Status: In progress

Back to the Beach

Chapter 6

Seriously, can the gulls be any more annoying this morning? I struggle to squint, the sun is strong through the windows this morning. Wait a minute, there are no windows. I am still wrapped up with Jake on the beach. I can’t believe we fell asleep staring at the stars last night. I can hardly remember such a peaceful sleep. I’m guessing a lot of it has to do with the gentleman resting next to me. I take this blissful moment to study his sweet face. The sun is throwing reddish highlights off his deep brown hair and a slight scruff has appeared on his face overnight. His lips are twisted into a wry grin and I wish I knew what he was dreaming about. As if he realized I have been studying him, he mumbles “You.” Huh? “Well you have been staring at me for an eternity and I’m grinning like a fool so I must have been dreaming of you Bernadette” he drowsily purrs at me. I push the hair back from his face so I can have the pleasure of seeing those blue eyes and I caress his morning stubble. He places a sweet kiss on my lips as he pulls me closer. “No peep show for the good people of Breezy this morning Bern” he jokes handing me my shirt. As I untangle myself from Jake and the blanket he guards me as I pull the shirt over my head. Always the gentleman, Mr. McCrory is. “How about breakfast?” he asks as he saunters towards his cottage.

Jake flips on the kettle and grabs some bread for toast as I freshen up in his bathroom. As he busily whisks some eggs together I decide to give myself a tour of his cozy home. The entire living areas are on the first floor. A small sitting room in the front acts as an entryway. It’s all decked out in a masculine nautical theme. Past that is an ample sized living room with a huge sectional and flat screen. I can see that Jake has all the latest gadgets hooked up to his entertainment center. Sigh, boys and their toys. The living room opens up into the country kitchen. Towards the back of the kitchen is an antique looking spiral staircase that leads up to the loft. I’ll have to check that out later as I head Jake calling me for breakfast.

Breakfast is of course delicious, is there anything this man doesn’t do well? We chat away comfortably as we eat. As we gather the plates to clean up Jake reminds me that it’s Good Friday and asks me if I have any plans. “Aside from going home to freshen up and attending mass no plans for this girl today” I tell him. “Excellent, we can go to St Camillus at 3pm for mass if you’d like.” Without hesitating I reply “Sounds good to me.” Jake drops me back at my place after we clean up the breakfast dishes and I can’t stop grinning.

I spend the remainder of the morning and early afternoon continuing to clean up my little space. I hang the sand art in the back room above the bed for the girls and place the rest of our purchases around the space. I have to admit the place is really starting to become a cozy little beach cottage. I can’t wait to be here permanently, well for the summer anyway. I take a minute to make a list of the things I will need to bring with me when I come back again and decide to call my Dad. I fill him in on my progress but of course leave Jake out of the conversation; I am still his baby girl after all. I promise to see him for Easter dinner on Sunday at Grandmas and we exchange goodbyes. I am excited because now I can enjoy the Easter weekend and maybe even ask Jake for dinner on Saturday. Maybe if I have time tomorrow morning, I can purchase a barbeque grill. Hmm, maybe Cathleen would drive me to pick one up? Before I call Cathleen, I check in with Mom.

My Mom could always read me so well… “So Bern, who is he?” she inquires. “Ach Mom, just Mrs. McCrory’s grandson, Jake. We have been spending some time together in between cleaning spurts.” I quickly reply. This quick answer is a sure way to pique my Mom’s interest. As she begins to giggle, I can’t contain my curiosity. “What’s so funny Ma?” Between laughs, Mom lets me know that Jake and I used to play together on the beach when we were wee babies. My Grandma used to take Jake to the beach with us whenever he was with his Gran because although the McCrory’s owned properties near the beach, Mrs. McCrory’s feet NEVER touched the sand. Mom thinks she might even have pictures of us somewhere and knowing my mother that’s a safe bet. I cut our trip down memory lane short explaining that I am headed to mass at 3pm. I can feel my mother’s grin through the phone.

Jake’s eyes meet mine as I near the church. Their blueness always makes me catch my breath; he is the perfect mixture of rugged and sexy. He greets me with is sideways grin, I give him a quick kiss on the cheek and we enter St. Camillus. He whispers to me before the mass begins, “Tea at Gran’s after this?” I hardly have time to mouth “yes” when the priest greets the congregation. I don’t get a chance to notice the rest of my family enter the church behind us.

