Status: In progress

Back to the Beach

Chapter 7

When I awaken to Jake’s beautiful face in peaceful repose, I practically hug myself. He looks like a younger version of himself with some scruff just beginning to appear around his jaw. I can remember the mischief in his eyes last night as he made love to me for the first time. Feeling him around every inch of me last night and this morning has me grinning like a fool. How did this happen so quickly and how did I get so lucky? I sigh as Jake pulls me in tighter to him and my eyes close with a sleepy smile across my face.

The next thing I hear is a clatter coming from my tiny kitchen. “Damn” I hear him say. I giggle to myself because I’m sure he is afraid he might have woken me up. I grab his t-shirt from the floor and walk out to the kitchen. “What’s all the fuss in here about?” I ask as I wander behind him and wrap my arms around his waist. “Ach Bern, I’m sorry I woke you, I wanted to bring you breakfast” he says dejectedly. “Poor baby, wanted to surprise me, did you?” I chide him. As the pout begins to form on his beautiful mouth I stand on my tiptoes to kiss him. “All better now?” I ask sweetly as I head back to bed. As I snuggle back under the covers I notice our clothes piled up on the floor. I hug myself as I recall Jake’s tenderness last night.

We lounge in bed, reveling in the sunshine streaming in from the windows as we eat our breakfast. Jake has made the most delicious chocolate chip pancakes; I don’t know which is sweeter the pancakes or the chef. I could stay here forever with him – content and happy. I haven’t felt this good in a very long time, well since. Quickly I put those thoughts out of my mind. I won’t let anything ruin this perfect morning.

After cleaning up the dishes we decide to take a walk along the beach. Will I ever get enough of this? I hop into the shower first and secretly wish to myself that it was much larger so that Jake could share it with me. I’d like to stare at his beautiful body in the light after having my hands all over him last night. With those wicked thoughts in my head he sticks his head the door in to remind me that the day is getting away from us. While he showers I make the bed and get dressed. He smells deliciously fresh and of Jake when he lands in my room in just my towel. There are just not enough hours in the day to spend with this man. It’s all I can do to keep my hands off of him, so I don’t.

After we are cleaned up yet again we make our way out to the beach. I grab my little pail in case I spot some shells for my collection. Jake grins at me “Bern, are we building sand castles or something because I’m pretty sure I left my shovel at home.” I give him a poke with my elbow “No wise ass, where do you think all the shells around the bungalow came from” That sideways grin will be the death of me I’m sure. He grabs me by the waist and we are soon back on the beach.

As we walk, Jake lets me know he has some things to take care of for his Gran today so I ask him if he’d like to come for dinner afterwards. We make plans to meet back at the bungalow around seven and I am secretly hoping that it will be enough time to put my plan into action. He leaves me with yet another breathless kiss on the beach and I scamper back to the bungalow to call Cathleen.

In no time, Cathleen is at my door and we’re out to the stores. No sooner do I have my seatbelt fastened when she demands “Spill, Bernadette!” Thankfully it’s just the two of us because with everything that has happened this short week I’m not sure I could handle the whole clan. I give her the simple version of the time we have spent together leaving out the part where he spent the night. She seems happy for now. I’m surprised when she mentions Zach. I so don’t want to go there; with her, with him, with anyone. So I tell her, he is not in my life any longer.

Cathleen helps me choose a small grill, a canopy and an outdoor bistro set for my backyard. She also convinces me that the finishing touch will be these twinkling outdoor lights. I think that they will look like Christmas lights but she is very persistent and buys them for me anyway. “Seem like you are planning a very romantic barbeque Bern, I promise these will add a romantic touch to the evening” she assures me as we check out. Seems like being a hopeless romantic is a family trait.

When we arrive back on 90th Street the welcoming committee is waiting for us. The rest of my cousins, their children and husbands are there to help me assemble my purchases. Thanks be to God because without them there is no way I could possibly be ready in time. The guys tackle the grill and canopy while Cathleen and I work on the bistro set. Lins and Riley are tucking the flowers along the bottom of the fence with Tommy and Deidre. Lins thinks I should save the prettiest ones for a centerpiece – see hopeless romantics do run in our family. Maureen arrives later with enough cold cuts and snacks for the small army that is gathered in my yard. Nora chastises her for being absent when the actual work was being done. Typical sisters.

