‹ Prequel: Insane Love
Status: Updated! New chapter is half-written and will be up in a few weeks (Apr-May 2016)

Don't Fall Back

The Reminder

“You can love someone so much...But you can never love people as much as you can miss them.” ― John Green


The refs blew their whistles. Two of them skated towards Chris Neil and Colton Orr, who'd been barking at each other every chance they got. There was a scrum behind Reimer's net, and David Clarkson and Leo Komarov had his back.

"You're such a pussy," Neil chirped, putting his glove to his mouth as the refs pushed him back.

"You're fucking skating away from me, and I'm the pussy?" Colton pointed at his chest, laughing in the process.

The game headed to a T.V timeout and the pileup began clearing. Colton looked up at the board, to see there was 7:46 left in the third period. As he skated towards the Leafs bench he made eye-contact with Tyler, who quickly looked away.

There was still tension between them. It had been a week since they'd hung out. It went from seeing each other almost every morning, day, and night, to only when they had no choice but to have contact.

As the last five minutes of the third inched closer, Colton could feel anger taking over him. He was angry at Tyler for ditching him when he needed him, at Phil for taking his side, at Mia for leaving him, at Neil and the rest of the Sens for the shit they were talking. He gritted his teeth. Neil was laughing on the opposing team's bench, eyeing Colton down.

"What's wrong? Lost for words?" Neil yelled, as he chewed on his mouth-guard. "Hey, if this is about the breakup, why don't you leave early, go get some ice cream or something."

"Don't fucking talk about her!" Colton stood up on the bench, raising his voice enough to catch the attention of both benches. Both teams were riled up.

"Maybe she left some tampons for you," he smirked, standing up as well and putting his arms out in surrender.

As soon Carlyle tapped Colton's back, he jumped onto the ice with the mere goal of going after him. They were both on, Neil racing for the puck that Nazem Kadri had, and Colton gaining speed towards him.

Chris was by the boards near Reimer's net, he hadn't yet touched the puck. He couldn't see Colton behind him.

Colton's mind was racing with thoughts full of hatred. He ran into Neil's back with his right shoulder at full force, his elbow crashing into the middle. Neil fell to his knees. The refs blew the whistle and Canadian Tire Centre filled with mixed loud, opposing and approving boos.

"WHAT THE FUCK!?" Randy screamed from the bench, throwing his arms up, glaring at his player.

Colton got a game misconduct. "Ughhh!" he shouted, breaking his stick as he ran down the tunnel.

He sat in the visitor locker room for the rest of the game. He took off his jersey and sat with his hands folded. He sighed and rubbed his forehead. He didn't want that much force in his elbow thrust. He didn't expect the Sens team doctors to come out and escort him as he hunched over.

The Leafs lost 3-2 on Monday in regulation to one of their rival teams. They were on a five game losing streak. The boys came to the locker room with their heads down. Colton changed into his gray suit, white dress-shirt, and brown dress shoes. Leo put his hand on Colton's shoulder and patted it a few times. It took a few minutes, but Randy and the staff arrived.

"Colton, come to my office," Randy held his tie as he looked at him, and turned away quickly.

He sighed, knowing he was about to get lectured. "Yes coach,"

Only a few minutes had passed when Colton found himself standing outside Carlyle's room. He thought it would be about his game misconduct, possibly a warning about being sent down, or the suspension that was yet to come. He knocked on the door and opened it.

"Come in, sit," Randy motioned to the small couch in front of his desk. He sat on the edge of the table as Colton approached the seat.

"I honestly don't even know where to begin with you," he said, shrugging his shoulders. "I thought I'd give you a break the first few days, but now it's getting out of control."

He did not have to hear more than those words to understand what he was talking about. Colton ran his fingers through his hair as he continued to speak.

"The shit you pulled off today is unacceptable, by the league's standards and definitely my own," Carlyle crossed his arms, raising his voice. "People chirp. People talk shit. Neil does that, and you always take care of it, but this was not about him, was it now?"

Colton did not respond. He had his elbows placed on his knees and was looking ahead at the wooden statue of an untied skate on the table.

