Winter Is Coming

011:

“Be careful,” I said as Robb mounted his horse.

“Don’t worry,” he smirked, “We’ll be back, we’re just hunting.”

I nodded my head and then gave him one last smile before turning around and walking away. I heard my name and turned to see Brandon leaning against the wall, “Hello,” I smiled and walked over towards him and placed my hand on his shoulder, “Here to wish your father off?”

“Yes,” Brandon said and I nodded my head and looked towards Lord Stark. I smiled towards the Lord and then watched as the all rode off. I felt something at my feet and looked down to see Summer, Brandon’s direwolf chewing at his shoes, “Come on, Summer,” he laughed and then turned around and ran in a different direction, his wolf following him.

I smiled as I watched as they ran around and then turned back around when I saw someone in front of me, “I don’t believe we’ve been introduced,” it was the Prince.

“No, we haven’t,” I said, trying to be nice, but it was really hard.

“I’m Prince Joffrey,” he said and held out his hand.

“Jessica,” I said and shook his hand.

I was confused on why he looked a little annoyed at me, he pulled on my arm and I fell to a knee, not seeing the pull happen, “You’re suppose to say ‘my lord’,” he growled and I winced as he gripped my hand.

‘…Control yourself, control yourself, control yourself…’ I kept telling myself.

“Oi! What are you doing you little brat?!” I heard and looked up to feel the Prince’s hand being ripped from mine and looked up to see a little man slapping the Prince across the face, “Learn to talk to women!”

“You slapped me!” Joffrey stated angrily.

“Did I?” he little man said and then slapped him again, “Oh, I guess I did! Now move along!” the Prince stomped away angrily and I sighed and then saw a small hand being held out, “My lady, I apologize for my nephew’s rudeness.”

“Need to teach him some manners,” I growled and the small man laughed and then it clicked as I looked down at him, ‘…The Imp! They been here for a week, and this is the first I’m seeing of him! I had almost forgotten!...’

“My lady, I am Tyrion Lannister,” he said and bowed towards me and I told his hand and accepted his help to stand up, but being sure not to put all of my weight on him.

“Jessica,” I introduced and he looked at me as if I need to continue, “Oh, uh, my lord.”

He chuckled, “What house do you belong to?”

“Uh, house?” I asked confused and then turned to the castle and pointed, “That house.”

“A Stark, you’re a Stark?”

“No, I’m a Vonderheid.”

“So you stay at the Stark’s?” he asked and I was getting confused.

“My name is Jessica Vonderheid, I’m a guest to the Stark family,” I explained and he nodded his head, ‘…Dammit, I’m gunna kill Robb for not teaching me everything!...’

“Pleasure to make your acquaintance,” he said and I smiled, bowing my head.

“Pleasure is all mine,” I said and then turned when I heard my head and looked towards the sky when I heard a faint howl, ‘…Summer?...’

“Is there a problem?” I heard and looked back down at the Imp to see him looking at me confused.

“No-“

“Jess!” I heard and turned to see Cynthia running towards me, “Come on!”

“Please excuse me,” I said and then ran towards Cynthia, being sure to pick up my dress a little to a better run, “You heard it too?”

“It was Brandon’s wolf!” she said and I nodded my head.

We ran into the wood and then quickly ran to the horses stables and took two horses. Jon and Robb had taught us how to ride, and it really wasn’t that hard. We rode into the woods, using our hearing and sense of smell to find Brandon, because that howl was a cry for help.

“Over there!” Cynthia yelled and I followed her gaze to see that Brandon was on the ground in front of a brick tower.

“Bran!” I called and rode over towards him, jumping off of my horse and landing by his side.

“Did he fall?” Cynthia asked as she looked up at the tower and then down at Brandon, “I thought he was a good climber?”

Summer was crying, pacing back and forth and licking the face of the unconscious boy, “We need to get him back!”

“Don’t move him, he might have broken something!” Cynthia said and I sighed and backed away when I was about to pick him up.

“Fine, go back to the town, get Lady Stark!” I growled and Cynthia nodded her head and hopped back onto her horse and darted for the woods, “What were you doing out here, Bran?” I asked as I ran my fingers through the boy’s hair.

A wind blew, and I smelt the scent of two others nearby. I stood up and looked around, ‘…There’s someone here…’

I didn’t leave, not wanting Brandon to be left alone, but I knew that there were people out there, most likely the people that did this to Brandon, because there was no way that this kid fell. I’ve seen him climb straight up a flat surface, he was talented, there was no way he fell, someone had to have pushed him.

“Jess!” I heard and looked up to see multiple horses coming towards us. Cynthia led them, Lady Stark behind her, some guards and then Master Luwin.

“Bran!” Lady Stark called as she jumped off of her horse and ran over towards me, collapsing to the ground in front of Brandon.

“He’s alive, just unconscious,” I said and she started to cry.

“What happened?”

“I don’t know, I was in Winterfell, heard Summer howl, and Cynthia and I rode out here,” I said and Lady Stark looked towards Summer and then cried harder when she looked at her son.

“Send word to Lord Stark,” Master Luwin told to a guard and then he rode off.

“I’ll go!” I yelled and the guard stopped, “I’ll be able to find him faster!”

“Girl, you-“

“Go!” Lady Stark said and I looked down towards her, “Find them, bring them back.”

“I nodded my head and then ran towards my horse and jumped onto his back, riding into the woods and then stopping to sniff the air and catch their scent, it was only an hour or so long ago that they left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I think you’re going soft, Uncle Benjen,” I teased as he said that he didn’t want to kill the deer that had basically just passed right in front of us.

“I’m not here for the hunt, I’m here to make sure your father and the King stay safe,” he said and I smirked and nodded my head.

“Someone’s coming!” I heard a King’s guard yelled and I snapped my head to the side, hearing a horse’s hooves stomp against the ground.

“Someone’s moving in a rush,” Uncle Benjen said and I nodded my head.

“Stop!” a guard yelled and I turned my horse and headed up the hill, wanting to see what was going on, “I said stop woman!”

“Let me pass!” I heard and my eyes widened at the familiar voice.

I hurried my horse along and went up the hill to see Jessica there on a horse in front of two guards who were holding their swords at her, “Put your blades down!” I ordered and the guards looked at me, “What are you doing here?” I asked and she looked at me, the look in her eyes, “What’s wrong?” I asked and then looked at the guards, “Let her pass!”

“Yes, my lord,” they said and then moved out of the way.

Jessica jumped off of her horse and I got off of mine and walked over towards her, “What happened? Why are you here?”

“Your brother has been hurt,” she said and I looked at her confused, “Brandon was climbing the tower and he fell, he’s not waking up.”

My eyes widened as I processed the words that she was telling me, “Bran?” I asked and she nodded her head.

“I’ll find Ned!” Uncle Benjen said and I nodded my head and heard him take off into the woods.

Jessica turned around and saw the guards looking in a different direction, she leaned in and I felt her lips next to my ear, if I wasn’t so upset, I would have probably shivered at her breath on my neck, but her next words sent me over the edge, “I think he was pushed.”