As I look around me I realize how lucky I am. We eat, talk and laugh loudly like a typical Irish family does. As we are cleaning up I hear the familiar ring of the Mr. Softee truck. Before they can even ask, I am herding the lot of kids outside for ice cream. After finishing off their ice cream everything has taken shape and my little yard has been transformed into a twinkling oasis. Cathleen was right; the lights truly are the finishing touch. Maureen has also arranged all of the daffodils around the space for good measure. Jake’s single red rose sits at his place setting waiting for his arrival and the prettiest flowers grace the center of the table.

The cousins leave and I take once last look around before I head inside to get myself ready. Although I am well scrubbed and primped for Jake’s arrival; I’m not sure I am ready for tonight. All of the butterflies in my stomach are wreaking havoc with my head. We’ve done so much in our short time together over the past few days yet I’m still afraid of falling hard and fast. Am I already there? What if this is just a summer romance? I need more than that and am hoping to tell Jake a little tonight. As the thoughts leave my head I hear the familiar rap on my front door. “Come to the back Mr. McCrory!” I shout as a wide smile crosses my face.

Jake bounds into the backyard and stops immediately. He stands stock still for a minute drinking everything in still speechless. He walks purposefully towards me like he can’t get to me fast enough. Finally he reaches me, those damn blue eyes drinking me in. He takes a deep breath, gathers me in his arms and twirls me around. “Bernadette, this is incredible and before I forget to say so later thank you for the best night.” he says and all my doubts and fears melt away in his kiss.

Of course, Jake is just like any other man and insists on taking over the grill. I’m glad I have everything we need for dinner stashed in the coolers out here. Running back and forth from the kitchen would mean less time spent with Jake and I realize that I want to remember every minute of this night. We move easily together preparing our all-American barbeque – hot dogs and cheeseburgers. I’ve even managed to perfect my Grandma’s potato and macaroni salads in no time. Finally it’s time to eat and as we sit I propose a toast “Here’s to summer and our first barbeque of the season” I say as we clink our plastic glasses. Jake retaliates “To beginnings, in-betweens and endings…” Jake catches my frown and finishes the toast “the beginning of US, in-betweens with YOU and the ending of just ME.” I’m such a goner. I inhale deeply and I lean across the table to kiss him.

The banter over dinner is a recap of the last few days spent together. It’s like we are both trying to remember every detail before I head back tomorrow morning. We laugh easily together as we reminisce. It’s hard to believe that I have only known Jake for less than a week. He fell into my life so quickly I am anxious that he could fall out of it just as fast. I put these thoughts at bay for now and continue to enjoy the beautiful evening. We finish our meal and Jake, ever the gentleman, helps me to clean up. As we move past each other, he reaches and pulls me close while he turns up the radio. Keith Urban is singing about kissing a girl and Jake knows every word. He sways me around the yard singing into my ear all the while. “Hey, I’m a girl” I murmur at his ear and his lips find mine.
“I can’t believe you went to all this trouble for me.” He says to me. “No one has ever made me feel so special Bernadette.” he continues. How is it that he always knows the very thing to say to make me swoon? Playing it cool, I reply “Ach Jake, twas nothing, just a quick run to the store really.” “You teasin’ me Miss O’Rourke?” he questions as a playful smile graces his face. “Mr. McCrory, you should realize by now sir, that I am no tease, whatcha see is whatcha get.”, and I return his smile. “Well if that’s the case, I sure do like what I see” he states and I’m swooning once again.

