‹ Prequel: Let You In
Status: One and done

Operation Baby Cheeks

One/One

April 2013

“Krista,” she nudged her friend. “Who is that?”

Krista followed the direction of Callie’s gaze and smiled when she saw who it had landed on. “That’s Corey. Do you want to meet him?”

“Oh no; I just wondered.”

“Bullshit. Your eyes lit up. If I didn’t have Dan I’d be all over that. Corey is hot. And that hint of what his playoff beard will be is even better.”

Callie laughed. “You're terrible. You love that boy.”

“Yeah, I do. Dan’s perfect.” She smiled to herself before turning back to her best friend. “You need someone perfect too though. Brian was a douche. Fuck him. You need to live and have fun. Have fun with Corey.”

“You realize that you sound like you are pimping him out, right?”

“Maybe I am,” Krista giggled. “Seriously though, go buy him a beer. The playoffs start in two days and Corey needs to cut loose for the night. You need a night to cut loose. Cut loose with Crow.”

“Did you just call him Crow?”

“I did. Now stop stalling and go talk to him.” Krista pushed her towards the bar and shooed her off, turning her attention back to Brandon Saad.

Callie sighed but steeled herself and headed towards Corey. She smiled and nodded at a couple of the players she had met since coming to stay with Krista and Dan earlier in the week. She approached Corey with a warm smile. “Hello, I’m Callie, Krista’s friend. We haven’t met yet.”

Corey smiled back at her. “I remember Carbomb mentioning Krista had a friend in town this week. I’m Corey.”

“Can I buy you a beer?”

“I’d rather you let me buy you a drink.”

Callie smiled sweetly. "Thank you," she said as Corey signaled the bartender.

"What brings you to Chicago?" Corey asked.

"Just a vacation. I leave tomorrow.”

“Did you enjoy yourself while you were here?”

“I did. I saw your game against the Flames.”

“Too bad you’re not staying for playoffs; it is sure to be some really great hockey.”

“And beards according to Krista. We’re in agreement that the scruff you’re starting on now is very attractive”

Corey rubbed his chin with a smile. “It’s not bad, eh?”

Callie laughed. “Not bad at all.”

~*~*~


"Look what the cat dragged in!" Krista announced gleefully when Callie made it home the following morning. "And with an hour to spare before I need to drop her off at the airport," she teased.

Callie blushed. "I'd probably still be asleep if it weren't for practice."

"Details! Oh my god! I'm dying here! Spill already. Did you?"

"You know I don't kiss and tell," Callie answered.

"You did!" Krista squealed. "How was it? Was it amazing? How bendy did he get? Was it ten times better than Brian? Oh my god!!!"

Callie laughed. "You've got to calm down, girl! It was one night, that's it. Vacation sex. Nothing more, nothing less."

Krista pouted. "But Corey is so sweet! You could totally date Corey."

"Except I live in Kentucky. You're forgetting that detail."

"And I've told you a million times to move here. Especially now that you ended your engagement to Brian. There is nothing keeping you in Kentucky. You hate Kentucky."

"I have a job in Kentucky, and friends."

"You hate your job. And I'm your best friend."

"How about you let me head home and I'll think about it?"

"Fine. But think extra hard. You would love it here, I know it."

~*~*~


June 2013

“Callie!” Krista called out happily. She darted across the room to engulf her best friend in a hug. “Oh my god! Isn’t this amazing?”

“It’s something,” Callie laughed. It was late June and the Blackhawks had won the cup three days earlier. She had come at Krista's insistence that she celebrate with them. She and Dan were throwing the get together at their place, a last hurrah Krista had called it. Dan walked over with a happy smile and hugged her.

“How are you, Callie?”

“Not as good as you, I’m sure. Congratulations.”

“Thank you. Can I get you a drink?”

“No thank you, I can’t.”

“You can’t?” Krista asked. “What do you mean you can’t?”

“I’m not allowed.”

“Since when? Did you join a cult or something?”

“Not exactly....”

