Status: In progress

Back to the Beach

Chapter 5

I awake to a glorious Thursday morning. I tumble out of bed and try to think of what to do with the rest of my day when my phone pings. “Hey” it reads. When I see who it’s from my whole mood shifts; after a wonderful day yesterday why is Zach contacting me now? It’s like he knows and wants to infringe on my good mood. Well I’m having none of it and I ignore the message. Stick that in your hat mister! I turn on the kettle while I take care of some housekeeping. As I freshen up I replay some of the events from yesterday over in my mind. It wasn’t enough to dream about Jake all night I can’t stop thinking about his kisses while I am awake either. I gather up my little breakfast and head onto the porch. My breath leaves me when I see all the daffodils! Everywhere there were bunches of daffodils tied with colored ribbons. The note reads, “Since I didn’t know your favorite flower, these reminded me of your dress from yesterday as well as springtime. And since springtime is for new beginnings, here’s to it. X-Jake” Oh my!

As I reread the note for the third time I hear them before I spot them. It’s my cousins, and oh will I have some serious explaining to do. Cathleen nearly doubles over when she sees all the flowers. Maureen quips, “We came for some tea not for a wake, what’s with all the flowers?” I run back inside and hustle the kids to the back room where all the stuffed animals have spent the night and they are amazed. Riley thinks I have robbed FAO Schwarz overnight and Tommy can’t seem to decide which one he likes best. Deidre has just situated her little self in the middle of all of them and seems amused that all the pulling and tugging going on with her cousins. Cathleen yells back to me “You can’t hide back their forever missy, the kettle is ready!” Uh oh, here it comes.

After a long craic session, my cousins are still full of questions most of which I do not have the answers to. I mean this just happened out of nowhere how do I even know where it’s going yet? Let me catch my breath and get my bearings before you start marching me down the aisle ladies! Of course they just want to see me happy so I can’t blame them much. I promise to keep them in the loop and stop by before I leave to go home at the end of the week. Lins, Riley, Tommy and Deidre have their new friends and will donate the rest to their school. That means the lot of them will have to come back to pick up the lot of stuffed animals. The inquisition will continue then.

Wow, I can’t believe that I have to head back to the Bronx in just a few days. As I ponder that thought over a sink full of dishes I hear a familiar knock on my door. I grin like a fool and bound towards it. Jake is standing among the daffodils with a single red rose in his hand. “Thought we could have dinner tonight?” he smiles at me. His blue eyes are twinkling and I know he is up to something. I kiss him on the cheek and thank him for the flowers. As I invite him inside, I agree to our dinner date and he seems relieved. He comments on how cozy the bungalow looks and we chat for a bit. After awhile he mentions that he needs to head out to take care of some repairs for his Gran. As he turns to leave he slides his hand behind my back and up to my shoulders as he pulls me in for a kiss. As I return his kiss I loop my hands behind his head and hold him to me. He leaves me breathless yet again as he makes his way to the door.

After I finish cleaning up I make my way across the street for a stroll on the beach. I am not on the sand for more than five minutes when my phones rings. It’s my Grandma; I can only hope that Cathleen has not gotten a hold of her yet. I do not need another Q&A session about my love life. Thank goodness she is just checking up on me. Of course I get chastised for not calling her first… Typical Grandma. I promise to take lots of pictures of the bungalow for her and to call before I head home. Now I can walk on the beach in peace with only my thoughts of Jake with me.

I am not even a few blocks down the beach when my phone pings again “Ignoring me?” Why yes Zach, I am I think to myself. I am so not in the mood for him today. I reply curtly “Yes, thought you would get the idea since you are so good at it.” Thank goodness there is no reply and I can continue along the shore. What is his game anyway? I start to think that he is up to something and it makes me curious and nervous at the same time. I decide that have devoted enough time to Zach for a lifetime and move onto more thoughts of Jake. As I walk I pick up little shells and rocks along my way. I’ll probably start storing them in all sorts of glass vessels like my Mom does at home. My mind wanders back and forth to delicious thoughts of Jake’s kisses and then back to my heartache with Zach. Will I ever be able to move past what I thought was my destiny with Zach? What exactly is happening between Jake and me? As the seagulls begin to squawk around me I am reminded of why I am here in the first place and put Zach out of my mind once again and continue down the beach.

Oh no, where has the time gone? Jake will be around for our dinner date in no time; there definitely won’t be any time for a shower. Well I hope a pair of skinnies and a messy bun will do for tonight because that’s all I will have time for. I’m just pulling into my jeans when I hear what has become one of my favorite sounds, a confident rap at my front door to announce Jake’s arrival. “Come on in, I’ll just be another few minutes” I yell from my simple bedroom. I hear the screen door close behind him and I smile to myself. How could someone who I just met make me feel so good?