The soft spring night begins to cool so we settle on dessert inside. I’ve arranged all the fixings for some ice cream sundaes. Jake’s eyes light up like a wee one when he spies all the toppings. He kind of looks like a deer in the headlights and doesn’t know what to choose first. As we start to arrange our sundaes, he exclaims “Bern, this is ridiculous, are you sure you cousins aren’t coming over for dessert later – there’s enough here for twenty let alone us two.” “Well I didn’t know what your favorites were so I got a little bit of everything”

We finally complete out masterpieces and Jake offers me some from his spoon. He teasingly pulls the spoon away each time I get close to tasting it. “Who’s the tease now Jake?” I pout at him. “I just want to see how close to me I can get you without the ice cream to entice you?” With that I round the table and straddle myself across his lap. I get as close possibly to his lips without touching and whisper “Close enough for you Mister?” Without hesitating he takes a deep breath and says “No matter how close you are to me Bernadette, it seems like it will never be enough.” This man takes my every breath away. I cover his face with wet cookie dough kisses. When his mouth finally finds mine my definition of the perfect sundae is forever changed.

We continue to tease at each other with wet ice cream kisses. After a moment I lean back to take a good look at him before I speak my fears out loud. “Hmmm, I wish I weren’t heading home tomorrow.” I sigh. “Me too Bern, but you’ll be returning for the summer soon and by then you’ll be tired of this face” he says. Yea, right… “Jake, I don’t think I d ever get tired of looking at you, especially when you are looking at me like that.” “Why Bernadette, whatever do you mean?” I run my fingers lightly over his lips before I say “Like I’m the cherry on top of your sundae.” His breath hitches for a minute; “Aren’t you though?” I know I’d like to be.

These sweet moments are making the night fly by. I am missing Jake already and I’m still sitting on his lap. Jake senses my anxiety and holds me close. “Mo chroi, no worrying tonight. I’ll be right here awaiting your speedy return and dreaming of you all the while.” he promises me. I get up and take his hand leading him to my room, “Let’s make a memory we can both savor while I’m gone.” I rasp at him. The look in his eyes leaves no doubt.

Jake’s masculine presence in my tiny room is overwhelming. All of my senses are alight with excitement and I can’t wait for him to touch me. He is looking at me, drinking me in like it’s the last time he will ever see me. His eyes on me take the last of my breath away as I step towards him. Breathing deeply I begin to unbutton the soft green flannel he is wearing. My eagerness is making me all thumbs and Jake seems amused. Hah, there will be no mocking me tonight. Before I see the sideways grin that I adore pass over his face, I place sweet kisses along his jaw and down his neck as I push the shirt from his shoulders. His grin has a whole new meaning now. He helps me undo the buttons at his cuffs and I admire him as he was doing to me moments ago. Tis a beautiful sight this man who is mine for tonight. I continue to place kisses across his chest and neck.

With ragged breath, Jake skims the spaghetti straps of my dress from my shoulders. He glides his fingertips across my throat, to my shoulders and down my arms. As I begin to shiver he places butterfly kisses in his fingers wake. As my dress slips to the floor Jake helps me step out of it. I am standing before him in pale pink lace and I feel my entire body begin to warm from the inside out as he gazes at me. Standing with him like this seems perfectly natural, I’m not shy or embarrassed at all because the eyes gazing at me are filled with desire. And maybe love?

“Bernadette, I think just looking at you like this could be enough to last me until I see you again” he breathes into my shoulder. His hands are at my waist now and he runs his hands up my back gripping me by the shoulders. I feel possessed and protected all at once. His skin on my skin is like nothing I’ve ever felt. It’s electric and magical all at once. With his arms wrapped around me he captures my lips, deepening it as it moves on. He starts moving his lips back across my neck and moves around me kissing my upper back all the while beginning to trailing his fingertips across my breasts. The torture and build up is delicious. Of all the times I have spent with Jake I’m pretty sure this will be the memory that will linger longest. I am burning these moments into my brain when he moves around so that we are once again face-to-face. “Open your eyes, Bern, I need to see you, need to see how you’re feeling” he rasps. I open my eyes and stare back into Jake’s.

