Status: In progress

Back to the Beach

Chapter 3

Sunshine brings another day in the Rock and another day to make my little bungalow cozy. I decide to forego more cleaning today in lieu of a shopping trip. After my trip to the grocery store last evening I realize I am still need of some more shampoo and the like. I decide to head back up to 116th street for a shopping trip as well as to get some cute items to decorate my space. I had better call the wee girls; if they find out I went to get some beachy decorations without them I’m not sure I’d ever be forgiven. After a quick call Lins and Riley will be tagging along as I promised they could. I’m sure they will be choosing the kitschiest of items in the brightest colors. It will be nice to have some company while I stroll in and out of the little shops. Even nicer is company that I don’t have to explain myself to – we can just enjoy the day and reward ourselves with some cool treats afterwards.

Lins of course has a list of the stores we MUST visit for coolest items. I’m not sure I will be able to carry everything so I invest in a small red wagon. Not only will it help with my purchases today, I’ll be able to use it back and forth to the beach during the summer. It’s a little more stylish than an old grocery wagon anyway. Riley chuckles “But Bernie, you don’t have any kids, why do you need a wagon?” As I explain to her my plan she grins her understanding. I promise her a ride in the wagon when we go to the beach over the summer and she is placated.

After the fourth or fifth stop on THE list we decide to grab a cool drink. As we pop into the Beach Club my breath catches…its Jake. “Hello Ladies!” he beams at the girls and they giggle innocently; “Bernadette, please introduce me to these two pretty ladies” he pleads. Without a step I oblige; Lins and Riley can’t contain themselves. This is bad – a bad case of puppy love if I’ve ever seen it. These girls will be clawing at each other to get first dibs on my hot new friend. Jake of course is eating this up; it’s making his eyes a little brighter than usual. And those eyes haven’t left mine for even a second except to acknowledge my adorable cousins.

Before I know it he is joining us for some iced teas outside and chatting these girlies up. He must know how irresistible I find men who adore children because he is pouring on the charm. Not to say that he is anything but insincere but really? He is using every cheesy pick up line on my wee gals and winking at me all the while. Lins and Riley are all too happy to be in his company as they describe in great detail each of our purchases. They are most excited about the sand art kits. I can see their creations now – Jake’s name surrounded by hearts and flowers. Maybe that’s not a bad idea?

We enjoy our break and before we say our goodbyes to Jake; he takes hold of my elbow while guiding me outside before whispering in my ear, “The sun is out Bernadette, I believe you owe me a “sun-check.” My face heats as I turn to meet his eyes. “Stop by the bungalow sometime tomorrow and we can have one.” I almost giggle. What has come over me? I think I am just as enamored as my two younger cousins because I can’t seem to meet his eyes now. “Till tomorrow then Bern.” he says coolly as he breezes away. Whew, I think I need some more tea. All the while Lins and Riley are giggling at me “You’ve got a date!” Oh my, I believe I do! How did that happen?

Back at the bungalow, the girls and I work on our art projects. These sweeties wanted to make something special to hang in the back room because it’s their room now. Good thing that I purchased the wagon because we walked back along the shoreline so they could gather shells to place into the plaques for my little haven. As the girls work on their projects in the backyard, my mind starts to wander back to Jake. What am I getting myself into? I am so not ready for this. Lins picks up on my daydreaming; “Thinking about your hot date tomorrow Bern?” she chirps. Hmm, this one is just like her Grandma, no beating about the bush here. “Yea, Lins, like how I got myself into this mess? And what am I going to wear?” says I knowing that I have only brought the bare necessities for this week. No sooner than the words are out of my mouth Riley pipes in “Mommy will just have to take us to the mall tonight then!” Not only have I agreed to seeing Jake, these two seem to be playing me like a violin.
♠ ♠ ♠
A short one, but hope you guys like it. I'll be posting more frequently now that I'm getting back into writing and the story just seems to be flowing from the tips of my fingers.
Hope you enjoy it!
Would love your feedback!

~Ashley x