Status: slowly but surely

Birthday Wishes

Mistake?

Maybe putting my hand on his wasn’t such a good idea. It’s not that I don’t like it. I do, it feels so nice but I forgot where we were. It isn’t just us here.

“Ha, sorry, I didn’t make you feel uncomfortable,” I said as I pulled my hand away. The look of disappointment came across his face.

“No, I’m not uncomfortable,” he insisted. I felt bad but I wasn’t ready yet.

“It’s okay. Why don’t we go get some food? I’m starving,” I guess he saw the look on my face. He, thankfully, changed the subject. I nodded and followed Kellin to the kitchen.

“So, what are you craving?” He asked as he looked through the fridge.

“Um, I’m thinking a sandwich is good,” I sat at the island as he gathered all the ingredients.

“Do you like cheese?”

“Yeah, sounds good.”

“How about toasted bread.”

“That sounds amazing.”

“Okay, just give me a minute.” I know it’s just a sandwich but the way he was putting it together was so elaborate. I was getting super excited. Ha, for a sandwich. The look of concentration on his face showed that he wanted it to be perfect.

“Okay, all finished. Have a taste. Tell me what you think.” He looked rather nervous. As he stood there, biting his lip to calm his nerves, looking at the plate before me. I noticed that he didn’t make himself one.

“I thought you said you were starving?” I questioned as I carefully picked the sandwich up.

“Oh, I’ll eat a bit later. I just want to know if you like it.” still looking at the plate. I took a bite and an explosion of favor erupted into my mouth.

“Oh my god! This is amazing. The best sandwich I have ever had. Here, eat!” I said as I shoved some in his mouth. He was surprised but took a bite nonetheless. I couldn’t help but laugh.
“You are right. It is good. Thank you for sharing,” He said once he swallowed the bite he took. I took another bite nodding.

“Here have some more. Where did you learn how to make a sandwich like this?” I asked as he took another bite of the sandwich. He held up a finger as he continued to chew as fast as possible without choking.

“Well, my parents weren’t around much so I had to figure out easy dinners. After a while, I got creative,” he explained.

“What do your parents do that they aren’t home?” It’s weird for me to hear some parents don’t care about the welfare of their child. My parents were always home and loving towards Mike and me.

“Well, my mother is an executive saleswoman for some company, I’m not really sure what the name is but, she travels a lot for the company. My father, he works as a lawyer for the same company and travels with my mother to ensure all the paperwork and everything is correct,” he explained. I offered him another bite but he refused. I took another bite and handed the sandwich to him. He, reluctantly, ate the rest of the sandwich.

“I’m not always by myself though, usually Jesse invites me over and sleepover but I don’t want to wear out my stay, you know?” I nodded understandingly. Jesse is really a one-of-a-kind friend.

“Wow, I think Jesse is the nicest person I have ever met,” I admitted.

“Yeah, honestly, I don’t know what I would do if I didn’t have Jesse around,” he said. He looked distracted.

“Are you guys talking about me?” In walked Jesse heading to the fridge.

“Yeah, we were,” said kellin, turning toward him.

“Ah, yes. Little Kelly would be lost without me around,” he laughed as he tousled his hair and left the kitchen.

“Kelly?” I raised my eyebrow in question and watched as he blushed.

“It’s an old nickname from when we were kids. I can’t get rid of it at all,” he explained and I just nodded chuckling a little.

“It’s cute Kelly. Like you.” I said without thinking and he looked at me in surprise. Oh.