I hear Jake before I see him; he is humming something to himself as he takes in my little room. It sounds familiar but I can’t place the tune. Seeing him sitting so comfortable among my things warms my heart. It’s almost like he belongs here. I’m relieved when I see him dressed casually as well. I’ve never seen anyone wear a simple t-shirt so well. Dressed all in black, he is a sight to behold right down to his black Converse. My breath catches a bit as he stands to meet me. “Evening Bern, glad you weren’t expecting something too fancy” he says as he greets me with a swift kiss on my cheek and a warm hug. “Am glad too because to be honest I’m not up for anything too fancy at all. Lately I’m thinking the best things in life are those that come easiest,” I answer. He looks at me quizzically and we are out the door.

We approach the Jeep and I’m suddenly glad that my hair is up because the top is off again. Jake, ever the gentleman opens the door for me and helps me climb in. “Hope you don’t mind the top off Bern, it’s supposed to be clear tonight so I thought we could enjoy the sky as we drive” he says as he pulls out. “Am I allowed to know our destination this evening or are we still keeping secrets?” I tease. “One, I don’t keep secrets Bern and two, I prefer keeping it spontaneous” he chides me. Seems I’ve struck a nerve; I hope it doesn’t spoil our evening. I kiss his cheek for a little forgiveness, he links his hand with mine and we’re good to go.

It’s a little quiet in the car so I turn on the radio to break the silence. Hmmm, I’m in the mood for a little country music tonight, let’s see how this goes. I tune the radio to my favorite country station and am welcomed by Luke Bryan “I’m a little drunk on you and high on summertime” he sings. This is one of my favorite songs and suddenly Jake is singing along. As the chorus comes back around we are stopped at a red light, he caresses my face with his free hand looks right at me and croons “I’m a little drunk on you and high on summertime” This guy is really something and I’m beginning to feel a little drunk on him too.

I hardly noticed that we have made our way across the bridge into Howard Beach. Holding Jake’s hand and singing along with the radio has me a little preoccupied. We pull up to the next light and Jake asks “Pizza okay with you?” Since I know where I am I reply quickly “As long as it’s Gino’s we’re good!” “As the lady wishes then” he answers as he swings a u-turn to park the car in the lot behind the restaurant.
I’m beyond happy to learn that my favorite pizza joint now has a back porch. As Jake and I wait to be seated outside we chat aimlessly about our day and the rest of the week. Once again his arm is slung about my shoulder and as I lean into his embrace I feel the butterflies beginning to flutter. What is that my mother used to tell me? “Love has a funny way of sneaking up on you when you least expect it.” Well I don’t know if it’s love just yet but it whatever it is, it feels good right now. I sigh and he pulls me closer.

We are seated in a cozy corner on the porch and I can hardly wait to eat. He takes the seat in the booth next to me and I’m glad for the nearness of him. I am starting to get moody thinking about heading home. Jake must sense my mood and orders quickly. “So we only have a couple of days before you head back, huh?” Jake queries. “Yea, but I’m hoping to come back on weekends and for good by Memorial Day.” I reply quickly. I don’t want my impending departure to ruin any of our time together. Jake seems satisfied for now and we dig into the piping hot pizza that the waiter has just put before us. He has some cheese dangling from the side of his mouth in the cutest way, so I giggle. “What’s so funny?” he asks. “This” I say as I lean forward to kiss the cheese away. He rewards me with a huge grin and returns my boldness with his own kiss. We polish off a large pie and we’re stuffed. As we pay the bill I know that I’m not ready to say goodnight to Jake just yet. Here’s to hoping he has plans for us beyond pizza.

Hand in hand we head back to the Jeep. Jack tucks me into the car with a kiss and we head off. Not caring where we are headed at this point I crank the radio back up. It’s a cool clear night and the stars are dancing above us. Jake is zipping down the almost empty Boulevard and since the breeze is not cooperating with my hair I decide to let it down. As I loosen my bun and shake out my hair I hear Jake’s breath hitch a little. “Like the view Mr. McCrory?” I whisper to him. I see his answer before he articulates it so I scoot a little closer under his arm and place my trembling hand across his chest. Snuggled up against him with the wind whipping through my hair is magic.

