‹ Prequel: Northern Downpour

Waking Up in Vegas

05

Kevin pulled up outside the building, his sponsor, Burton Snowboards. He said he had some sponsor things to do and he had asked Haley to come with him for a reason. Another man in a suit was standing outside and shook Kevin's hand. Haley was nervous, obviously this had to do with something big otherwise why would that guy be wearing a suit and a tie and why would she be here.

"Tim Manning, my contract lawyer, this is Haley, my wife." Kevin said with a smile as he put his arm around Haley.

Haley looked sheepishly at Kevin and then the guy in the suit, "Well, clearly Kevin wastes no time." The man said as he shook her hand. She was still just confused about what they were doing here. "Ah, Sue is already inside. Shall we go in then?"

Tim held the door as they walked in to the building. There were bright colors and boards everywhere. Everyone seemed so laid back all at the same time. As Haley understood, this was a huge corporation that was Kevin's main sponsor, but she was still confused as to what it all had to do with her.

Kevin led the way into the small boardroom. An older woman, she had to be in her late 30s or early 40s, with long brown curls stood up right away and hugged Kevin tightly. "So great to see you Kevin."

Tim and sue sat on one side of the table together whereas Kevin and Haley sat across from them. After a couple of minutes silence Haley finally spoke, "Uh, I hate to be the one to say this, but I don't see how this pertains to me." Haley said anxiously.

Kevin chuckled and Sue smiled, "Honey, this has everything to do with you—"

"—What Sue means," Kevin said softly, "Is that I'm amending my contracts with a lot of my sponsors should something happen to me this season and any season in the future while we're together."

Haley frowned, turning from Sue and Tim, lowering her voice. "Kevin you don't have to do this." Haley said, looking at the older man. "I thought we agreed—"

Kevin cut her off, "—I know what we agreed to, but, should something happen to me while we're together there's no reason that you shouldn't be taken care of."

Haley looked at Kevin and just looked at his blue eyes that were staring at her; They were nearly sparkling. Plus, for the first time since that night in Vegas (assuming since then) she realized that when Kevin was going to do something, he was going to do it whether or not you wanted him to. "I don't have a choice do I." She said as more of a statement than a question.

As the meeting began and Kevin began reviewing all of his contracts with Sue, Haley and Tim went over some kind of contractual agreement. Haley read it slow and carefully. It was indeed the same verbal agreement they made that next morning, They would each leave the marriage with what they brought. Haley even read over the other contractual clause that should Kevin become hurt, severely, or even die, Haley would get everything.

Haley didn't like that clause at all. She didn't want everything if something were to happen to Kevin. It didn't feel right, at all. She figured most people wouldn't bat a lash at that. If anyone else were in her shoes and they were married to someone like Kevin who, literally, could wipe his ass with a hundred dollar bill and not care, she had no doubt that they would push for that clause. She wasn't interested in Kevin's money, hell, some days she didn't know if she was even into Kevin at all. But still, she took the pen from Tim and signed the contract. She knew that it was what Kevin wanted and that he would probably put up a fight if Haley protested to the clause.

Kevin looked at Haley as she was signing the papers in front of Tim. Kevin knew that what he'd drafted with Tim would be ok. It wasn't anything that Haley and himself hadn't agreed upon. Sue, meanwhile, was carefully amending certain contracts with some of Kevin's sponsors though to be fair some didn't need amending at all and Haley, due to wording already written on the contracts, was instantly amended in to them.

After nearly two hours of contracts and signings they were done. Kevin exited the boardroom with Haley, holding her hand he started to lead her down the hall, "I'm sorry that was so boring."

Haley gave a shrug, "Kevin, you didn't have to do any of that. You know that right?"

Kevin shrugged a little too, "I know, but, like I said, there's no reason you shouldn't be taken care of."

Haley sighed and just put her arm around the older man, leaning against him. "You're too good to me." she paused, "You shouldn't be."

Kevin leaned down and kissed the top of Haley's head, "You're my wife, I'm supposed to be."

Just as Kevin and Haley were nearly at the end of the walkway, a body came out of an open doorway and bumped into the both of them. "Oh god, I'm so sorry." the female voice called. "I should really watch where I'm going."

Kevin smiled and Haley looked from Kevin to the person in front of them, "It's ok El." Kevin replied.

Haley wanted to die, she wanted to cower up and curl into a ball. It was Ellery. Kevin's girlfriend or ex or thing. Ellery's own face was a tinge pink, probably from embarrassment. Ellery was quick to recover, "I.. I want to say you look familiar." Ellery said to Haley, "I'm Ellery."
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit: Bada Bing! Wit' a Pipe by Four Year Strong.

I've got some big things coming up, please keep reading. I just got a laptop battery so hopefully this will aid in getting this done a bit faster once I get the charge cycle all finished.