"It was about your personal life, and what happened between you and---" he paused, not saying her name. "You let that affect your play. You let your anger out on him, and frankly, I'm getting sick of the other things you've been doing off the ice," he told him. "What is this? You come to practice late, you don't communicate with the boys, you don't put in the effort we need."

"I lost my temper," Colton finally spoke. He only did it to make him quit with the speech so he could leave and go home. He was exhausted. "It won't happen again."

"You're damn right it won't," he responded quickly. "I already got a call, you're probably getting fined. But next time, it's a suspension."

He cursed under his breath.

"This is not the Orr I know or we know. You cannot let this affect you. I'm not just talking about the game." Randy added, sighing and sitting on the edge of his desk. "You're tough as nails. Let's start acting like it again. I want you to stay healthy, eat properly, stop drinking before games, groom yourself, and show up on time, for fuck's sake."

Colton nodded again.

"C'mon, Colts. It's time to move forward with your life," Randy stood up, and went closer to him as he got up as well. He patted his shoulder. "And head straight to the locker room, I need to talk to you guys as a whole about something," he added, loosening his tie.

Colton went home that evening and downed a couple Advils with a glass of water. He laid in bed with his suit on, staring up at the ceiling for an hour. He had a headache from it all. It was the first time he wished another team would trade for him. The media was stressing him out. This unwanted drama with Tyler as well. He felt like everything was fading out from his life.

He decided it was time to write to her. At least Lana was still keeping her promise of mailing his letters. He needed to let it out. He went to his office in the next room and sat down in his chair. He turned on the lamp and stared at the blank paper for a moment, before beginning.

Dear Mia,

I hope you've been doing well. It's been almost two months without you. Everything is falling apart here. Things have been different. And I wish you were here to put the pieces back together.

Tyler and I aren't talking. A couple days ago we had a fight. He says I've changed since you left. He says he's tried to help me but I won't take it, but I think otherwise. The boys have been acting strange towards me too. And you remember how I feel about Chris Neil? He took it too far and I got a warning from the league. You're the only one that would understand why he got under my last nerve. We've won two out of our last nine games. Tonight, Carlyle told us he's been fired, and the announcement will be in the morning. Some reporters have been on my back too, lately, calling me lazy and unworthy.

I hope things are better for you. It's just so dull in our house now. It all seems black and white without you. I still miss you, more than ever. I think about you all the time. I wish you'd come back. Please, write back to me. I just want to hear from you.

I love you.

Colton


Eleven hours later, with the brightness of the morning sun beaming at his eyes, Colton's phone went off. He blinked several times, his neck aching in pain from the way he'd slept on his bed. He tapped the green phone and answered the call without seeing who it was.

"Mm-ello?" he mumbled, rubbing his forehead.

"Do you have a letter or not?" Lana's voice startled him.

"Oh, yeah, shit," he said, getting up slowly.

"I'm on my way to pick it up," she replied.

"Okay," he yawned, before she hung up. He glanced over at the few sips of whiskey left in the bottle beside his bed, and chugged it down.

A few minutes after getting changed into some track pants and a long sleeved Reebok shirt, he heard the doorbell. He opened it to see Lana.

"Come in," he stepped aside.

She walked inside. "I'm not staying, I just need the letter. I have a busy day."

"I'll go get it," Colton responded, heading up the stairs and returning. "Here," he handed her an envelope, that she would soon fill out with the address.

She glanced around the place. It was even messier than before. She sighed. "Do you want to come?"

He looked up, slightly confused. "Where?"

"I have to run some errands. Tyler won't be up until the afternoon, probably," she answered, zipping up her red jacket.

He followed her out and locked the doors. He sat beside her in her white Mustang. They sat in silence for the beginning part of the ride.

"So, what errands?" Colton asked curiously, scratching the back of his neck.

"Sending this letter, getting some groceries," Lana replied.

He watched out the window for several minutes. He wasn't sure where they were going after she sent his letter away, but he assumed a store that she normally went to. Although, after being in the car for almost twenty minutes, he was starting to get suspicious.

"So," he coughed once again. "How come we didn't stop at the supermarkets we passed earlier?"

She didn't say anything.

"Lana?" he stared at her, raising an eyebrow.

