Winter Is Coming

034:

Lady Stark and I were being escorted by four guards to where we were going to find this Renly. From the time I had left camp to the time we found Renly’s, I was running alongside Lady Stark as a wolf, she carried my clothes on the back of her saddle. Once we got close to the camp, I changed and put my clothes on. Just as we were about to move forward, Renly’s guard found up and immediately recognized Lady Stark, she did all the talking and we were soon brought into the camp.

I was hearing a fight going on, being were cheering, the fighters were grunting, metal was hitting metal; however, I wasn’t able to see what was going on. At least, not until we were brought to the front row and I saw two people in armor from head to toe beating on each other. The battle was over when the taller one tackled the smaller one to the ground and stuck a dagger in his face.

‘…You would think that that would save their energy for battle…’ I thought as a man wearing a crown and sitting on a high platform clapped.

“Well fought. Approach,” the man said and I figured he was Renly Baratheon. The winner walked towards the platform and bowed, “Rise, remove your helm.”

The fighters removed their helmets and I saw the loser was a young brown curly haired boy, while the other was a tall blond haired woman, ‘…A woman?!...’ I was shocked; I looked over towards Lady Stark to see that she was as well. I looked back towards the woman and smirked, “Awesome.”

“You are all your father promised and more, my lady,” Renly said and smiled, “I’ve seen Ser Loras bested once or twice, but never quite in that fashion.”

“Now, now, my love,” the woman who sat next to Renly said, “My brother fought valiantly for you.”

“That he did, my queen,” Renly said and I rolled my eyes.

‘…Let’s just get this over with so I can get back to the camp…’ I thought as I sighed and looked over towards Lady Stark.

“But there can only be one champion,” Renly said, “Brienne of Tarth, you may ask anything of me you desire. If it is within my power, it is yours.”

The big woman bowed, “Your Grace, I ask the honor of a place in your Kingsguard,” she said and I looked around hearing people mutter, not liking the idea, “I will be one of your seven, pledge my life to yours and keep you safe from all harm.”

“Done,” Renly said, “Rise, Brienne of the Kingsguard.”

Lady Stark looked towards one of the guards once Renly was finished speaking, the guard walked forward and I sighed next to Lady Stark.

“All will be well, Jess,” Lady Stark said and I nodded my head.

“Your Grace, I have the honor to bring you Lady Catelyn Stark, sent as an envoy by her son Robb, Lord of Winterfell,” he said as Lady Stark and I walked forward. My hood was up and I kept my head down, standing next to Lady Stark.

“Lord of Winterfell and King in the North,” Lady Stark corrected.

“Lady Catelyn and,” he looked at me and I picked my head up, “Your guest, who might you be?”

“This is Jessica, she is-“

“Ah, she is a beast,” Renly smiled and I tried not to growl because I didn’t like that now, “Please, remove your hood, we are no threat to you,” I looked towards Lady Stark and she nodded her head, I sighed and removed my hood and looked towards Renly, he smiled and nodded his head, “I met your friend- I believe her name was Cynthia?”

“Yes,” I said and he nodded his head.

“Very brave girl, I’m curious to know how you became what you are,” he said and I smirked.

“We’re curious as well,” I muttered and then heard him sigh.

“Well, either way, I’m please to see you both,” Renly smiled, “May I present my wife, Margaery of House Tyrell?”

We nodded our heads at each other and Margaery spoke, “You are very welcome here. I’m so sorry for your loss, Lady Stark.”

“You are most king,” Lady Stark said and I desperately wanted to put my hood back up, feeling the eyes on me, hearing the whispers of not believing of what I am.

“My lady,” Renly called, “I swear to you I will see the Lannisters answer for your husband’s murder. When I take King’s Landing, I’ll bring you Joffrey’s head.”

The men cheered and I looked towards Lady Stark, “It will be enough to know that justice was done, my lord.”

“Your Grace,” the winner of the battle corrected angrily and I looked over towards her, “And you should kneel when you approach the King.”

