Winter Is Coming

015:

“Be safe, Cyn,” I said as I looked up towards her as she sat on her horse, “Keep Lady Stark safe, I know that you know how to fight, I taught you everything I know.”

“I will,” Cynthia said and then hopped off of her horse and looked at me.

“Keep yourself safe-“

“Cynthia,” we heard and turned our heads to see Robb walking towards us, “I’ve seen you wield a blade, you’re good, thought you might want one of your own,” Robb said and then handed Cynthia a sheathed sword.

‘…Everyone’s getting a sword, does no one trust me with pointy objects…’ I thought as Cynthia examined the sword and then smiled toward Robb and attached the blade to her horse’s saddle. Cynthia had an outfit made similar to mine; I told her that if she was going to fight, she wasn’t going to be able to do it in a dress.

“Thank you, Robb,” Cynthia said and Robb nodded his head and looked at me, “You keep an eye on her, she’s always getting herself into trouble.”

“I’ve noticed,” Robb said and I smirked.

After we said our final goodbyes, Cynthia, Lady Stark and Ser Rodrik Cassel were gone, rode off into the mid afternoon sky. I watched them leave and stayed at the top of the gates until I couldn’t see them anymore.

“They’ll be all right,” Robb said and I gave him a small smile and nodded his head.

“I’m going to sit with your brother,” I said and Robb nodded his head and watched as I walked away, really wanting to be by myself as I worried for my friend’s life.

I made it to Brandon’s room and sat in the chair next to his bed, he was still asleep, Summer was laying by his side. She looked at me and whined a little, before putting her head back down and getting comfortable again. However, her silence didn’t last long; she was whining against about something, something that wasn’t good. I sat at the end of my chair and placed my hand on her head.

“What’s wrong, girl?” I soothed as she whines continued, “What’s wrong?”

The next second, Summer’s cried out a howl, I felt a pain in my chest, and Brandon woke up. The pain managed to take my breath away, and I had to sit back and hold my hand over my heart just to get everything back to normal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We had only been traveling for a few hours, the sun was set and Ser Rodrick Cassel said that he wanted to set up camp near the river. Lady Stark agreed, and I just followed them over to the river bank. Lady Stark hopped off of her horse and started to gather some things from her bag, I was about to get off of my horse when I felt a sharp pain in my chest. Gasping for air, I clutched my chest and felt myself falling from my saddle.

My name was being called; I could feel my head being picked up. I was gasping for breath and clutching my chest, unsure from where this pain was coming from. I was not injured, at least, I did not believe that I was, I could hear Lady Stark calling my name, I could feel her hands on my head, but all I was concentrating on was controlling my breathing.

“Are you all right?” I managed to hear her, “Can you hear me? Cynthia!”

“I’m all right,” I muttered out.

“Your eyes!” she said and I took a deep breath and pushed myself up, groaned from the uncomfortable feeling in my chest, “They’re golden, not brown.”

“Something’s wrong,” I muttered and pushed myself to my feet.

“What? What’s wrong?” Lady Stark said and I sniffed the air.

“I don’t know, but that was an unusual feeling, like my heart was being stabbed,” I said and Lady Stark and Ser Rodrick Cassel looked at me confused, “I must head back to Winterfell.”

“What? But we’ve-“

“I’ll be back by morning,” I said and Lady Stark sighed and nodded her head, “I must see if Jess felt it too, something isn’t right, it doesn’t feel right.”

“Be careful,” Lady Stark said and I nodded my head and then started to untie my vest, “You’re not taking your horse?”

“No, it’ll be faster as a wolf,” I said and she nodded her head and ordered for Cassel to turn around as I changed out of my clothes, “I’ll be back in a few hours,” I said and Lady Stark nodded her head and watched amazed as I changed into a wolf and ran off in the direction that we had just come from.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“He killed Lady,” I cried into my pillow, “Father killed Lady.”

“He shouldn’t have had to! You should have told the truth! Both Lady and Nymeria would still be here if you told the truth, Sansa!” Arya yelled as she threw a pillow at my head and I heard Septa Mordane take Arya out of the room.

