Status: In progress

Back to the Beach

Chapter 4

Is there anything more delicious than sunshine through flowy white curtains on a fine spring morning? I think my best decision so far was moving the bed around to face the window. As I revel in the warmth of the sun and stretch like a contented cat I realize that Jake will be stopping over sometime today. What kind of an eejit doesn’t specify a time? Me that’s who! One more long stretch and I’m out of the bed. No sooner than I finish brushing my teeth do I hear a rap on my door. I peek out of the teeny bathroom towards the door. Of course, it’s Jake.

“Good morning love!” says he. Although I am still practically wiping the sleep from my eyes I can still see how amazing Jake is looking today. Maybe there is something more delicious? Clad in a simple white tee, faded jeans that hug all the right places and a pair of navy Converse he is looking mighty fine today. On the other hand I am still in my grungy tee and faded sweats so I must look a sight. “Thought we could get an early start on such a gorgeous day, what do ya say?” he asks.

As I invite him in, I turn on the kettle and he starts to unpack breakfast. Bacon, egg and cheese sandwiches for two – how did he know? I excuse myself for a moment to freshen up and change into the sundress I purchased at the urging of my cousins at the mall last evening. The soft buttery yellow plays well against my dirty blonde hair and definitely bring out the blue in my eyes -- if only it would do something about these butterflies in my belly. A quick brush of my hair and a touch of gloss and I’m good to go. Wish I knew what Jake had planned for such an early start to the day.

As we enjoy our breakfast the conversation flows easily. We talk about our families, likes and dislikes as any other two people getting to know each other. It’s easy and familiar talking and spending a lazy morning on the porch with Jake. I start to wonder what the rest of the day will bring. After our second round of tea Jake announces that we had better get moving. I grab my jacket and purse and we are off.

Wow, he has a jeep! And the top is off! He sees my excitement and I can tell he is silently pleased with himself because that sideways grin is back. He lets me know that there is a cap in the back seat for my hair if I need it as he opens the door for me. No way, I want to feel the wind in my hair and let everything blow away with it! After a little prodding, Jake still refuses to tell me where we are headed and contends that he wants it to be a surprise. As we head towards Breezy Point and eventually across the Marine Parkway Bridge I can only guess that we are headed into Brooklyn. Well if he intends to surprise me he already has the advantage, Brooklyn might as well be another planet; for even as a lifelong New Yorker I can probably count the times I’ve been here.

I start to spot a familiar tourist attraction when Jake chimes “I hope you like fish!” as we pull into the New York Aquarium. As we get ready to hop out of the Wrangler, Jake scrambles around to open my door for me. As fresh as the spring morning this one is. He takes my hand in his and leads me towards the gates. Just before we reach the entrance of the aquarium my phone pings. I am disappointed to see that it is Zach yet again. I ignore the interruption but Jake notices the scowl cross my face. “Everything Ok, over there?” he asks inquisitively. “Huh? yea everything’s grand, just not someone I am interested in talking to now or in the future.” “Hmmm, now that’s a wee bit interesting Miss O’Rourke… shall we?” I decide to turn my phone down for the rest of the day. Jake seems to notice my annoyance so I give him a big smile and reply “Let’s do it!”

Once we are inside Jake becomes quite the tour guide. He knows each species by name, including the scientific ones. I must say I am quite impressed. We meander around all the exhibits still holding hands and finish just in time for the show. While we wait for the show to begin, I ask him how he knows so much about the marine animals. “I used to study marine biology in high school and college.” he explains. “Used to? Why did you stop studying?” I ask. He begins to explain how after his Mom passed away he had to come back to New York to help his grandmother. He was away at sea on a research vessel when his Mom lost her battle with cancer. She didn’t have the heart to tell him how bad it was and he never got to say goodbye. His beautiful blue eyes become glassy as he explains how much he still misses her. I am touched that he would share something so intimate with me and I squeeze his big hand just a little tighter with both of mine. He gives me a small boyish smile as the show kicks off.

After the show we decide to grab some ice cream cones. When I offer to pay he is insulted “Ach Bern, please let me play the gentleman, at least on our first date.” Oh my and it hits me. We are on our first date – how did that happen? It’s not like I didn’t realize we were out and about I just hadn’t taken the time to wrap my ridiculous brain around it. He senses my trepidation as he wraps his arm about my waist and leads me from the ice cream stand. “Breathe Bern, it’s just a date” he whispers at my ear. I look up at him from under my lashes and I can’t help but smile.

When we finally finish our treats I realize it is late afternoon already. Where has the day gone? With our day at the aquarium complete, Jake asks “Up for another adventure before heading back?” “Bring it on Jake!” I reply nervously. I think I have an idea of what he has in mind but I don’t let on just yet. After a short ride my suspicions are in fact correct. Coney Island! My own Mom used to bring us here almost every year just to ride the famous Cyclone. It turned into a family tradition of sorts. I want to share this with Jake but I don’t want to spoil his fun. He looks so full of mischief right now.

