‹ Prequel: Northern Downpour

Waking Up in Vegas

08

Haley didn't answer the question about Vegas, instead choosing to brush it off and spend the evening with Jack. he night wore on and the bands started to play for the party as people filed in. Kevin had spotted Haley shortly after his arrival to the party, she was clinging to Jack with a drink in her hand. He was jealous of him and angry at her. How dare she spend the night with him when she was supposed to be by Kevin's side.

Haley was having a good time but as the night wore on, she plied herself from Jack's side, venturing out into the cooler air for a break. She looked around as she joined a small circle of people, "Can I bum a cig?" she asked the smokers.

Someone handed Hayly a smoke and lit it for her. She inhaled the smoke and let it out when after a few minutes, the group disappeared, leaving Haley to her own thoughts. She was too busy staring up at the stars that she didn't even notice the shorter figure appear beside her. Not until they spoke at least.

"Fancy seeing you here." Shaun approached Haley from just beyond the party. Shaun was alone, which both did and did not surprise Haley in the slightest.

Haley herself just gave a simple nod, "Yeah." She said.

Shaun himself was confused, "I thought you left this lifestyle a long time ago." He said, pushing a hand through his hair, "I thought all this lifestyle did was cause trouble." Shaun asked as he stepped around to face Haley as she put out the cigarette.

Haley sighed, finally looking at Shaun as she extinguished her cigarette, "It does Shaun. Me and this lifestyle don't always mix." Haley relented.

Shaun chuckled, "So why—"

"It's complicated." Haley cut Shaun off. "I don't want to be here as much as you would think." She idly looked down at her shoes. He either didn't seem to know, or he didn't care.

Shaun rolled his eyes, "So, un-complicate it. I mean, you don't get in unless you're with someone." He stuffed his own hands into the pockets of his jacket. "So who are you here with?"

Kevin was stepping away to get some fresh air when he saw Shaun talking to Haley. It wasn't that he wanted to rub the fact that he was with Haley in Shaun's face.. okay, that was a lie. Kevin wanted to get a huge neon sign, an airplane banner, and fireworks that said, 'Ha ha ha, she's mine you can't have her.' Instead Kevin settled for the much simpler option.

Haley stood and looked at Shaun, "It's hard." she muttered, suddenly wishing she hadn't extinguished that cigarette.

Kevin took his time and finished his drink as he walked over to Haley. He wrapped his arms around her from behind, "Hey sweetheart." Kevin said, his head resting on her shoulder as he smiled.

Haley jumped and laughed. Though she had been mad at Kevin for not telling her, she couldn't stay that mad at him, "Hi." She said, kissing Kevin on the lips gently and blushing a little as she pulled away. She was calmer now, "Sorry for getting mad at you earlier."

Shaun was confused and stunned and shocked. On top of all that Kevin was staring at Shaun with a shit eating grin on his face. Shaun cleared his throat awkwardly, "Haley?" He asked confused.

Haley turned to Shaun, running a hand over her face. "I..." She paused and bit her lip, "Kevin and I are married." Haley finally said just as Kevin's arms held her closer to him.

Shaun looked between the two of them, "You two? Married?" He just blinked and threw his hands up in the air, walking away. He was so confused, he didn't even know what to say. On top of that, he was angry. He couldn't explain it but it made him angry. Of course, this was Haley and Kevin and while he felt that Haley had no malicious intent, he wasn't so sure about Kevin.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit: Jasey Rae by All Time Low

I apologize for the length between updates. My laptop has been less than cooperative at times with Mibba, freezing my computer even. I've got more written that I pushed back to be posted later (as in, I wrote this instead and it fit better).

Hope you're all having a wonderful summer!