An Impossible Quest for Normalcy

Chapter 5

Caroline closed the arch binder and shoved it back on the shelf. Then she picked up the next pile of invoices and started alphabetising them.

“ACE... Blue Carrot... Thompsons... TNT... ”

She sighed and dropped the pile, staring up at the clock.

“Only 11:45? Oh Jesus.”

Picking up the invoices again, she continued slowly.

“Brooker’s after Blue Carrot. Telecom before Thompsons. Ah, fuck it.”

She stood up, replacing the filing on the shelf.

“I’m going out for lunch.”

Her boss nodded, signing her out on the computer.

In the elevator down to the lobby, she pulled her cellphone out of her pocket and sent txts to Cari and James.

Jeff’s Corner Café, asap?

The replies came back quickly. Cari was about to leave Uni and would be there in ten minutes. James was already there.

Pushing open the door of the Café, she looked around and quickly spotted James sitting at a corner table. She made her way over to him and sat down opposite. He grinned.

“How’s work? Or should I know better than to ask?”

Caroline groaned and planted her head on the table.

“Damn Gary and his stupid fixed assets,” she mumbled. James laughed and patted her head. She swatted at his hand, sitting up straight.

“I’m starved,” she announced, getting up to order food. When she returned a few minutes later with a huge plate of pasta in her hands, Cari was already sitting in her seat.

“When did you get here?”

“While you were scrounging for loose change.”

“Maybe if I got paid more I would be more attentive.”

“Didn’t you get paid on Friday?”

“I know! And already I’m out of cash.”

As she opened her bag to put her wallet away, she pulled out something else and hid it under the table.

“By the way, James,” she said, “my cousin Ataahua sent me a bunch of stuff from home.”

“Ooh?”

She showed him the magazine. He squealed in delight and snatched it from her.

“Salient!”

Caroline laughed. Cari blinked for a moment.

“Um, what?”

“The Salient,” Caroline explained, “it’s a college magazine from Wellington. I used to read it all the time, it’s one of the worst magazines in the world. My dad once saw me reading a copy and confiscated it, it’s so bad.”

James was engrossed in The Salient, chuckling quietly. Caroline sighed.

“You know, I haven’t gotten a chance to read that yet, so I’d better get it back.”

“You will. Hey,” he turned the magazine round, pointing at one of the names, “Isn’t that your friend?”

Caroline nodded.

“I know, she made editor. Always knew that girl was destined for great things.”

“Yeah, can’t get much greater than editor of The Salient.”

They shared a grin.
♠ ♠ ♠
**It's short and filler-ish and boring, but whatever.

Thanks Critical_Lemon, Bellkura and Superhero.**