“What does that even mean, Callie?”

She let out a breath she didn't even realize she was holding. “I’m pregnant, Krista.”

Krista stared at her, mouth hanging open. “Pregnant?” she repeated. Callie nodded.

“I’m ten weeks.”

“But....does that mean?”

Callie glanced between Dan and Krista. “You can’t say anything.”

“Our lips are sealed,” Dan promised.

“The truth is, I don’t know. It could be Corey’s....but it could be Brian’s. I...I saw him a few days after I came back and we slept together. Then I remembered how much of a jackass he is and haven’t seen him since.”

“So what are you going to do now?” Callie asked.

“I don’t know.”

“You should tell Corey.”

“I can’t. It was one night and I don’t even know what the truth is.”

“It’s Crow’s. I can feel it.”

“What’s Crow’s?” Corey asked. He smiled at Callie and pulled her to him in a hug. “Hi,” he whispered in her ear. “You look amazing. We should go somewhere.”

Callie blushed and smiled back shyly. “Thank you. You were great in the playoffs.”

“You watched?”

“Of course. I had an obligation to cheer for the Blackhawks you know.”

“Dan?”

Callie laughed. “Of course.”

“What about me?” Corey pouted.

“I might have cheered for you a little bit.”

“Just a little?” Corey teased.

“Maybe a lot, loudly for some of those amazing saves.”

Corey grinned and set his beer down on a nearby table. “Come on, let’s get out of here.” He took her hand in his and led her towards the door. Krista smiled, flashing a thumbs up as Corey pulled her out of the bar the team had taken over for the night.

“Can you drive?” Corey asked her. “I’ve had a few beers.” Callie nodded and accepted his car keys from him. Corey led her over to his car and they climbed in, Corey directing her through the city to his place. Callie parked in his space and Corey stepped out. Callie hesitated behind the wheel and Corey walked over, opening the door and holding his hand out to her.

“Come on; I want to hang out with you,” Corey said softly.

“Why?” Callie asked as she put her hand in his and let him help her from the car.

“I liked spending time with you.”

“It was one night.”

“And it wasn’t enough.” Callie blushed again under his stare. “You’re beautiful.”

“I’m not,” she demured.

“You are. You’re glowing.” He led her to the elevators and they rode up to his condo in silence. He let them inside and Callie toed her shoes off at the door, walking to his couch and sitting down, curling her legs under her. Corey smiled at the ease at which she moved through his home. He liked having her here, even if they did barely know each other. He knew enough; he knew he liked her. He knew he had thought about her at least once a day since the night they met. He had pumped Krista and Dan for every details he could about her. He took a seat beside her, edging close enough to put an arm around her and pull her against him.

Corey tipped Callie’s face to his and kissed her, tentatively at first, not sure how she would respond. A soft moan escaped her and Corey took it as an invitation to deepen the kiss, drawing her body flush against his as he leaned back on the couch, fingers gripping her hips. Callie pulled back from him, her cheeks flushed, her body breathless.

“I need to tell you something.” Her lips quivered with the words.

“You met someone?”

“No....I...Corey...I don’t know how to say this.”

He held her hands in his, lifting it to his lips and kissing the backs of each. “You can tell me anything.”

“Corey...I’m pregnant.”

He felt the air rush from his lungs. “You’re pregnant?” She nodded. “Is it mine?”

She hung her head shamefully. “I don’t know but maybe.”

“Maybe?”

Callie sighed. “You and I, well, you know...but when I got back to Kentucky, I saw Brian, my ex-fiancee and we hooked up.”

“You’re back together?”

“God no! It was a mistake seeing him but I got caught up in old feelings. I regret what happened with him.”

“And with me?”

Callie smiled. “I could never regret that.”

“Callie, I know we barely know each other, but I like you. And I want to be there for you.”

“I can’t ask that of you, Corey. Like you said, we barely know each other.”

“Then let’s get to know each other. Ask me anything.”

So she did and he did the same. It would end up being the night that changed everything for both of them.

