Winter Is Coming

035:

Chapter Thirty Five
“Cynthia, what are you doing here?” I heard as I started to wake up.

“Robb sent me to get Jess, they’re about to go into another battle, and she’s better than me,” I stretched and gave a big yawn, slowly standing on all four paws and looking up to see that Cynthia was indeed in the tent, she was standing in front of Lady Stark. I growled, not liking the fact that she was here, “I’m sorry, but this is what Robb wanted.”

‘…I’m sure it wasn’t all Robb…’ I growled again and Cynthia sighed and walked over towards me.

“You’re more comfortable jumping into battle than I, plus Grey Wind likes you better,” I sighed and then walked over towards the area where my clothes was at and shifted.

“What’s going on back at camp?” I asked, starting to put my clothes back on.

“I’m not sure, I wasn’t really allowed into the tent, the men don’t trust me yet,” Cynthia sighed.

“It was because Jess was the first wolf that they saw, I’m assuming that some men do not trust her, but do not show it in front of Robb,” Lady Stark said and I shrugged.

“Here,” Cynthia said as she handed me a paper.

I opened it and read the message; it basically said the same thing that Cynthia just told us. Come back because we need your help in battle. I growled and crumbled up the paper and looked at Cynthia, “You stay out of trouble! Understand me-“

“I’m going back with you,” Cynthia said and I looked at Lady Stark, “There’s a guard here that’s going to watch over her.”

“Something doesn’t feel right about this, Robb would never-“

“I don’t know what the battle is, Jess,” she sighed, “But whatever it is, it’s big.”

“Are we taking King’s Landing already?” I asked and Cynthia shook her head.

“Not that big, but close to it,” she said and I sighed and looked at Lady Stark again.

“Go, I’ll be fine,” she said and I nodded my head.

“Did you run or ride?” I asked and she scoffed, “Thought so. Lady Stark, can you tie our clothes to our backs?”

“Yes of course,” she said and I took the clothes that I just put on and changed.

Lady Stark tied our clothes to us and Cynthia and I both walked out of the tent and head towards the path, Lady Stark walking behind us. Someone called Lady Stark’s name and we turned to see Renly walking over. Cynthia growled but then stopped when she saw that I wasn’t.

“Are these the wolves?” Renly asked, a smile on his face, “You!” he pointed towards Cynthia, “You were with Lord Stark in King’s Landing! I remember you!”

“My lord, they must be going,” Lady Stark said as Renly walked past her and over towards us.

“Beautiful,” he said and went to pet my head but I snapped at him, purposely missing.

“My lord, Jess doesn’t like to be touched, I apologize,” Lady Stark said and I turned around and barked at Cynthia, “Safe journeys you two.”

I nodded my head before nipping at Cynthia telling her to move it.

It was a long journey, almost half a day at top running speed; we nearly knocked over a wagon being pulled by two horses while coming out of the woods to cross a path. Finally we made it back to camp just before nightfall, the men were already preparing themselves for battle, I figured that they were going to move soon.

Cynthia and I trotted towards the tent and I stuck my head in, seeing Robb with some other lords making last minute strategies as Grey Wind sat at his feet.

“The beasts are back,” I heard and then saw Robb walking over towards me.

“Jess, how is mother?” he asked and I nodded my head, “Rest, we move out in a few hours, I will explain the plan to you later.”

I nodded my head towards him and whined a little when he pet me head and then turned away. I growled towards the man who called Cynthia and I beasts and then left the tent to head towards my own. I changed into my clothes and then saw that there was some food placed on the table. I smirked and then walked over towards the soup, bread and wine and inhaled everything down before collapsing onto my bed and falling asleep.

My sleep didn’t last long though; I was being woken up by a cold nose moving my arm. I groaned and opened my eyes to see Grey Wind next to me, trying to wake me up. I scratched his neck before sitting up and rubbing my face.

“You’re awake,” I heard and looked to see Robb walking into the tent, “How did you sleep?”