The magic spell is broken with a ring from my phone. I already know who it is. I decide to answer. “Bern, finally, what’s up?” Zach says. I am seething inside and trying not to let Jake see how exasperated I am. I hope that when I say these next words to Zach that he gets the message loud and clear. “Zach, I have nothing to talk with you about – leave me alone please!” and I shove the phone away. “Well, I never want to be on YOUR bad side, miss” Jake quips at me. “You’d do good to remember that Jake” I hiss. Oh, this is not right I am taking my anger out on the person who deserves it least. “Jake, I am so sorry, please don’t be angry.” I begin to explain. “Zach is an old friend of mine and we’ve had a kind of falling out. He wants back in and I just want him out. Unfortunately he is having a hard time getting the message.” Jake huffs, “Well as long as he is only an old friend then, I don’t share and I despise secrets Bern. You’d do well to remember that.” All I can do is sigh and try to save the evening.

We are back across the bridge into Rockaway in no time but are headed away from my bungalow. Happy not to be going home just yet I nuzzle Jake’s neck just a bit. I am not sure where my sudden boldness has come from. No matter what it is it just feels right so I trail light feathery kisses from behind his ear down his neck. “If you keep that up Bern, I’m going to have to pull over,” he breathes. Knowing that I affect him gives me confidence. As I continue my assault I try to get as close as possible to him. I don’t know what has come over me – I have never made the first move with a guy before. Yet somehow this is different, I feel safe with Jake. I know he is enjoying my playfulness although I am not quite sure how far I want this to go just yet.

Carrying on with my shenanigans I hardly notice that the car has stopped. Jake quickly undoes his seatbelt and before I know it his lips find mine. He places each of his hands on my face and kisses me tenderly. His kiss begins slow and languid but as our tongues begin to dance together the mood shifts and heats. His hands are fisted and tangled in my hair as he pulls me as close as he can. I have never been kissed like this before. He breaks the spell and breathlessly says, “Let’s go for a walk.”

Now that I am out of the car I notice we are somewhere in Breezy Point walking towards the beach. We pass through a small-gated archway and I can barely make out the shape of a small cottage in the dark. We walk past the cottage and onto the beach. There are a two Adirondack chairs facing the water with a cooler in between. A single jar candle sits atop the cooler with the flame dancing in the breeze. “What do you think? My very own slice of the peninsula?” Jake inquires. “This is yours?” I ask tentatively. “Well the house and property around it is, unfortunately no one can actually own the beach in New York. Although it is pretty private for the most part,” he informs me. “Jake, it’s amazing. I wish I could see it in the daylight though” Nervously I sit down in one of the chairs and take a deep breath. I can’t believe the things coming out of my own mouth. I have practically invited myself to spend the night with a guy I only just met a couple of days ago. Sensing my nervousness, Jake kneels at my feet taking my hands into his own. “Bern, we don’t have to do anything you aren’t ready for. For now I am content to spend time together, holding hands and kissing you whenever I want. After all, what would my Gran think if I were to take advantage of one her summer guests?” he assures me. “Jake McCrory you are too good to be true, thank you,” I whisper as I lean forward to grab his face and kiss him senseless.

He pulls me closer towards him and we tumble back onto the sand. He breaks away for a minute and grabs a plaid blanket from the cooler. Jake pulls me towards him; our bodies fit together like puzzle pieces. I feel like he was made for me. As the kiss begins to deepen my hands begin to wander over his muscled arms and back. Jake begins to run his hands down my back to pull me as close. Suddenly I need to feel his skin so I move my hands under his shirt and feel the muscles of his beautiful back. As if my touch were electrified, he shudders. As I pull my hands away he moans “Don’t stop Bern, your hands feel like silk on my skin”. I am melting in all the right places and can’t get enough of him.
I want, no I need to feel his hands on me – “Jake, please touch me,” I murmur. No sooner than the words escape my mouth his warm hands are under my shirt. I need more - not wanting any barrier between us I strip off my tee and pull him to me. He is surprised at my audaciousness but returns the favor. We are now skin on skin from the waist up, kissing, touching, caressing. We continue exploring and learning each other’s cues. Jake is gentle yet I can feel his strength in each touch. My mind begins to wonder what it would be like to make love to him.

After awhile Jake pulls away from me, “Bernadette, you feel amazing, what are you doing to me?” he purrs in my ear. “Why Mr. McCrory, I am not doing anything you haven’t enjoyed, have I?” I reply coyly. He flashes me his sideways grin and pulls back onto his elbow studying my face like he is trying to memorize it. As I begin to shiver from the lack of his body heat he pulls me in to his arms and wraps the ends of the blanket around us. We lay there in silence staring at the stars staring at each other. Little does he know that I am thanking those very stars for the man next to me and I begin to doze.