‹ Prequel: Northern Downpour

Waking Up in Vegas

03

The whole ride from the airport in Santa Ana to Kevin's home was mostly quiet. Haley just looked out the window as they drove along the pacific ocean. The coastline was gorgeous, and, something Haley never thought she'd ever get to see. Despite Haley's fear, her gut feeling of being so scared that this wasn't going to work, she looked at Kevin for a moment.

"Promise me some day, we'll go swimming in the ocean.." Haley said, letting her voice trail off as she continued to gaze out the window. Haley meant what she was saying, she had felt something for Kevin before, but, was it just lust?

"Ok." Was all Kevin replied as he looked at her. Kevin's hand reached out to hold the one that was resting on Haley's lap. The truth was that Kevin was just as nervous and scared as Haley. This was the girl of his dreams, even if he wasn't the man of hers.

As they pulled in to the drive, "Ah, um," Kevin paused, "I should warn you, I generally have house-mates or people staying at the house at any given time."

Haley raised an eyebrow, "You don't live by yourself?" She questioned as she opened the door and stared at the ranch-style home. There was grass in the yard, some kind of fruit-bearing tree, and a garden off to the side. The whole entire house was framed by trees. It really wasn't what Haley was expecting yet, it was everything she had expected.

Kevin grabbed her bag out of the back for Haley and gave her a shrug, "It feels strange to be alone." Kevin said. Kevin spent the majority of his days with friends and people when he was on the road. To come home to an empty home, to him, would be weird. He couldn't imagine going in to the kitchen to find the house completely empty, no one to hold a conversation with or anything. Kevin was a social person and he liked being a social person.

Haley took her bag and headed in to the house, "Did my stuff show up already?" Haley asked, biting her lip.

Kevin gave a nod, holding the door for her, "I, uh, I didn't know what to—"

"I think it would be best if we stayed in separate rooms." Haley blurted out. Yes, they were married, but they still hardly knew each other and Haley didn't feel comfortable staying in the same bed as Kevin. It would be weird.

Kevin gave a nod, "I figured you would." Kevin said quietly, "So I put your things in one of the guest rooms. There's a bed and a dresser for you." Kevin had bought them for her, knowing that she probably wouldn't be shipping her bed out to California. "You can put whatever you want in there." Kevin continued to show her the house.

Haley was pleasantly surprised. The house seemed to be in good shape. Obviously remodeled but it had this kind of charm. There were obvious signs of Kevin's love for Vermont and family scattered throughout the house. It kind of reminded her of Colorado. "Thanks." Haley said quietly. As much as she felt obligated to be here, she was grateful that he even wanted her here.

Kevin gave a small nod, "Look, I got some stuff to do so I'll leave you here to get settled." he said, turning to leave.

"You're leaving me here?" Haley asked, a little confused.

Kevin shrugged, "Look, it's just a thing that Oakley is helping put on, I have to go make an appearance. I should be back tonight but there's a store down the street and a couple of bikes in the garage if you need to go anywhere." Kevin smiled, Haley looked a little lost, "You'll be absolutely fine, I promise."

Haley wasn't worried about being alone. She was tired and a little overwhelmed at the whole situation. It had all happened so fast. Her parents had initially been worried about her move but she reassured them that she had somewhere to stay for the time being and that she'd be ok. Haley also felt guilty that Kevin was being so nice to her and yet, she seemed so stand-offish. She just didn't want to get hurt like before.

Kevin retreated to the master bedroom. It was dark. As he flipped on the light and headed to the master bath, he sighed. Part of him had hoped that she would want to go.. that she would be making a vested effort to put forth something but at the same time, Jack had warned him that this could take time. They were both scared of each other and in an awkward situation. Another part of him couldn't blame her. He'd unknowingly hurt her in the past, he had made her feel like she couldn't be open with him. That was the last thing Kevin wanted.

Haley sat on the bed in the spare room, which was now her room, and twirled the gold band around her finger.The sun shined in through the window, letting her know that there was still a considerable amount of daylight left. Haley shook her head as she got up to head to the kitchen.

Haley heard a car start and then pull out of the drive, Kevin must have just left. Which meant she was alone as she explored the house. She eventually found herself in the hallway looking at some of the photos that were hung on the wall. She stopped at one that showed Kevin, his brothers, their parents. All dressed up. Looked about to be a wedding. She felt a small pang of guilt. Kevin must have been close with his family, it must have hurt him to hide this from them.

"Kevin?" A male voice called, the sound of the front door opening. Haley stood frozen a bit in the hallway, her head turned to see who was coming around the corner. It was Jack, of all people.

Haley felt relieved when she realized it was Jack. "Hi."

Jack looked perplexed, "Was moving in day today?" He asked, approaching her with wide open arms and a big hug.

Haley had always loved that Jack always greeted her with a hug. "Yeah, I'm here now." Haley said with a little laugh. "and Kevin's gone." Haley said, her voice soft, "The Oakley party."

Jack gave a nod, "Darn, I forgot that was tonight. Oh well."

Haley looked a little surprised, "You're not going to the Oakley party?" Haley didn't really know much about anyone's sponsors but obviously Oakley was one of Kevin's.

Jack shook his head and headed for the kitchen, "Nah," Haley followed as he talked, "They're not one of my sponsors. Besides, it's a surf movie and surfing is cool, just not my thing." Jack started rummaging through cupboards and pulling things out here and there.

Haley took a seat at the table as she watched him, "You seem to know your way around here pretty well." Haley said as he started various pans on the stove.

Jack chuckled, "Once upon a time, I did live here..." Jack's voice trailed off, "But! Now Squid does, well, sometimes. When he's not out with Sherpa. but yeah, I guess I still do."

Before Haley knew it, Jack had whipped up some food for them to eat. Funny thing was, he didn't even ask if she was hungry. He just whipped up food. Haley figured he must have liked to cook, and, she had to admit that Jack was pretty good. Whatever she was shoveling in her mouth (Some kind of grain, he called in Keen-Wah but it was actually spelled Quinoa, and some chicken he rubbed down with herbs and then steamed veggies) was god damn good.

Haley laughed as her plate sat on a box in her room. Her and Jack had begun the process to un-box some of her things and he happened to stumble upon her old high school yearbooks. It was funny going through old memories and Jack just letting her tell old stories about everything. She even pointed out her brother in a few of the books. Haley felt like they were old friends catching up and they were having a pretty good time unpacking her stuff.

"Yo, Jack... I know you're here, your—" Kevin called as he roamed the house, looking for Jack. He found them. Jack's head close to Haley's, uncomfortably close for Kevin, looking over something. He cleared his throat.

Haley turned and her cheeks burned a little, "Kevin, you're back." It must have been later than they realized as she took the book and closed it. "Jack was helping me unpack." Haley said.

Kevin just nodded, his eyes moving from the two of them to the now-empty plates and back, "Mmhmm." was all he said before he walked off to his own room, the door closing.

Haley frowned and sighed, tossing the book on the bed. She hadn't done anything, her and Jack hadn't done anything and Kevin seemed to be upset by it. She took the plates in to the kitchen to rinse them off, Jack following her, as perplexed as Haley. They were each quiet. Haley couldn't blame Kevin for being upset, but at the same time, she felt like he had no right to be. They weren't doing anything.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit: Six Feet Under The Stars by All Time Low

Hope you guys like it, sorry it's so long. I actually decided to move this story along a bit and decided against posting the original chapter 3.

Feedback is always appreciated!