Status: In progress

Back to the Beach

Chapter 1

Back at the beach. One of the many perks to changing majors – summers off by choice. Even though it is only just Easter break I am already anticipating decorating my little beach cottage. Well that’s the way I envision it even if it is only a summer rental bungalow in the Rockaways. The Rockaways, or The Rock as it affectionately known, is a small stretch of beach in Queens, New York bordering the Atlantic Ocean. The locals are fiercely loyal to their little slice of heaven. Even after Hurricane Sandy destroyed most of the inlet the locals could never let that bring them down. All the rebuilding and restoring has done wonders for this great beach town just outside the big city.

Unfortunately I am not a local although I grew up on this beach; I spent many summers here with my grandparents and later on with my cousins. This is where my love of the beach and ocean began and why I am returning now to find solace. You see I have been in love with my best friend, Zach for what seems like forever. He loves me too but just can’t seem to move past our friendship. Oh don’t get me wrong we have moved past our friendship many times but without any sense of commitment on his part. I can no longer bear the torment of my situation so I have come back to my beach to get my head straight and move forward with my life. This will not be an easy task since Zach has been in my life since middle school. I am hoping that the change of scenery and the renaissance occurring out here spur my own.

My little bungalow is the same one I used to come to as a child. Located on the corner of Beach 90th Street it is more of a row house than a bungalow. Its best features are the porch in the front and the backyard. Oh and it’s directly across the street from the beach. For me it doesn’t get much better than that and for the summer it’s all I need. The familiarity of being back here is a comfort. I remember how proud my Grandfather used to get when he finally had everything ready for the summer season. No one could decorate on a budget like him and make it look spectacular. I can only hope to achieve much of the same on my sparse teacher’s salary.

Being back here now I notice how tiny the bungalow actually is. It used to seem so big to me as a child. There is a small “sitting room” off the porch. Followed by the kitchen with its side door. The bathroom is located off the kitchen too; guess the builder decided it was easier to keep all the plumbing in one spot! After that there is the middle bedroom which I will claim for my own. Lastly, there is the back room with a door leading to the backyard that I intend to use for guests; guests who most likely will consist of my young cousins. I can’t see many of my friends wanting to spend weekends in such a small space but you never know.

Hmm, first things first; cleaning what will be my little oasis for the summer months. I’m sure I could call my older cousin, Cathleen and she’d have the place cleaned, disinfected and deodorized with every cleaning product known to man in a matter of hours but I need the catharsis that these tasks will bring me. Actually I relish the mundane tasks that will put all thoughts of love out of my mind even if it is only for a little while. Maybe I’ll pick up my beautiful Lindsay and Riley to help me shop for beach décor later. I’m sure my younger cousins will enjoy a little retail therapy besides I will enjoy the chance to spoil them just a little. I wonder if I will be able to spend the entire Easter break here; I hope the weather cooperates. In any case that’s the plan for now so I might as well get myself busy.

After plugging in my iPod I begin to drag the broom across the floor. I knew I should have updated my playlist. That damn song has to come one now. Can’t I have a minute’s peace? As the chorus starts I am back in his arms, he is singing in my ear…”I could spend my life in this sweet surrender; I could stay lost in this moment forever; Where every moment spent with you is a moment I treasure”. He is whirling me around the dance floor at his dad’s wedding and I am twirling the broom around this place like a fool. Back to reality and getting this place livable for the summer Bernadette I chastise myself.

Now that the sweeping is done I can open up all the windows and give this place a good airing out. The breeze will also surely help the floors to dry quickly so I decide to wash the floors today as well. I think I’ll treat myself to a mug o’tea while they dry, perhaps on the front porch. Yes, that sounds lovely.