“Not long enough,” I muttered and he chuckled and walked over towards me, “So what’s the plan?”

Robb sat next to me on the bed and placed his hand on my thigh, “You and Grey Wind will go ahead and scare the enemies-“

“Cyn said that this is going to be a big battle?”

“More men than before,” he said and I sighed and nodded my head, “We leave soon, are you ready?”

“Yes,” I said as I stood up and started to pull off my shirt when Robb pulled my into him, he cupped my face and then pressed his lips onto mine.

“Be careful,” he said and I smirked and nodded my head, “Good.”

I undressed and then looked at Grey Wind, “You ready, boy?” he let out a little bark and I smirked. I kissed Robb one last time before shifting and then trotting out the door.

Robb hopped onto his horse and met his men at the front of the camp. Cynthia was going to stay behind with the few men guarding the camp; I was all right with that. Grey Wind and I kept up with Robb’s speed, running along side of him, being sure not to get too close to spoke his horse.

After running for a little, Robb stopped, it was dark out, it was pouring and I was frustrated from lack of sleep. Robb gave us the signal and Grey Wind and I trotted into the woods, turning back to see Robb’s men waiting for us, waiting for the signal from us that they could move in. Grey Wind and I had our own signal for the men, it was the sound of men screaming.

As Grey Wind and I got closer to the enemy camp, we caught the scent of horses, I knew that they could sense us; I knew that they could hear us, but the men guarding them couldn’t see us. We stalked around the area where there were a few men sitting out in the pouring rain, trying to keep themselves warm and awake. One man stood when the horses started to make noises, he told the other man with him that he believe that something was out there. When the other man stood, Grey Wind and I stood very still, not quite ready to make an appearance. When the first man passed gas rather loudly, scaring the other man, I growled a little.

‘…Nasty…’ I growled again and then nudged my head into Grey Wind, telling him that it was time to move in.

Robb was right, there were many men in this camp, but it wasn’t the main Lannister camp that we were looking for, it wasn’t Tywin Lannister’s camp. Grey Wind and I managed to kill many men before Robb and his men showed up. We fought until morning and then gather our men to go back into the battle zone to see what we accomplished.

I stood next to Robb as we walked through the camp, I found out that throughout the night, we had managed to kill five Lannisters, it was a start. There were a lot of prisoners, and we had very little room to keep them. The lord informing Robb on everything that had happened, had also said that there was barely enough food to feed the men that we had now.

“We’re not executing prisoners, Lord Bolton,” Robb said and I looked up towards him and then back to where we were walking.

“Of course, Your Grace. The officers will be useful, some of them may be privy to Tywin Lannister’s plans,” Lord Bolton said.

“I doubt it,” Robb answered before stopping and placing his hand on my head and sighing.

They spoke some more and I heard a man crying out in pain, asking for someone to stop. I walked over towards him, Robb behind me and I stopped and gulped when I saw the damage that was done to a man’s leg. A woman who was saying that she was a healer, was telling the man that his foot needed to be cut off. I could tell by looking at the man that he wasn’t one of our men, but I still felt a tingle in my body when I saw Robb bend down to help him. I growled towards Lord Bolton when he said that there were more important things to do then to waste our time on the boy.

Robb held the boy down and I flinched and turned my head away when the woman started to saw off his foot. Even as a wolf, I thought I was going to be sick.

We stayed until she was finished, until the foot was off and the man was stitched up and placed on a cart. I watched from a distance as Robb spoke to the girl, I tried not to be jealous, but I didn’t like her, didn’t like the way that Robb was talking to her. I heard a little bark and turned my head to see Grey Wind trotting up next to me, he sat on the ground and we looked around that the damage that mostly we had caused.

Robb came up to us, walked in-between us and placed his hands on both of our heads, I shoved mine off and then turned around and started to walk away, wondering what had gone on between that girl and Robb could have been talking about.