‘…Bitch, I ain’t kneeling for no one…’ I growled and Lady Stark held her arm out in front of me and I saw the woman going for her sword.

“There’s no need for that,” Renly said, “Lady Stark is an honored guest, as well as whoever accompanies her.”

‘…Did he forget my name already?...’

“Has your son marched against Tywin Lannster yet?” the man who lost to the woman, Loras asked and I looked back towards him.

“I do not sit on my son’s war councils,” Lady Stark said without looking at him, “And if I did, I would not share his strategies with you.”

“If Robb Stark wants a pact with us, he should come himself, not hide behind his mother’s skirts,” Loras said and I snarled and felt Lady Stark’s hand on my shoulder.

“My son is fighting a war, not playing at one,” Lady Stark snapped back and I smirked and cracked my knuckles, “Jessica here has fought in many wars than most of you! She’s killed probably more than any of you ever have nor ever will.”

“With these so called ‘beastly’ abilities?!” Loras barked and I smirked.

“Are you so eager to see my abilities?” I asked and he smirked.

“Yes, I don’t believe that you’re able to change into a wolf!”

I turned my body towards him and sighed, “The only time you’ll see me coming at you, is when I’m about to tear out your throat.”

“How dare you threaten me!” he yelled and unsheathed his sword and I felt Lady Stark stiffen next to me.

“Enough!” Renly yelled.

“No threats,” I smirked, “I don’t threaten people,” I glared towards him, “I make promises.”

“Enough! Put your sword away Loras,” Renly spoke, “And leash your dog, Lady Stark.”

“What-“

“Hush Jess,” Lady Stark said and I growled but nodded my head and angrily sighed.

Renly stood from his chair and sighed, “Our war is just beginning, Lady Stark. Come,” he said and then guided us through the camp.

As we past the men in the camp, the stopped what they did and bowed towards him, something that the men in Robb’s camp did when he walked by. A man walking a white horse walked by and Renly asked how the man’s foot was.

“Better, Your Grace,” he said as he stopped in front of us and patted his horse, “They don’t know their own size is all.”

“Good man,” Renly said and then continued on his path, ushering us to follow along, “I have one hundred thousand men at my command. All the might of the Stormlands and the Reach.”

“And all of them young and bold like your Knight of the Flowers?” Lady Stark asked and I smirked, biting my tongue from snorting at the name, “It’s a game to you, isn’t it? I pity them.”

“Why?” Renly asked.

“Because it won’t last,” Lady Stark said and I looked to see that the big woman, the one who wanted to be a part of the Kingsguard was following behind us, “Because they are the knights of summer and winter is coming.”

“Brienne, escort Lady Catelyn and her company to their tent,” Renly said and I sighed, seeing that he didn’t want to listen to what Lady Stark had to say, “They’re tired from their journey.”

“At once, Your Grace,” she said and took a step forward, “Shall I return after?”

“That won’t be necessary,” Renly said and started to walk away, “I would pray awhile, alone.”

“If you’ll follow me, my lady,” Brienne said and then looked at me, “Beast.”

I growled and clenched my fists, felling Lady Stark’s hand on my arm. She told me to breathe and I sighed and nodded my head, we followed Brienne.

I walked behind Lady Stark as she walked up to Brienne and began a conversation with her, “You fought bravely today, Lady Brienne.”

“I fought for my king,” she said and I shook my head.

‘…This is a weird time…’ I sighed and threw my hood back up, not wanting these people to continue to stare at me, even though I knew they would either way.

“Soon I’ll fight for him on the battlefield. Die for him if I must,” Brienne said, not even hesitating with her words, “And, if it please you, Brienne’s enough. I’m no lady.”

The rest of the way was silent; Brienne walked us into our tent, told us to have a goodnight and then left. I sighed as I looked around and then sat on the floor, watched as Lady Stark walked over towards the only bed. I told her I would take the floor. I took my clothes off and folded them, before bending over and changing, taking my place on the ground and lying my head on my paws, listening to the feet rustle around outside the tent before falling into a deep dreamless sleep.