~*~*~


December 2013

“Babe! I’m home!” Corey called out as he entered his condo.

“I’m in the nursery!” he heard Callie call back. Corey smiled and made his way down the hall. Since her visit in June, they had been dating, an official couple. She spent a month with him Quebec during the summer, impressing his family with her simple nature and her grasp of the french language. She had a small bump but hid it with loose tank tops and flowy dresses. Corey had convinced her to let him tell his parents before she left back for Kentucky. She hadn’t wanted to but his enthusiasm won her over. His family was supportive and happy for them, even happier to learn Callie was moving to Chicago and would be moving in with Corey when he returned to Chicago for the season in September.

“Hey beautiful,” Corey said as he walked into the room. Callie was sitting in the floor surrounded by pieces of the crib she was trying to put together.

Callie rolled her eyes. “You have to say that because you’re my boyfriend. I am far from beautiful. I’m huge.”

“You’re due in a month...and trust me, you’re beautiful. I have to say that because I mean it, because I love you.”

“I love you too, Corey,” Callie smiled.

Corey kneeled in front of her. “How much?”

“How much what?”

“How much do you love me?”

“A lot. How much do you love me?”

“Enough to marry you.”

“I’m sorry?”

Corey grinned and reached into his pocket, pulling out a ring box and opening it. “Will you marry me, Callie?”

“Corey!” she gasped. “Are you serious?”

“Of course I’m serious. I don’t think it'd be appropriate to kid about a proposal.”

“But I’m eight months pregnant.”

“Yep.”

“And it might not be your baby.”

“That’s my baby, Callie, no matter what.”

“But we haven’t had a paternity test yet.”

“I don’t need one, Callie. I love you and I love our baby, our daughter. That baby is me and you.”

“What if it isn’t, Corey?”

He shook his head. “It doesn’t matter and there are no what ifs. I’m with you and that’s it. It’s my son, it will always be my little girl, no matter what, okay?” Callie nodded. “Now, you didn’t answer my question.”

“Ask me again.”

“Will you marry me, Callie?”

“Yes.” She sat up on her knees and wrapped her arms around his neck, kissing him. “You’re perfect, Corey Crawford.”

“Naw,” Corey said. “Not perfect. But I do have you so that’s pretty close.”

“I love you,” she murmured against his lips before kissing him again.

~*~*~


June 2014

Callie smiled when she spotted Krista and Dan in the airport, waving to get their attention.

“Look at you!” Callie cooed, holding Krista at arm length’s in front of her when she reached her. “You’re the absolute cutest pregnant woman I know.”

“I don’t know,” Krista laughed. “You were a pretty hot pregnant lady yourself.”

“LA is definitely agreeing with you.”

“Yes it is; I didn’t think I’d love it as much as I do but it’s great.”

“Hey Dan,” Callie said, hugging her best friend’s husband. They had married shortly after his signing in LA the summer before. “Congratulations on winning your second cup.”

“Thanks, Callie. Sorry we had to kick your boys out to do it.”

“Win some, lose some, right?”

“Where is Crow?” Krista asked.

“He took Evien skating.”

“She’s six months old.”

“I’m engaged to a goaltender. There is nothing normal in my life,” Callie laughed. “But we are supposed to be meet them for lunch. Corey gave me the address.”

“Where is it?”

“I don’t know; some place he found near the college.” They collected their bags and Callie led the way to her SUV before starting the drive across town, plugging the address into the GPS.

Callie frowned when she pulled into the parking lot. “Corey must've given me the wrong address,” she said to Dan and Krista. “Let me call him...”

“There’s Corey’s car,” Krista pointed. “This must be it.” She started towards the building.

“Krista, it’s a church, not a restaurant,” Callie pointed out, looking up at the building. The signs in front indicated it was the Bond Chapel. Trees and vines covered the outside of the stone building.

“So? Let’s find Crow.” Dan nodded in agreement and took Krista’s hand in his and Callie followed. Dan and Krista parted as she stepped over the threshold of the building and Callie gasped, Corey standing in front of her in a tuxedo.