Suddenly the car came to a slow stop. Colton looked ahead and immediately became furious. Lana had pulled up to a building Colton had never seen, but he understood what it was. After all, the large sign implanted with Toronto Rehabilitation Institute gave it away.

"You have to be kidding me," he turned to her sharply.

She released her grip from the steering wheel. "Colton.."

"I don't need help!" he raised his voice. "Turn the car around. Right now."

"Listen. They can help you stop drinking. There are ways to move forward from this stage and get back to your normal healthy self and--"

He unbuckled his seat belt and opened the car door promptly. He closed it with force.

"Colton!" Lana sighed, getting up and out as well. People passing by on the sidewalks sent glances their way.

"I'm not a fucking alcoholic!" he told her, throwing his arms up.

"I know! But I'm scared for you, we're all scared that it might get to that level," she promised.

"Just cut the bullshit, alright? You're not being thoughtful, you're being stubborn," he snapped. "I'm not an addict, for fuck's sake! I'm hurting because she left me! Do I not have the right!?"

Lana put her hands on her hips and sighed. She tried to avoid eye-contact with some of the elderly couples nearby.

He gritted his teeth. He scratched his forehead, his blood boiling. "Am I not allowed to be upset!?"

"You are, but--"

"I get that it was my fault, but that does not make anyone feel better in any way!" he yelled. He paced around in semi-circles on the pavement for a moment.

He cursed under his breath and sat down on the curb, putting one arm over his knee. Lana stood by the car for a few seconds, before slowly doing the same. She crossed her arms and they sat in silence, as the spectators began to leave the area.

"It'll always be the worst mistake I ever made," his voice got quieter, with a more gentle tone. He looked down at his thumbs. "That's for sure."

She brought her knees up to her chest. She was surprising herself, she actually felt bad for him. "I'm sorry for bringing you here out of your will. It's just, Tyler was worried. He felt like he couldn't talk to you. Your teammates Dion and Phil, also."

He kept staring forward. "My second biggest fear is that Mia won't believe I loved her."

"What's your first?"

"Her not coming back to me," he stood up and brushed himself off. He started walking back towards Lana's car, and she followed him shortly after.

**

"You fucking dick, keep your fucking stick down!" Tyler shouted, rubbing his right cheek that stung from the blade that hit him just moments ago.

"Get over it you pussy," Chris Neil laughed out, with the refs circling around them, missing the call.

"Play fair you fucking idiot," Dion Phaneuf shoved Neil, and multiple players from both teams joined in the huddle. Colton rushed to the scene, being part of the juggled lines Laviolette had rounded up. The score was 1-1 for the Sens and Leafs and there was heated tension between the rivals.

Colton felt the urge to drop the gloves with Neil. He absolutely despised him, he'd been throwing dirty hits and embellishing the whole game. However, it had been five days since Colton and Tyler actually hung out, or talked in the locker room. They would shoot each other glances and such but they hadn't discussed their personal lives. The last conversation they had resulted in Tyler cussing, "When you're ready to stop being a dick, and stop taking your anger out on the people that care about you, you can call us. Because I'm done looking after you."

The same tired line was stuck on an icing call. Tyler took the next faceoff and won. Karlsson quickly stole the puck and took a shot at the net. Reims stopped the puck with his left pad and it bounced to Phaneuf, who passed it to Gardiner, who met Tyler at the boards. Neil hit him from the side, his elbow going up and hitting his chin. Still, no whistle by the refs.

"What the fuck is your problem?" Tyler yelled, as Phaneuf stole the loose puck and went down the ice. Colton looked just in time to see what was going on.

Neil furrowed his eyebrows, while skating away. He loosened his grip on his glove. "Let's go buddy,"

"Yeah? You wanna fight?" Bozie went towards him, the ref now noticing. "I'll--"

Colton skated in the large space between them and shoved Neil, almost tipping him backwards. They both dropped their sticks, their gloves flying to the ground. The Scotiabank Place crowd roared with eagerness. Colton took the first punch with his right hand, hitting the side of his face. They grabbed onto the shoulder pads of their jerseys, trying to control their balance on the slippery surface. Chris punched his chin, Colton threw multiple shots at his cheek, they were going at it hard with their teammates watching.