Jake parks across from the towering coaster and gives me a look to make sure I’m okay with this. He makes his way around the car, this time I wait for him to open the door for me. He grabs my hand, kisses me at the side of my mouth and promises “You’re gonna love the Cyclone!” Whoa, where did that come from? My face warms a bright pink as I was not anticipating his kiss and my face flushes. I pray he doesn’t notice or thinks that I have just taken some sun this afternoon. Fat chance as he winks at me.

Jake and I make our way over to the crowd and purchase tickets. We wait for a while so that we can get the front seats. “It’s the only way to really enjoy the ride.” Jake explains to me. With the sun beginning to set I can’t wait to see the view of the ocean from the top of the Cyclone. The sky is already turning all shades of crimson and orange. Finally, the first car opens up and we slide into the seats. I had forgotten how small these cars are; we are pressed against each other snuggly. I feel the hardness of his body on mine, and my mind begins to think about having it really pressed against me. After we are buckled in tight, he wraps his hand in mine, turns to me, and says “Ready to fly?” All I can muster is “Mhmmm” because I know what’s coming.

The coaster takes off with an abrupt start and soon we are climbing up the first hill. The sky looks amazing as we climb towards it. I silently remember that this is the longest drop – its smooth sailing from here. Jake can sense my apprehension and he laces his fingers through mine. The closer we get to the top the closer Jake gets to me. I can smell the crisp scent of him as he pulls me closer. “Ready Bern?” he asks, his face lit up like Christmas morning. I barely get my response out when he covers my mouth with his. He kisses me softly me the entire time we are falling. The rush of the ride coupled with the excitement of his kiss make my heart leap from my chest. I am breathless when I pull away after what seems like an eternity. When the ride ends I can hardly catch my breath. Jake asks me coyly “Wanna go again?” I’m not sure I could survive another go like that!

With my weakened knees we make our way off the ride towards the souvenir stand. Our picture is up on one of the screens above us. When the crowd recognizes the kissing couple from the picture, a round of applause bursts forth. I am beyond embarrassed but Jake purchases the pictures without missing a step. He presses one into my hand, “So you will never forget the first kiss of many.” he proclaims. All I can do I peer up at him and grin like a fool.

As we begin to walk towards the car I suggest that we double back and head up to the boardwalk. All of that kissing has made me hungry and suddenly I have a craving for some fried clams. Another one of my Mom’s traditions, this time I decide to share with Jake. He smiles at me sweetly and we walk towards the beach. I make my way to the famous clam bar and order up for both of us. Jake grabs a beer for himself as we make our way through the crowded seating area. He guides me towards the front with his hand at the small of my back. It feels like it belongs there and as I dig into my clams I begin to imagine those masculine hands elsewhere. We chow down on our meal not realizing how hungry we both were. After that feast, I need to stretch my legs a bit so we head down the boardwalk for a while. Jake slings his arm across my shoulders; I welcome the embrace and step closer to him.

As we approach some of the gaming booths Jake decides to try his luck. I remind him that these games are just set up to get your money and the chances of actually winning are slim to none. He grins and reminds me “Well they haven’t seen the best of me yet!” He stops at each booth and proceeds to win a prize at each one. I can barely hold another stuffed anything when we come upon the Strong Man booth – the one where you swing the hammer and try to ring the bell at the top. As the hawker goads Jake into trying his luck I remind him that my new friends won’t even fit inside my tiny bungalow. One more he pleads; who I am to stop his streak? He kisses my cheek for good measure and takes his swing. Sure enough Jakes rings the bell on the first shot and wins a huge stuffed whale! I can’t contain myself as I burst out laughing, “Are you quite done trying to impress me Mr. McCrory?” “Oh Miss O’Rourke, you ain’t seen nothin’.” he exclaims as he grabs me and kisses me fiercely. Our stuffed friends are in a pool at our feet as I return his enthusiasm.

We make our way back to Rockaway, singing along with every song that the radio offers shyly glancing at each other all the while. We pull up outside my little bungalow and I’m a little disappointed that this perfect day has come to an end. I start to giggle to myself and this makes Jake curious, “What’s so funny over there?” “I was just thinking of where on earth I am supposed to house all of these creatures?” says I, “I might have to rent more space from your family just to have enough room.” As he giggles along he suggests letting my young cousins have first pick and then donating the rest to the local hospital, except for the whale. Jake insists that I keep the largest one of all, “It will remind you of the huge smile you placed upon my face today.” As I begin to smile shyly at him he cups my face in his hands and places the sweetest kiss upon my lips, “Thanks for a wonderful first date, how will I be able to make the second one measure up?” All I can think of is if you keep kissing me like that it won’t be a problem.
♠ ♠ ♠
Decided to put up a long one since the last post was so short...
Feedback is much appreciated!

~ Ashley xx