Forever Spring

It had been five months. Five months from the start of sweater season. Five months from when the snow birds began to head south for some sun. Five months from when the ski lodges opened for business. Five months from when the water began to turn to slush and seep into beat up tennis shoes walking down the street. Five months of constant commotion. The towns were chaotic as everyone finally got around to their Christmas shopping and checking the last few items off their lists. Packages were being mailed to family members far away and the channels on TV wouldn't stop advertising for special holiday shipping.

This had been Leona's favorite time of year and Ray knew it. He loved the idea of taking her to ice skate amongst all the other skaters in the rink. He was delighted at the thought of taking off his thick jacket and throwing it over her frozen frame as she shook in line for hot cocoa. Ray was blown away by the gorgeous glow her small face gave off when her cheeks were flushed and her nose was as pink as a rose. It had always brought out the best in them and gave him an extra reason to pull her in close to cuddle her into his chest. It was another way to win her over just like he did the first time, but better.

But this Winter had gone by too fast and as the season came to a close, so did the smiles and laughter. Leona's father had grown sick and she knew she had to leave by the first day of spring. Ray would drive her to the airport, reluctantly, and give her one last kiss. Leona would tear up and give him one last squeeze before pulling her cap over her ears and tightening the knitted scarf around her neck. She would make it halfway to the gate and drop her carry-on's and run for her life towards Ray to promise him that she would come back and make him promise to keep in touch in return.

It had been five months and Leona still hadn't heard from Ray since the day she left him gasping in the airport, puffy eyed and alone.
  1. Chapter o1.
    Where are You?