Colton's blood was boiling, he had had enough of him going after his teammates for no reason. Especially Tyler. It was like going after his own flesh, and he took to his defense in an instant, despite the drama between them. The refs let the fight continue on, as Colton knocked Neil's helmet off and he punched his nose with his fist. Blood came quickly came running down both of their noses as the refs broke up the wrestle.

They both skated away. Colton rolled up his sleeves, eyeing Neil down. "Don't ever fucking go after him!" he gritted his teeth and pointed with his finger at him across the ice, as the crowd grew even louder.

The players of both teams tapped the boards with their sticks as they both headed down the tunnels. Everything seemed to be moving slowly as Colton went down to the medical room. It would be the first time in two years that Mia wouldn't be there waiting for him. Suddenly, the sound got quieter, and he sighed heavily, missing her in the darkness of the tunnel.

When the final buzzer sounded thirteen minutes later, the Leafs fell to a 2-1 loss, extending their losing streak. Phil tapped Colton, praising him for the fight. Their new coach, Peter Laviolette, walked into the locker room shortly.

"Mistakes around our own net, boys," he spoke, glancing around at the men tying their ties or taking off their skates.

Colton sat beside Leo Komarov and Dion Phaneuf, with his hands folded, looking ahead. He thought about the fight, and what it would mean since he had just received a warning two days before. When Lavy was done with his post-game speech, he headed towards him.

"You have a hearing with the league Orrsie. Not exactly sure when, tomorrow or Friday," he told him, then shrugged lightly. "Sorry."

"Yeah," Colton nodded, not at all surprised.

Just as he was about to leave the locker room after changing, he caught Tyler running up to him. They both stood in awkwardness for a moment.

"I had him," Bozie coughed, putting his hands on his hips. "You didn't have to, you know,"

"I know," he replied, nodding. "But you shouldn't have to waste energy on him."

They both chuckled. Tyler cleared his throat. "Sorry I snapped. I don't understand what you're going through, so I won't try to force you to feel a certain way. So..."

Colton smiled faintly. "Come 'ere you loser."

They put their hands out and did a coordinated handshake, bringing each other in for a quick hug.

"Hey! You guys sisters again?" Phil joined in, laughing, as they walked out of the Air Canada Center. "Let's stop somewhere, I'm hungry as fuck."

---

November 2014

Time flew by before they could catch it. It was snowing. The grass was still green, but little flakes of snow were beginning to fall. You could see your breath in the cold air, your feet needed thicker socks, the November trees were empty without the leaves they had at the start of Autumn. Time had changed by the millisecond.

Mia had spent quite some time with Luke since their first kiss that ended promptly after Mia's panic attack. Two weeks had passed since and almost each day after work, she would await his call around the evening and they would go out, whether it was at a cafe around the corner or a pool bar downtown. She tried her best to enjoy her time with him. He bought her drinks and drove her home. They had spent Halloween night together at a party he organized, with people she didn't know.

She had even gotten an interview with a gym nearby. They needed someone trained in sports medicine to be there full time, as it was where athletes went for physical therapy. Mia was a medical doctor with three years experience, and was fully qualified. Tutherford’s Gym & Physical Rehab Institute hired her the next day.

It was the first Thursday of November when Mia knew what was coming up next Wednesday. The grand opening of the new hotel Lana had designed. Back in Toronto. She and Lana had only spoken once this week. She understood her best friend was probably busy with the party planning and the speech she had to memorize. Mia missed being apart of it, being able to help first-hand.

"Just tilt your head up a little," the hair stylist, Kim, told her.

"Sorry," Mia replied. She waited patiently as the woman added the dye. She was getting blonde ombre at the ends of her dark brown hair.

She had brought her hands up from under the cape, and was holding Colton's folded up letter in her hands. She had read it six times since it arrived in the mail earlier in the morning. The fact that Tyler and Colton's friendship had winded down shocked her the most. They had been friends for as long as she could remember. Even before she'd been hired by the Leafs, just paying attention to the team as a fan had given her an idea. Ty always seemed to look up to him for protection and advice, and she'd seen it on T.V the night before when Colton came to his defense.