Jory, father’s friend, brought my Lady’s collar and leash, I cried, clutching it, staring at the pink ribbon that I had just placed on her collar that morning. Only a few moments before I took Lady for a walk, only a few moments before Prince Joffrey came up to me and asked if I’d like to go for a walk, only a few moments before as we walked, we found Arya and the Butcher’s boy playing with branches as if they were swords. I knew I should have told the truth, the truth about how Joffrey was the one who attacked the boy and my sister, how my sister’s wolf had only bitten Joffrey because she was protecting Arya.

Arya was right, if I had told the truth, Lady would be alive, Nymeria would be here, but I would probably be dead, or worse, Joffrey would most likely not want to talk to me. I was supposed to be married to him when I was old enough; I was supposed to be his Queen. If I had told the truth, Joffrey would not want me as his Queen, and I would be sent back to Winterfell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“How do you feel?” Robb asked as he sat on Brandon’s bed and stared at me, his hand on my leg and his other hand on my neck, “What was the pain like?”

“Like I was being stabbed in the heart,” I explained, still trying to catch my breath, “Summer was crying and then as she howled, a pain went right through me.”

“You say Summer was howling?” Robb asked and I nodded my head, see him looking at Summer, who was cuddled up next to the awake Brandon, “Grey Wind was crying too.”

“Her eyes were golden,” Brandon said and we looked at him, “Like when you changed into the wolf, you eyes looked like that.”

“Something’s not right,” I said and Robb sighed and stood up.

“My lord!” we snapped our heads to the side to see a guard barging into the room, “A wolf at the front gate.”

“A wolf?” he asked and then looked at me, “A direwolf?”

“Yes sir,” the guard said and I stood up and clutched my chest.

“What does the wolf look like?” I asked and Robb stood up and placed his hand on my shoulder.

“I’m not sure, my lady, I was just told the message,” the guard said and I nodded my head and ran towards the door.

“Jess, wait!” I heard Robb call and then told the guard to stay with Brandon, “Jess! What are you thinking?!”

“I know something’s not right,” I muttered as I walked out of the castle, Robb at my side. We walked to the front gates, which were still closed, no one letting the wolf in. I looked over the wall and smiled, “It’s Cyn! Open the gates,” I said to Robb and he nodded his head and commanded the men to open the gate.

We climbed down the latter and greeted Cynthia asked she trotted over towards me. Robb placed his cloak over her back and she changed and winced, breathing heavily and pulling the cloak closer to her.

“What’s wrong? Where’s Lady Stark?” I asked, looking around confused.

“They’re all right, I needed to see you,” she said as she stood up, “Did you feel a pain?” Cynthia asked and I looked at her shocked, but nodded my head, “So did I.”

Robb and I explained to her about the wolves acting strangely, and as the howled, I felt the pain go through me, apparently around the same time Cynthia did. A guard ran towards us, telling us that a raven had come and handed Robb the message.

He looked it over and then handed it to me, it was a message from Lord Stark, he explained that he had to kill Sansa’s wolf, Lady, explained about Arya’s wolf attacking the Prince, and the note when on and on, but I didn’t care to read it.

“Lady was killed?” I said and Robb nodded his head. I looked at Cynthia, “Could Lady’s death be was triggered the pain? Caused the wolves to howl?”

“It’s possible,” we heard and turned our heads to see Maester Luwin walking over, “The wolves are connected by blood and you two are connected to the wolves. They feel their sister’s death, so do you.”

“We’re connected to the other direwolves?” Cynthia asked.

“It’s only a guess,” Luwin said, “You’re able to change into direwolves, that fact, makes believe that you are connected to other direwolves.”

“That’s something you don’t hear every day,” Cynthia said and I nodded my head, clutching the note and then sighing.

“I don’t like this Queen.”

“Careful now,” Robb said, “Remember when I told you, the walls have ears.”

“Let them tell her, what is she going to do?” I growled and Robb sighed.

“Order and execution, saying you were a traitor to the Crown,” Robb explained and I sighed and shook my head.

“I must get back to Lady Stark,” Cynthia said and I looked at her and nodded my head.

“Tell Lady Stark that Bran has awaken,” I said and Cynthia smiled towards me and nodded her head, shifting in front of us and running off, after I had grabbed Robb’s cloak and gave it back to him.

“Let’s go see Bran.”