Mass is over and we gather outside to greet my cousins. I can see them all checking Jake out and trying to hold their tongues with all the prying questions they are dying to ask. I am thankful that they have decided to take it easy on us, for now anyway. As we say goodbye to everyone I can hear my younger cousins giggling furiously. Cathleen has agreed to help me procure a grill tomorrow morning. I’m glad that Jake didn’t bring his jeep to church and that we would be walking to his Gran’s. Walking near the ocean has always been one of my favorite things. Like he can read my mind, Jake suggests that we actually venture down to the sand. We stroll hand and hand the short distance to his Gran’s. I am sure this is going to be quite the craic once his Gran realizes whom I am.

Boy was I ever right; once Gran found out that I was Willie and Finola’s granddaughter who used to spend her summers in Rockaway that was it. She regaled Jake and I with every story she could. Gran (she asked me to call her that) had some great memories of my own family. She also remembered that Jake and I used to spend a lot of time on the beach when we were just babies. She winked at me more than once as she recalled those days. Jake wondered why all the tales didn’t embarrass me so I told him how I had just had the very conversation with my own Mom earlier. He flashed me his sideways grin and it took my breath away. As if he sensed my attraction at that very moment he started to help Gran clean up and we began to say our goodnights. Irish goodbyes are seldom quick and of course we each had to take a few biscuits with us for later on.

We once again take the opportunity to walk along the shoreline back to my wee bungalow. I will never tire of this, it’s the most peaceful thing, and holding hands with Jake makes it even better. We talk as if we have known each other forever, which now we both realize we do in a way. Jake stops because he spots a falling star. “Quick, make a wish Bern; there’s a falling star, can you see it?” he exclaims like a little boy. I close my eyes after spotting the star, take a deep breath and make my wish. When I open my eyes all I can see is Jake’s beautiful face inches from mine. I don’t hesitate, I pop up onto my tiptoes and place a chaste kiss on his lips. He sighs and deepens the kiss. For the rest of my life I think will never ever be kissed like this again.

We are breathless when we begin to continue down the beach. The closer we get to home the quieter I become. I don’t want my time with Jake to end yet, I am not sure I’m ready for anything more just yet. Jake notices my mood change and decides we should sit for a while. I gladly oblige because it means I get to spend more time with him. He pulls me in front of him between his long legs and holds me close. He whispers in my ear “This has been an amazing few days Bernadette, thank you.” “You’re thanking me like it’s over Jake, are you not telling me something?” says I; “I’m headed home on Sunday morning but will be back each weekend and Memorial Day will be here before we know it.” Jake is nuzzling my hair when he promises “I know Bern, this is just the beginning, I just wanted to tell you.” Oh my!

We finally reach my bungalow and I invite Jake in for a bit. I think he can sense my apprehension because he replies “Only to make sure you’re all tucked in mo chroi” We settle on my small sofa in the front room and start watching an old movie. Before I know it my eyes feel heavy and I’m asleep in Jake’s lap with his arms around me.

I awake with a start, Jake is carrying me to my bed. Ever the gentleman this one, how did I get so lucky? I sigh and take a deep breath of Jake’s scent. He presses his forehead to mine and does the same. I remember the words from the Luke Bryan song and whisper to him “I’m a little drunk on you…” He finishes the lyric “and high on summertime…” as his lips meet mine.

Before I know it, we are on my bed all tangled up in each other and hearts beating a frantic tattoo. I never want to be away from this man. I can honestly feel my heart beginning to heal each time he breaths my name. It’s like a prayer from his mouth. Our kisses become more intense and needy. I know where this can go and tell myself not to over think and just go with my feelings for once. Jake is over me with his hands on each side of my face. He is searching my eyes for clues to see how far I’m willing to take this. I can feel his hesitation like I am piece of fine Irish china. “Jake, I won’t break, I want this as much as you do” I breathe. That is all the invitation he needs.

Jake’s calloused hands are like velvet against my skin. Who knew such roughness could be so tender. I ache to feel his skin against mine. “Jake, please I need to feel you” I plead. And just like that the fire is ignited. We can’t get the clothes off each other fast enough. Finally we are skin on skin. I have never felt like this before. I want to crawl inside him, feel every part of him; feel all of him on me. “Bern…” he breathes “are you sure about this?” “Absolutely Jake, I want you” is my reply as he leans down to claim my lips once more.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it's been a really long time... have had a lot going on and am finally getting back in the groove of things. Hope you guys like it!