After leaving the salon, she was on her way back to her apartment when her phone rang. She instantly grinned at the caller ID.

"Lana!" she answered.

"Mia!" the voice replied. "How are you girl?"

“I'm okay,” Mia replied, unlocking her Range Rover with the click of a button. “I was actually just thinking about you,”

“Oh? What for?”

“The big day is near. The hotel you've been working on for so long.”

“Yeah,” Lana chuckled, smiling on the other line. “Listen, Mia, you don't have to explain.”

She sat inside the car. “Sorry?”

“I understand it would be really tough to come back,” she sighed. “I mean, Tyler will be here. And I know how much it would mean to me if you were there, but I'm not going to make you come. You've been through so much.”

Mia nudged her lips with her index finger, staring at the steering wheel of her parked car. An idea instantly was brought upon her. She smiled. “I'm sorry, Lana.”

“It’s okay,” there was a pause. “It’s not your fault.”

“Send me pictures though, alright?” she insisted, picking on a loose thread on her long peach sweater.

“I will. Text you later okay?” Lana responded.

“Okay,” she replied, before ending the call. She smiled to herself. She was ready to visit the place, even if it would still hurt. She was going to do it for her friend. She was going to return to Toronto and surprise her at the opening next week.

**

The next day at 11:34am, Colton trudged back to his bed, where he sat on the side and opened up the small box. The diamond covered ring and the big stone on top was shining inside the box, rather than being around her finger.

"You guys are killing her here with these questions," Dion chuckled, standing near his locker. "Let's just give her some space."

Some of the boys continued chatting among themselves about things Colton wasn't listening to. He was still looking at the new team doctor that had just been introduced. She glanced at him and quickly looked back when he kept the stare going. He squinted his eyes slightly, and stood up and walked over to her, not breaking eye-contact

She stood way shorter than him, with her arms crossed and her chin tilted up a bit. She had a soft tan, and long, straight brown hair parted slightly on one side. Her diamond earring studs were no match for her glowing eyes. He thought she was beautiful. He didn't know what came over him. He would never say that, unless it's what it took to get under someone. Colton shook himself out of it.

"You've got some serious balls coming out to work for a hockey team," he said to her, nodding. He said it to test her reaction. "I'm impressed."

"For your information, Mr. Orr," she raised one eyebrow up at him. "I'm not a little princess who can't handle looking after 20 grown men," she added freely. "Besides, this is the career I chose."

"But can you handle what the boys actually expect from you?" he said devilishly, with a curve of his lips and a spark in his eyes.

"That's not the type of girl I am," she squinted her eyes, standing her ground. "I'm not gonna fall for anyone because that's not what I'm here for."

He inhaled. "We'll see about that," he smirked and walked passed her, just lightly brushing her shoulder.

He walked to put his towel away and turned to see her looking at him. This time, she walked towards him. He gave her a small chuckle. Her cheeks were red and she looked very defensive. Colton was amused, but he respected it. Someone that could stand up for herself; it sounded familiar.

"I will not be your toy here," she lowered her voice, still making him grin. "I've heard about the things you do with your girlfriends. You're the type to say you'll call but you don't."

"That's why they're not my girlfriends, doc," he smiled lightly at her, seeing a tinted pink wash over her cheeks. "That's why I don't date. If I did, I'd be committed. But they even know not to expect too much. Maybe you're just a more romantic type."

"There's nothing wrong with being a.." she exaggerated the word, "romantic..type."

"There isn't," he shrugged, eyeing her down. He enjoyed teasing her. "I'm just sayin', spend the night with me. Who knows, I might just call."

"Amazing," she said with loud sarcasm. She rolled her eyes. "I don't even know why I'm talking to you about this. None of it matters to me."

She turned away from him but he stood by her side. He sighed loudly, "Maybe we just click,"

"You should click out of here," she chuckled at her response.

He laughed. "Ooh, a sassy one."

She looked over at him again, her brown eyes catching his attention and her pink lips saying aloud, "I'm here for one thing, Mr. Orr, to help you boys when you're down. Not to fall for your shenanigans."

He kept the same smile going, but really meant when he said, "Welcome aboard, doc." He figured it would be interesting for as long as he was a Leaf. There was something different about this girl. She seemed like home, in human form.


