‹ Prequel: Northern Downpour

Waking Up in Vegas

04

Haley was just stumbling in the door from her umpteenth interview this week. Four weeks had passed and she was dying to get work, nearly any kind of work, to get her out of the house. It wasn't an easy thing, having to rely on the bike to get so far to rely on the bus. She was late and missed her interview. She was burnt out and upset, but, more than anything, she was frustrated. She hated relying on Kevin to pay for everything and anything.

Kevin was sitting in the kitchen when he heard Haley kick off her shoes and slam the bedroom door closed. He sighed and looked towards the door, he knew she was frustrated. He knew how hard she was working to be independent of him and it pained him to see her struggle. He was trying, in his own way, to help her. He'd left the keys by her purse this morning, hoping she'd take his car but she didn't.

"Haley." Kevin said as he finally approached the closed bedroom door.

Haley looked up as she heard the older man's deep soft voice on the other side. She was already changed into a pair of jeans and was in the middle of changing her top when she opened the door, "Yeah?" She asked, trying desperately not to let on to how upset she was.

"Hey." Kevin looked down at her. He studied her face as though it would be the last time he saw it. It's how he'd always looked at Haley. Always.

Haley was trying, she was, but, she wasn't happy. How did one pretend to be happy? That was the ultimate question, "Hey." She pulled the door open farther and retreated inside, resuming her quest to change into clothes that weren't starched stiff.

Kevin stepped inside awkwardly. "Look, uh, I know you've been doing a lot of interviews this week." Kevin pushed a hand through his hair, "I, uh, I gotta go back to Vermont for a sponsor thing—"

Haley looked over at Kevin as she pulled the shirt over her head, "How long are you going to be gone?" She asked, cutting him off.

"Come with me." Kevin responded.

Haley was surprised. The invitation was unexpected. "Uh.."

Kevin smiled a little, "Look, I know, things have been rocky. I know this is new for both of us. But I don't want you to be here alone. besides, you can meet my family."

And there was the dreaded 'F' word that Haley was absolutely dreading. It wasn't that Haley wasn't sure that Kevin's family wouldn't be great, but, well. Let's put it this way. Your youngest son shows up on your doorstep with a girl, but no, not just any girl. His wife. Who he married in Vegas. Because this totally had 'Smooth Sailing' written all over it. "Yeah, because just what this glass relationship needs right now is family thrown in to the mix." Haley rolled her eyes.

Kevin nodded a little, "Yeah, no, I.. I've thought about this." Kevin stuttered out. The truth was, he was just as afraid of what they would say as she was but at the same time, he knew that his parents would no doubt welcome them, welcome Haley, with open arms. "My parents aren't... exactly typical. They are more of a hands-off approach type."

Haley wasn't exactly sold on the idea. She knew that if the situation was different, if she was taking Kevin home, there would be hell to pay for Vegas and she knew she'd never hear the end of it. "I have a feeling that I don't have a choice." Haley muttered as she looked up at the older.

Before Haley knew it, they were sitting in the driveway of Kevin's parent's house in Vermont. Kevin's brothers came out to greet him nearly as soon as they pulled in. Haley was nervous. How did they explain the wedding? Vegas? Everything? How would he explain her? Haley twirled the gold band on the necklace she was wearing as she stepped out of the rental car. One of Kevin's older brothers had already grabbed their bags and was dragging them inside.

Haley looked up at the white house and then around the overly large front yard. It was so picturesque and then it hit her as her eyes fell to rest on the barn. Before she knew it, she was over walking along the outside of it, her hand running along the siding as she headed around the back. She hadn't been here since. Not a thing had changed.

Haley was pulled from her thought by a voice, by Kevin's voice, "I didn't think I'd find you all the way out here." Kevin laughed a little.

Haley turned around to find Kevin standing directly behind her, "Yeah.." Haley's voice trailed off. "I haven't been back here since we first met. " Haley let her voice trail off as she looked at Kevin.

Kevin was smiling, he remembered the night they met. How could he forget. He fell in love with her right then, in the cold Vermont winter. Well, ok, maybe it was lust but something had clicked in him that made him want her. and here they were. Again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit: Alone Together by Fall Out Boy

My apologies for the lack of an update. I've been really busy traveling and seeing some frends. The FG was a blast and I highly suggest it, it's a real trip. Just go easy on the cookies yeah?

Also, don't forget to tune in this Monday, June 15th at 9pm EST on HBO for Kevin's movie The Crash Reel. Pack your tissues, it's definitely a tearjerker.