Winter Is Coming

002:

“Cyn, just pick a damn book!” I groaned and looked at the time on my phone to show that we’ve been here for about three hours.

“But the lady said that I can only have five, I can’t decide what I’m going to get,” she whined and I sighed and shook my head, pinching the bridge of my nose.

“You’re just gunna read them all and come back tomorrow anyways, so what does it matter?” I asked and she smirked.

“Because I want to read certain ones first!” she said and I shook my head, “Here, which one?” Cynthia said as she held up three books.

“Uh,” I moved in to read the titles, but gave up because the lighting was bad and the letters were too small and too dark, “That one,” I said randomly and Cynthia looked at the cover.

“This is about dragons, it’s a nice story about knights and-“

“Have you read it before?!” I growled and then earned a shush from the librarian.

“Yeah, like five years ago,” she said and I groaned, earning another shush.

“Oh shut up!” I barked, earning another shush. I threw up my arms and shook my head, ‘…Me being quiet, as if…’

Cynthia was looking at the back of some more books, when a small shining light caught my eye. I looked past my friend and saw that it was coming down the hall. I bit my lip and then walked down the hall and then looked back at Cynthia, not moving from her spot, not even realizing that I was walking away from her. I walked closer to the light, to find that there was a gate blocking me. I looked into the room that was gated off to see that there were more books in there.

“Cyn!” I called with a whisper, “Cyn!”

“What?” she asked annoyed, but turned around.

“Come ‘ere,” I said and she sighed and walked towards me, “What is this?”

“Don’t know, never was here before,” she said and then looked up, “Restricted area,” she read and I looked up to see the sign above the gate.

“What the hell, is this like freakin’ Harry Potter or something?” I laughed and Cynthia smirked, “Come on, let’s check it out.”

“What? Jess, its restricted area!”

“That didn’t stop the dream team from going into their restricted area,” I smirked and Cynthia rolled her eyes.

“They had a magical invisible cloak, we do not!” she stated and I sighed, but then looked to see if anyone was there, “Jess, come on, you’re gunna get us kicked out of the library, and I’m gunna be on the ‘no book’ list.”

“Really?” I asked and she looked worried, “Calm down.”

“Come on, you’re always getting us into trouble!”

“Relax, or go wait in the car, I wanna check this out!” I said and Cynthia sighed and started to walk away, “You know, these books look pretty old, looks like not a lot of people have handled them,” I started and heard her stop walking, “You’ve probably never read any of these books.”

“Bitch,” Cynthia growled and I smirked, knowing I had her as my partner in crime, “For the books!”

“For the adventure!” I cheered and then bent down to look at the lock, “This baby is gunna be a piece of cake, just your old fashion lock-“

“Just get to crackin’,” Cynthia rushed and I snorted.

“Well, I’m a bad influence on you,” I smirked as I pulled the bobby pins out of my hair and started to work my magic, “I must have been a master thief in another life.”

“You’re insane,” Cynthia must and I smirked.

“Three, two, and presto,” I smirked when the lock came undone and I stood up, took the lock off and opened the gate, “Hello adventure.”

“Hello books!”

“Can I tweet this? We broke into the restricted area at the library,” I laughed and then closed the gate when the two of us walked in.

It definitely felt like forever, but there were so many books to look at, and I was right with guessing at the fact that they looked like they haven’t been touched in a long time. Cynthia was having a blast going from book to book and looked at the titles. I was just interested in finding where that light was coming from, there were no windows around, no lighting, nowhere for that light to have come from. I thought for a moment that it might have shined off of the metal bookcases; I touched the bookcases, wood.

‘…Where was it coming from?...’ I thought as I looked around again, ‘…Now I feel like a cat chasing the laser…’

“Jess, look at this,” Cynthia said and I peaked my head down three aisles of books before I found her sitting on the floor, legs crossed and a book on her lap, while three propped on the ground next to her.

‘…My little nerd…’ I smirked and then bent down to look at her, “What’s up?”

“Look at this book, it’s not like any book that I’ve seen before,” she said and then handed the book towards me, “What is it?”

“Not in English, Doth-Dothraki- Dothraki?” I asked and looked at Cynthia who just shrugged her shoulders. I sighed and looked back at the book, “It actually looks like a journal.”

“A journal?” Cynthia asked and I nodded my head, “But I’ve never heard of the Dothraku- raki- I don’t know,” she said and I nodded my head.

“Khaleesi? What’s that?” I asked and Cynthia shrugged her shoulders, “Dammit woman! You’re the smart one here!”

“Hold on,” she ground and then pulled out her iPhone and started to type her little fingers away.

I stared back at the book, turning the page and seeing that some of the words were in English, I smirked, feeling successful, “It’s been a long journey, the dragons are hungry and still very young, my people are weary, I am weary, and I miss my sun and stars.”

“Sun and stars?” Cynthia asked and I shrugged my shoulders.

“I guess they had only darkness?” I asked and Cynthia shook her head.

“Nothing, I’ve got nothing, Google’s got nothing, maybe it is just a story,” she said and I sighed.

“I guess,” I said and then flipped through the pages, stopping when I saw a picture, “Whoa.”

“What?” Cynthia asked and I flipped the book over to show her the picture, “What is that?”

I turned the picture back towards me and looked at the words under the picture, “Iron throne?” I read and looked at the drawing, “This actually looks like it was drawn in here,” I said and looked at Cynthia, “Everything looks like it was just written, there’s words crossed out and everything, something tells me, this was before the computer or eraser was invented.”

“How old is this book?” she asked and I shook my head.

“Don’t know-“ we both snapped our heads to the side when we heard metal falling to the floor. I looked at Cynthia and brought my finger to my lips, telling her to keep quiet. I stood up and tip toed towards the end of the aisle. I heard someone walking, or at least something, because it didn’t sound like footsteps.

“Jess!” I heard and snapped around to see a woman standing at the other end of the aisle, Cynthia was in-between us.

“What the hell- Who is that?!” I asked because she didn’t look like normal woman.

“Ye shouldn’t have come,” she said in a weird accent, “Ye now belong to, me lady.”

“Um, no thanks, America here, we’re all free,” I said as Cynthia started to walk backwards, “Thanks for the heart attack, think we’ll be going now,” I said and then waved towards her, pulled Cynthia’s arm and turned around.

“What the-“

My eyes were wide, I turned my head to see that the woman who was once behind us, was now in front of us, “How did you-“

“Jess!” Cynthia yelled and I felt the woman’s hands around my throat, she started to lift me off of the ground and I gripped onto her arm, digging my nails into her skin, hoping that she would let go.

‘…She can’t be any bigger than me! How is she this strong?...’ I thought as I was trying to gasp as much air as I could, but I wasn’t getting much. I heard Cynthia call my name one more time before I felt her let me go and I fell to the ground, hitting my head on the floor and fighting to keep my eyes open.

“Ye now belong to me lady,” I heard again before the woman who looked like your typical New York hobo bent down, placed her hand over my face and I breathed in this sweet scent and then felt the world spin, “Me lady like you, she very powerful.”

“Go to hell,” I heard Cynthia mutter out before I blacked out.