He played with the ring with his fingers, smiling at the memory of when they first met. He would run a million miles just to go back to that moment, so he could have a chance to redo what he did three years later. It tore him inside knowing that she was right the whole time.

"Colton?" Lana's voice broke the silence. She was shocked at what she was seeing in front of her.

He looked up from the ring but didn't say anything.

"U-Um," she stuttered, glancing at the ground. She’d come with Tyler, and had offered to clean up the big house while they went to Tim Horton’s. Colton refused but she insisted she’d at least do his laundry. "You coming? The boys are ready downstairs.”

He cleared his throat, and closed the box. "Yeah.”

Lana stood there in silence. Not only did Tyler want him to get up, but she did too, surprisingly. She had changed her opinion on him. He was very vulnerable and she was sure the last thing he needed was another negative aspect in his life. She bit her lip and went to sit beside him on the bed. She reached for the box and opened it.

She glanced at him beside her and he sighed. "You were going to propose," she said quietly.

"I still feel the same way, you know," he said. "Nothing's changed."

There was silence. She said, "True love."

Colton glanced at her to his side, making her look over as well. He hadn't expected her to show sympathy for him. Especially all that she'd said to him the last couple of months.

She let out a soft sigh. "You were a good friend to me. You guys got Tyler and I talking for the first time. You are human, you made a mistake. I should not be so ignorant."

A small, hopeless smile appeared across his face. For the first time, she said something nice to him. He looked down at his lap. "You have every right to be mad, she's your best friend."

"Yes," she agreed. "But you should not ruin yourself because of it. Colton, you must forgive yourself,” she paused. She put her hand on his back and patted it briefly. “I forgave you."

He let out a long sigh. He stood up and put the box away in the drawer of his bed side table.

"Thank you. I really appreciate it."

She smiled. "Please come to the grand opening of the Toronto Royale next week. You were invited in the first place, I want you there, and I know Tyler's been secretly convincing me all these weeks," she laughed.

"I'll be there," he nodded with a thankful smile, shaking her hand into a deal.

"Now go. There's someone you really want to see waiting by your driveway!"

He squinted his eyes at her, not sure of who she meant. He tried to smile before he left the room and went down the stairs. The person he really wanted to see was Mia. He hoped to God that somehow, it was her.

When he got to the driveway with his jacket on, he stopped in his tracks.

"GET OVER HERE YOU BEAST!" Mike Brown threw his arms out.

“Holy fuck,” Colton exclaimed and rushed towards him. He hugged his best friend. Tyler and Phil followed shortly after.

“Shit I forgot the Oilers were in town for tomorrow,” he laughed lightly, slapping his hand into a handshake.

Mike looked at him for a while and glanced at Tyler.

“What?” Colton grinned.

“Nothing,” Brownie smiled back lightly and cleared his throat. “Let’s fucking go ladies. I need some coffee, it’s too early.”

After the four of them parked in the Timmies parking lot, along with Dion Phaneuf and Nazem Kadri who came along. Mike rode with Colton in his car. They all ordered their drinks, in which they made the captain pay for, and then sat down near the end of the restaurants with their baseball caps on. A few kids went up and asked for autographs on their phone cases.

“Man we haven't had this in so long,” Dion said, after half an hour.

“So Randy’s gone, huh,” Mike chuckled.

“Yeah Lavy’s alright so far,” Nazem replied, sipping his double-double.

Brownie glanced at Colton. “Man, I was really looking forward to fighting you tomorrow.”

They all laughed. He shrugged, “Me too. But three games.”

“My fuck I'm gonna kick the shit out of Neil next time we play him, guys,” Mike said, referring to the last two times the Leafs had played Ottawa and he’d been dirty on the ice.

“I'm with you on that,” he chuckled, tilting his coffee cup. Colton had received a three game suspension from Shanahan and the department.

After an hour of sitting and catching up, they were all ready to leave and go to Tyler and Phil’s apartment to play NHL on their Xbox.

“Wanna grab some Timbits?” Tyler suggested.

“Yeah sure, I'll get them. The usual?” he asked his teammates and Mike. They nodded and he went in line as they went to their cars.