I must lay my hands on more of him, now! With a cheeky smirk at him, my hands make their way down his back, across his torso and then his waist. I tease my fingers long enough at the waistband of his jeans just long enough to hear my name escape his mouth. When I begin to undo the button fly jeans the growl he makes catches me by surprise. I have never been coveted or wanted in this way. It’s intoxicating and making me brave. My desperate hands finally reach their goal.

Jake is smooth and hard all at once and I want to feel every inch of him. I help him shimmy the jeans and boxers down his legs. He finally decides to be rid of them and what is standing before is not worthy of any woman let alone me. There are no words only touch now. As I run my tongue over my bottom lip I catch it in my teeth and plan my next move. Jake see the glint in my eye “Woman, I can tell you’re up to no good over there.” “You’ve got that right Mr. McCrory.” I reply as I take him into my mouth. I think Jake is just as surprised as I am.

The way I feel when I’m with Jake like this has no words. There are no boundaries, just the two of us. As I take his length to the very back of my throat he groans appreciatively. I can tell that he is holding himself back to make these moments last but I can’t get enough of him. Never have I enjoyed giving this pleasure to a man more. As I worship him with my mouth and tongue I am rewarded with the most beautiful words entwined with the sexiest sounds I have ever heard. It is simply – beyond.
Jake pulls me up quickly by my shoulders and kisses me. He ravages my mouth deeply and passionately. I can now taste all of Jake on me and it’s divine. Jake ever so gently slips the bra straps from my shoulders and unhooks the clasp. Oh my! He grabs me tightly as he tumbles us onto the squeaky bed. The bed squeaks with every move and I begin to giggle. “Miss O’Rourke, there is a time and a place for your most adorable giggle but let me assure you that this will prove to be neither.” he growls at me and I am lost.

He caresses and kisses every exposed inch of my flesh. He makes his way down towards my sex and when he reaches my sweet spot I can hardly stand it. “Jake, please…” I plead to him. “Not just yet mo chroi, I want to make this last. Stoke your fires until you can hardly breathe.” Well two can play at that game sir. I return all of his movements and aggression with my own. My back arches towards him as if I can’t get close enough, can’t feel enough. I am writhing beneath his hands and lips. I don’t know how much longer I can last under this delicious torture. “Jake, I need to feel you now, please!” I beg. “Ok, my lovely, you’ve got me now” he says as he rises over me.

With his eyes never leaving mine Jake sinks into me every so slowly. Wow, this is heaven for sure. He takes his time stroking me inside and out, dragging out the pleasure for as long as he can. When I can’t stand it any longer, I rake my fingers over his back. “Faster, Jake, I need it faster” I breathe. I can hardly believe all of the sexy epithets coming from my own mouth. No one has ever made me feel like this. Jake articulates his response with actions not words and it’s not long before my body crashes into millions of pieces around him. “Yes, I feel you love” he whispers as he crashes into me in return.

Finally my breathing slows and I am purring and grinning like the Cheshire cat. I hear Jake’s soft muffled laugh and I am perplexed. “Oh, so in spite of everything I amuse you too.” I ask. Before I have time to get another word out, he puts his fingers to my lips and says “No, Bernadette O’Rourke, you amaze me.” He smoothes the wayward hair back from my face and kisses me softly. “I think I must have a good effect on you Bern, because I don’t think you have ever looked more beautiful to me.” He continues as he rubs his knuckles across my cheek. I flush at his words and reach out to bring him to me. I hold onto him like I never want to let go.

We stare at each other for what seems like an eternity. It’s one of those times when words are not necessary. Jake continues to caress me everywhere and it’s better than a hot stone massage. Jake flips over to his front side his hands never leaving my skin. I take the opportunity to give him a massage as well. I hop up and straddle his waist. I lightly run my hands over his back, down his arms and back up again before being to knead his shoulders. After awhile I need to touch him again and tail soft kisses behind my hands across his shoulders and neck. Jakes contented moans are all I need to start round two because I find myself desperate to feel him inside me once again. As has become his habit, he reads my mind and turns onto his back. Before I know it I am rising over him to settle back down so he can fill me once more.