Status: In progress...

All That We Can't Seem to Leave Behind

What Happened

The wind was whistling through the trees, and it seemed like it was singing its own personal melody for him. Patrick stood there in silence with his eyes closed tight breathing in all that surrounded him. He was consumed with his thoughts; his visions of them together haunted him.
“It’s a dream, a nightmare… I can’t let this happen. This can’t be happening.” He spat aloud to only himself

He stands directly outside a window of a quant little home set back in the country surrounded by trees and farmland. It’s close to midnight, and all the lights are off in the home but one. Inside stands a woman half naked, dark brown hair, slim build along with a young man around 22 years old. They are in a heat of passion as Patrick stands outside.

Patrick opens his eyes staring intently at the two inside; they’re unaware of his presence. A few tears stream down his face as he glares at them. He can feel his blood boiling and the hair on the back of his neck stand up as he punches the side of the house with his fist and screams.

“FUCK!”

The man and woman inside stop abruptly in their moment of passion and go over to the window and spot Patrick staring in at them.

“What are you doing?!” the young woman yelled from inside

“Who the fuck is that?” shouted the young man looking at her and back at Patrick

Aggravated and full of emotion Patrick yells loudly once more and punches his fist right through the window to the bedroom. He instantly starts bleeding from his knuckles to his elbow from the shards of glass. Within a split second the young man from inside hits Patrick across the face and knocks him out.

Mumble speech and sirens are heard in the distance from Patrick’s point of view, he can’t make out any of it as he falls deeper and deeper into his involuntary slumber.

~2 Days Later~

The room is dense and cold as light shines brightly in through a window in the hospital room. Patrick’s right arm is covered with stitches and bandages. He’s in a hospital gown along with his left wrist handcuffed to the railing of the bed. Patrick tries to sit up but pain shoots through his head and down the back of his neck. His eyes begin to open and everything is fuzzy at first until a tall broad man in a police uniform comes into focus at the foot of his bed.

“What… what’s going on?” Patrick mumbled to the officer. He does not answer.

“Excuse me sir, what’s going on? Why am I here?” Patrick asked once again but the police officer stands his ground in silence

“Excuse me?! Hello?!” Patrick spat with a hint of arrogance

The officer turns to face him, staring intently down at Patrick with his dark eyes. “Son, you have the right to remain SILENT. Anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of law. You have the right to an attorney, if you can not afford one; one will be appointed to you..”

“Wait, what? Why? I didn’t do anything wr-…” Patrick said trying to interrupt the officer

Laughing; “You didn’t do anything wrong huh? Will myself and the rest of the state of Illinois strongly believes that breaking an entry, trespassing, assault, and stalking are very serious crimes.”

“Are you kidding me?! That was my girlfriend and it’s just a misunderst-…”

“Woah woah woah… That’s not what she’s saying, and in all honesty it’s not for me to decide… save it for the judge.”

Patrick rolled his eyes aggressively and threw himself back against the pillow, wincing in pain a little. “Well are these cuffs necessary?!”

“Yes.” Smirked the officer as he exited the room

~Five Years Ago… ~

May 24th 2001 – Myrtle Beach, SC

Summer was finally here. The sand on the beach was extra warm that morning while waves crashed against the rocks. The air smelled of salt and sun screen as Patrick strolled down alongside the waving water. This would be the last year that he would involuntarily be forced to go on another family summer vacation to Myrtle Beach where he hangs out with the same 3 people, smokes weed, and plays video games late into the night as his parents got hammered on a daily bases. It was just time for something different, something fun that could actually get him into trouble. He never caused trouble; he was the quote un-quote ‘good boy’ that mommy was proud of. But who wants to be that when you’re 17?

Patrick kicked the sand beneath his feet before sitting down on the ground. He rolled his pants up to his knees as he pushed his feet deep into the cold wet sand underneath. He closed his eyes and listened intently to the waves in front of him until his tranquility was broken by a football to the side of the head…
♠ ♠ ♠
More to come, I just wrote this today and this is a VERY rough draft. Give me feedback, it's appreciated. Thanks so much!!