He waited for the 50 assorted Timbits. The employee called for the next person in line, and Colton moved to the side. He put his hands in his Nike sweatpants pockets and looked around the place.

His eyes stopped wandering. He looked straight ahead at the second person in line, whose back was turned to him. His heart started beating faster. She had long brown hair, was wearing black leggings and a Bench jacket. By the way she stood, her hair, her height and weight, she looked like Mia. He swallowed a lump in his throat.

The girl went to order and then stood to the side of the other till, waiting for what she requested. An employee shook him from his deep thoughts when she called him to get the package of Timbits. He thanked her and then turned his attention back to the mystery girl.

He moved slowly in her direction. He stopped just a few steps behind her. His mouth opened cautiously. “Mia?”

She looked up from her phone and turned around. His shoulders slouched.

“Oh--sorry,” he said. He studied her face for a moment. She too had beautiful brown eyes but not the same like Mia.

“It’s okay,” she replied, smiling lightly. She looked back at him because he kept staring. “I'm Sophie.”

He forced a smile. He didn't want to be rude, but he was still recovering from being so sure it was Mia standing there. He shook himself out of it. “Colton,” he reached his hand out for hers and shook it.

“Sorry I--” he spoke. “--you just looked like someone else from behind,” he laughed gently.

She chuckled. Just as she was about to speak, Mike had entered and stood still in his tracks behind her.

“Oh my god. Mia?” he asked quietly, suddenly goosebumps crawling on top of his skin.

Sophie turned around and chuckled again. She looked at them back and forth. “Well.. I hope this Mia girl is wonderful.”

Colton smiled at the ground sadly. He made eye-contact with Mike.

“Ah, sorry, my bad,” he cleared his throat uncomfortably. “Um, I'll take those. We’ll be waiting.” Brownie said, taking the small box from him. He left the scene but paused when he got to the door. He looked back at them while they talked about things he couldn't hear. He watched for a moment, before sighing sadly and exiting.

Sophie put a strand of her hair over her ear. “Listen um, can I give you my number? Maybe we could go get some coffee.”

Colton swallowed the spit left in his dry throat. He opened his mouth to reply but the words couldn't come out.

“Oh sorry I--”

“No, no, sorry. Sure,” he shook his head. He didn't want to refuse, he felt bad, it wasn't her fault she looked like Mia. He just wasn't used to talking to other girls since the situation happened.

After she put her number in his phone, he went back to the parking lot, where the boys were standing outside all by Phil’s car.

“Hey,” Colton put his hands in his pockets, as they all looked at him. “Ready?”

“Yeah let's go, I wanna play and kick your losing ass,” Tyler punched Nazem’s shoulder.

To be continued..
♠ ♠ ♠
PLEASE READ :)
***Stick with me, not much of a spoiler because I'm sure you put two-and-two together in these 6000 words, but yes.. Mia and Colton will meet again next chapter.***

There will NOT be a two year wait for an update again hah...hah, I already am working on the next chapter and have many pages of it written. It will be an eventful one, nonetheless, (but not the most eventful chapter in this story. That will come and you'll yell at me for it. Anyways.)

Omg hey guys! It's been almost two years! Omg. I've been wanting to update this for so long. I didn't know if there was still enough interest throughout the years, and I hit writer's block, and I got so busy with school and work. I'm so sorry if you've been waiting for an update. I've been working on this chapter, believe it or not, for the past year and a half. I've had it saved as a draft and I kept adding bits and pieces. I thought about it almost every day but for some reason, just never sat to write a chapter length. This is my longest piece, for sure. Just know that the beginning, or first two thousand words or so, was written almost two years ago :') I did not change the plan for this story. It will get pretty crazy, and I do still want to go on with the events I've planned for the past two years, just much more detailed and even more drama added.

I will update when I have finished the next chapter. I owe you this for sure. I want to see if there's still interest in this story, and please leave me comments telling me how you are, about new stories you've read, what you hope to see in Colton and Mia's meeting next, and how you felt about this chapter. Please! And thank you. :)

I will post again in less than a few weeks, I just want to make sure it's a juicy chapter and well-edited to perfection. Till then. Xo -Anita