“Hey, babe,” Corey said, stepping closer to her.

“What’s going on Corey?” Callie asked.

“We’re getting married today.”

“We’re what?”

“Married. Me and you...and Evie.”

“Today?”

“Mm-hmm. Krista will help you get dressed. I’ll be waiting in there,” he pointed behind him. Callie peered around him into the chapel.

“You did all this?”

“Yep, for you. It's been a year since we officially starts dating today. Did you forget?"

"No but..."

Corey leaned in and kissed her. "No buts, just us, okay?" Callie nodded. "Good. Now go get ready.” He nudged her towards Krista who reached for her hand and dragged her into a room just off the hall.

“You knew?” Callie asked her.

“Of course. You think Corey could do this by himself? He’s a boy. Now, let’s get this dress on you.”

“Who bought me a dress?”

“I did. Well, I picked it out and tracked it down at a store here and sent Corey to buy it. Don’t worry, you’ll love it. And Corey has not seen it. It was purchased under explicit direction to be in a black dress bag and Corey was not allowed to peek.

Krista unzipped the garment bag, revealing the ivory satin and tulle knee length gown with a square neckline and cap sleeves. “It’s perfect, Krista. Thank you,” Callie whispered, running a hand across the dress.

Twenty minutes later, Callie was dressed and Krista had styled her hair in loose waves around her shoulders, pinned back from her face with a blue jeweled clip. She slipped into a pair of simple white heels and turned for Krista’s approval.

“Well?”

“You look beautiful,” Krista whispered.

“You did all the work.”

“I’m pretty awesome, huh?”

Callie pulled her into a hug. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome. Now let’s go marry that goalie of yours.”

~*~*~


They went back to Corey and Callie’s home after the short ceremony, which Corey had gotten his family and her family there for, along with Krista and Dan. Their moms were conspiring in the kitchen and Dan had taken control of the music, which was surprisingly romantic and perfectly fitting for the occasion.

Corey and Callie were dancing in the middle of their living room with happy smiles. "I have to tell you something," Callie said.

"Go ahead."

She glanced around. Krista was swaying to the music with Dan, holding Evie in between them. Callie knew they'd be amazing parents when she had their baby in August. Her parents watched them and Corey's parents stood beside them.

"Outside?" She asked, nodding her heads towards the balcony. He nodded and led her outside.

"What's up?"

"I need to tell you something but you can't get mad."

"You realize that when you start with that, I'll probably get mad."

"Yeah, I know," Callie sighed.

"Tell me, Callie. I won't get mad, I promise."

"That's why I love you Corey Crawford. You always say the right thing."

"Says the right thing, makes the big saves. That's me in a nutshell."

She giggled. "I know you've told me over and over that Evie is yours and I know you don't care but I had to know....and I had a paternity test done."

"Callie..."

"I know we put you as the father on the birth certificate and you're happy with that. But what if Brian showed up, demanding to be a part of her life? I can't stand the thought of it so I called the lab and they had everything still at the facility from when we thought about having it done after Evie was born so I had them run it."

"I wish you hadn't done that, Callie."

"Why?"

"What if it's not me? I like living in our bubble and it might pop."

"It won't. She's yours, Corey. She's us."

"She's mine?"

"Ninety nine point nine percent positive, without a doubt, Evelyn Crawford, daughter of Corey and Callie Crawford."

Corey pulled Callie into his arms and kissed her. "I love you," he breathed.

"I love you too."

"Evie's mine," he repeated. "Let's give her a brother."

Callie laughed. "Get your parents to take her tonight and we'll get right on that."

"They're already planning too."

"Figure out how to make sure everyone is out of here in two hours. Operation Baby Cheeks, part two, commences then."

FIN
♠ ♠ ♠
I know, it's a little all over the place but I love it. Never could develop my idea into something longer but I am happy with the outcome of this little one shot. Hope y'all enjoyed.