‹ Prequel: Northern Downpour

Waking Up in Vegas

11

Haley sat on the bed upstairs, her datebook out and her phone on speaker in her hand. She was negotiating a venue and price and using her datebook (with all of Kevin's scheduled events), she was trying to nail a date for the wedding. A soft knock was overheard at the door. Haley's mom appeared in the doorway. Haley hadn't actually talked to her mom in nearly five days after their blowup at dinner and it made family meals tense.

"Haley." Her mom's voice echoed quietly as she stepped into the room.

Haley looked up and held up her finger for a moment, "Uh huh, yeah, March 17th, 2014. at 2:00 pm." Haley said, "Great, we'll take it." She paused, "Yes, we'll need an officiant. Mhmm. Mhmm. OK, Sounds great!" Haley said goodbye and hung up the phone, looking up at her mother.

"Haley, Let's talk."

"Talk or berate me for my life choices?"

Haley's mom sat with an exasperated sigh, moving her daughter's datebook. "Haley, I just don't want to see you hurt again. The miscarriage hurt you so much, I don't want to see you back there."
Haley looked at her mother, "Mom, Did I ever tell you how Ryan's father and I met?" Haley asked, pulling her legs up closer to her, she was sure she didn't.

"No," She paused, "Is it something I should know?" Her mom asked perplexed.

Haley shrugged, "Ryan's father and I met through mutual friends when I was in New York," Haley tucked a piece of hair behind her ear, "That much, I am sure you know... or, maybe you don't." She shrugged, "His name is Kevin. He was seeing someone, I wasn't really looking, things just happened and that led us to Ryan."

Haley's mom frowned and reached out to take her hand, she knew how much losing the baby had hurt Haley, "But what does this have to do with your marriage?"

Haley laughed a little, "My husband? The man I woke up married to in Vegas? Kevin." Haley laughed a little, "Sometimes I feel like the universe said that Ryan being sent to us wasn't a strong enough signal or something. The truth is, yeah, Vegas was a mistake but you learn from your mistakes and we're really trying mom."

Haley's mom sighed and nodded slowly, "As long as you're happy honey, that's what is really important at the end of the day."

Haley nodded and threw her arms around her mom. "So, I've just set a date, for the spring." Haley wiped at her eyes, "I need a dress now and I need someone to go dress shopping with." She laughed a little, "I need my mom to go dress shopping with me."
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit: Miss California by Jack's Mannequin