Sequel: In Unexpected Places

Against the Odds

Against the Odds - Chapter Six

Harry had known Alex had fallen asleep about thirty minutes before the movie has ended. They were lying on the couch, him stretched out with her stretched out beside him, tucked under his arm, her head resting on his chest. He had heard her breathing even out, felt her relax against him. He could have woken her up, and taken her upstairs to bed then, but it was so nice to have her just…there…against him, that he just savored the moment.

Now that the credits were rolling on Dirty Dancing though, and the clock was ticking closer to midnight, he wanted to take her upstairs and let her sleep in a real bed; his bed.

He was serious before when he told her that they didn’t have to do anything other than sleep. He respected her, liked her, and wanted her to be comfortable. They had only known each other for three weeks, and while that seemed like a long time to wait by most modern relationship standards, he knew that things were different with them. Sleeping with him would bring their relationship to a whole new level. He was prepared to see where that went, but he didn’t know that she was. He still hadn’t been able to talk to her about what it meant to date him, what would happen with the media when they were found out. He knew that conversation needed to be done, and soon.

He moved slightly under her, trying to get up without disturbing her too much. She stirred anyway, her eyes fluttering open as she looked up at him.

“I fell asleep,” she murmured, her voice hoarse from sleep.

He smiled at her and reached down to brush a lock of thick blonde hair from her forehead. “You did. You were looked so peaceful and beautiful. I didn’t want to wake you.”

“I guess I didn’t snore then?” she asked with a grin.

“Ha! No, no snoring. But you did miss the end of the movie.”

“Did Patrick Swayze get Jennifer Grey to do the lift?

Harry nodded. “He did.”

Alex let out an exaggerated sigh. “Good. I would hate for her to chicken out the one time I fell asleep.”

Harry laughed. He moved his hands to her upper arms and pulled her up so that she was lying directly on top of him and her face…her lips…were much closer to his. “I quite like your sarcastic wit, Alexandra Morgan,” he said quietly.

“I quite like that you like it, Harry Wales.” She smiled at him, her eyes bright from the compliment and his close proximity to her. His clear blue eyes searched hers, assessing the moment, deciding. Her eyes dropped to his lips and she let her instincts make the call.

She leaned up and dropped her lips to his, pressing against them gently, letting the heat and softness of them sink in. His fingers tightened their grip on her arms, pulling her even higher so that their faces were even. She moved her arms out and above his head, her fingers sliding into his soft hair. His mouth opened under hers, their tongue moving together in a slow, easy dance, both of them trying to gauge the situation. He wrapped his arms around her, pulling her body tight against his and she moaned into his mouth, loving the feel of him pressed so close to her. Her legs moved against his as she tried to press closer and she dug her toes into the couch below her for leverage.

Her actions, her innate need to be closer to him, lit a fire in Harry that sent the moment into overdrive in mere seconds. He moved, keeping one arm around her waist, the other pushing them both up and turning them over so that she was underneath of him. Keeping his lips attached to hers, he slid a knee between hers, pushing her legs apart and settling his hips in between them. With a hand gripping her hip, and one sliding into the hair at the nape of her neck, he deepened the kiss, holding her head and taking whatever she was willing to give him. He sucked at her tongue and her lips, reveling at the softness and taste of them. She sighed and moaned and said his name in a voice so low it was almost just a breath, making him just ache for her.

She felt no different than him as he moved above her, his body pressing tightly into hers. She felt him even through his jeans and hers, turned on and ready. Unconsciously she moved her hips, rubbing upwards against him, causing a gasp to pass from his lips onto hers. The hand at her hip tightened and then slid under her to her ass, pressing her harder against him. Her body was so alive from his actions, their attraction, that she knew it was useless to over think this and make a big deal out of something that seemed to come completely natural to them. She realized then that it wasn’t a decision, but a forgone conclusion.

“Harry…” she gasped as she tore her mouth from his.

“Are you okay?” he asked immediately. He went to pull back from her, scared he had pushed too far.

“Don’t pull away,” she whimpered, tightening her arms around him. “I’m okay, more than okay. I want this…I know you want this…” she trailed off, letting him absorb her words.

“Oh Alexandra,” he murmured. His hand moved from her hair to her face, his thumb stroking her cheek. “Are you sure?”

She nodded, her eyes wide, opening up to him and showing him how sure she was. “I just have to tell you…it’s been a long time since…just…I’m way out of practice,” she said, biting her lip with her confession.

The corners of his lips curled up into a small smile. “I hope you’re not worried I’ll be disappointed. You are crazy if you think you’ll be anything but perfect. I don’t care how long it’s been since you’ve last done this; in fact, the longer the better as far as I’m concerned.”