Ahh now this is why I love Rockaway - a calming breeze, the slight chill with a mug o’tea to warm me. Now if everything could be so simple. Sigh…Uh oh, no time to daydream. Here come my cousins, jeez, it’s a whole welcoming committee which includes all three of my cousins with their children in tow; so much for my quiet moment. Cathleen, the oldest of the three approaches first “Can’t believe you are here and on your own, I remember your first summer here when you were a baby” she shrieks. Of course Maureen has no use for that “Oh Cath, move on, she is a grown woman now!” as she winks at me. Nora doesn’t get a chance to chime in as she chases the little ones inside. Lins and Riley begin to buzz at me like two little bees wanting information and lots of it! The first tidbit being when they can have their first sleepover! It is a joy to be the oldest female cousin isn’t it? I promise that they can stay over as soon as they are on their summer vacation and it seems to appease them for the moment. Cathleen heads inside and turns on the kettle so we can have a proper chat over the box of goodies they have brought me from the bakery “uptown” on 129th Street. Locals know that “uptown” is anything past 116th Street.

My Aunt Annie, mother to these three, lived uptown on 117th Street. I used to love to visit with her when I’d spend the summers here as a little girl as Annie was another one of the people who loved to spoil me. I remember Saturday trips up to visit Annie with my grandparents. We would always make a stop at that very bakery. My beloved Grandpa had a terrible sweet tooth and also spoiled me rotten. I miss him every day. He loved this little piece of beach in the middle of the big city. If he were around he’d have this place decorated in a week’s time. Between himself and Cathleen, all I would have to do is move in.

Now for the inquisition; of course my older cousins want to know everything all at once and will settle for nothing less. I am happy to oblige them but try to keep my real reason for being here to myself. I’m sure that if they realize I am trying to overcome my feelings for Zach they will be setting me up with every available bachelor on the peninsula. To be honest I wouldn’t mind being set up; it might be a nice diversion for me. A summer fling might be just what I need to get my feet wet again so to speak. Something to think about anyway.

After a long visit, loads of cleaning tips and invites for dinners this summer I am thankfully alone again; and “back to business” as my Grandma would remind me. I keep myself busy the rest of the afternoon working on the bathroom and bedroom. As long as I can take a hot shower and have a place to lay my head this evening I will feel like I accomplished something. After scrubbing the shower stall till it gleams I am thankfully finished for the day.

Bone weary now, I haven’t even thought about dinner. Guess I should have asked the cousins for some restaurant advice as well! Ah well I’ll tidy myself up and go for a walk to get myself reacquainted with the lay of the land. I can hardly wait to be back up on the boardwalk. A few minutes to get myself together and I can be off. I am silently pleased with myself for all the work I’ve accomplished today even with the intrusion of my family.

Grabbing my jacket and scarf I head out. It’s just spring after all and there is still a cool breeze coming off the ocean. The brisk air and a walk up to 116th Street on the boards has always been one of my favorite things; nothing better to clear my head and hopefully heal my heart. I look forward to see what is new on 116th Street. The rebuilding has also brought about a renaissance in the Rockaways. Its encouraging to see so many new businesses up here along with the mom and pop stores that have been around for as long as I can remember. The old Beach Bar has reopened but there are also so many gourmet food options. Right next to the Beach Bar is a new taco place. With my mother’s food truck obsession I have become more adventurous when trying new cuisine.

After walking up one side of the street and then the other; I decide to go with the tacos along with a rum infused cocktail. I am not disappointed - Yes, this is the life - a barstool on 116th Street, overlooking the boards on one side and the hustle of the street on the other with an awesome meal and cool drink in front of me. What more could a beach baby want? Well there is one thing but I am quick to put that thought out of my mind.

I also notice that the Rockaway Surf Shop is back in business and I’m glad. I could use a couple of new swimsuits and some campy sweatshirts for my summer wardrobe. I make a mental note to head back up here during the week for some browsing. Better invite the girlies or else I could be in some trouble. Spending the day shopping with those two will surely keep me busy and my mind off other things.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just something my mom and I started to write together...
Based on a personal experience.
Let me know what you guys think!

~Ashley xx