She took a deep breath. “I haven’t had sex in six years. Since my husband died, Harry.”

He froze. His eyes went wide as he looked down on her. “Wait…what? How is that possible?”

She laughed, in a nervous, self-conscious sort of way. “I was pregnant and going through all the crap with John dying; the turmoil, emotion, and uncertainty that goes alone with that. Then I had Emma and I got busy raising her and founding my organization. I went on a few dates over the years, but none of them were ever even worth a consideration.” She reached up and laid a hand on his cheek. “None until you, Harry.”

His eyes closed as he leaned into the hand on his cheek. “You’ve only known me three weeks.”

She rolled her eyes. “So? You’ve only known me three weeks and yet here you are, lying on top of me. And let’s face it, you have a lot more reason to be wary of me than I do of you in this situation. Why do you always make excuses not to do things you and both know we both want to do?”

His eyes snapped open and he took a ragged breath. “Because I’m falling for you and I don’t know what to do about it.”

Her eyes softened, a small sheen of tears appearing before she blinked them back. “Then fall for me, Harry. That’s what you do about it.”

Her words hit him like a ton of bricks, finally knocking some certainty and some sense into him. His eyes flashed and he groaned, finally giving in to his feelings, his desires. His mouth went back down to hers. This time the kiss wasn’t about gauging the other person’s wants or keeping anything in check. This kiss was about giving in and letting go and living in the moment where you finally let your guard down and let someone in your life. It was hot and full of meaning and both Harry and Alex clung to it.

When Harry’s hands traveled from her hips to push up under her shirt, she shuddered, the feel of his hot hands on her stomach sending shock waves through her body. When Alex slid her hands under Harry’s sweater, her soft fingers moving up his back, he moaned into her mouth, encouraging her to touch him with soft, sweet kisses.

When she pulled her mouth away from his he dove for her jaw and neck, wanting to lick and nip a path of destruction all the way down her body.

“Harry…Harry stop…my phone,” she panted.

He pulled up, confused. “What?”

She pushed at him. “My phone is ringing in my purse. I have to answer. It could be Emma.”

He immediately moved off of her, letting her jump off of the couch and run towards her bag. He sat back on his heels, panting, dying for her to be back in his arms.

She pulled out the phone and sighed. “Mia?” she said quickly as she rubbed her hand over her face. She listened for a few beats, her eyes already sliding over to Harry with an apology.

“No, no, it’s okay Mia. I’ll come get her….Yes, right now…I’ll be there in less than half an hour okay?…Okay, bye.”

She ended the call and tossed the phone back in her purse. “Emma’s sick,” she said with a shrug.

“Okay,” said Harry, smiling softly at her.

“I have to go get her,” she said almost apologetically.

Harry grinned at her. “Don’t feel bad for going to take care of your daughter Alex. She needs you.”

Alex shook her head. “I don’t feel bad. Just…”

“Worked up?” he finished for her.

“Yeah,” she said with a laugh.

“Me too, Alexandra,” he said with a chuckle as he rose to go to her. When he reached her he took his face in his hand and kissed her swiftly, not lingering as it would do neither of them very much good. “Come on, get your stuff together, I’ll walk you out.”

She smiled, gratefully, moving to slip on her shoes and her blazer. She let Harry guide her out of the door and into the chilly night air. He took her hand as he walked her down the steps and to her car.

“Hey Harry?” Her voice was soft with her question.

“Yes, Alex?”

“Emma’s birthday is next week. We are having a party on Saturday; just a small thing for her school friends really. Molly will be there of course, as well as the staff of HFTF. But, she asked me if you could come…I know that’s putting it out there that we are…involved…but…”

He grinned, the smile lighting up his eyes. “I’d love to go.”

“Really?” Alex asked, surprised. She had fully expected him to say no, citing privacy concerns or previous commitments.

“Absolutely. When and where?”

Alex beamed up at him. She threw her arms around him and kissed him soundly right on the mouth. He chuckled against her lips, enjoying her happiness at his answer.

“Two o’clock at my place,” she said when she pulled back from him.

“I’ll be there,” he said. “Now, off you go. Give Emma a kiss for me and tell her I hope she feels better.”

“Okay,” Alex agreed. She opened her car door and slid in. She put the key in the ignition and started it up, glancing up one more time at Harry before she pulled the door shut.

“Call me if you need anything at all, okay? Otherwise, I will call you tomorrow,” he said.

“Sounds good,” she said as he leaned down to kiss her softly one last time.

He pulled back and winked at her before closing her door for her. He stood and watched as she drove away; waving so she could see him in the rear view mirror before she turned the corner. And then Harry moved back inside of his home with the biggest smile that had ever graced his handsome face.