Status: In progress

Back to the Beach

Chapter 8

The early morning sun is creeping through my window as I strain to awaken. I try not to disturb the beautiful man who is sharing my bed. I relish this quiet moment to study his face some more. He looks like a younger version of himself in his repose. The only masculine feature on his face right now is the scruff that has appeared this morning. I itch to feel that scruff over my skin so I reach across ever so quietly to caress his cheek. He stirs a little as he blinks back the sleep from his blue eyes, “Hmm, a lad could get used to this.” he croaks at me. “Well lad, I could say the same or that you’d be well spoiled with this before long.” He chuckles at my reply before he kisses me yet again.

As much as I would like nothing more than to stay wrapped up with Jake and laze the day away, I need to get moving. I have to make my way home today – dinner with the family will not wait, especially on Easter Sunday. I sigh deeply as I get out of bed and make my way to my tiny kitchen. Jake already has the kettle on. As he exits the bathroom he places a sweet kiss on my nose. I can hear him scrambling up the eggs as I begin to brush my teeth. I am a lucky lass to have stumbled upon this amazing man.

Once again we enjoy our meal outside, lounging in the sun lazily as we eat. The banter as always comes easy until Jake begins to broach more serious topics; namely my return to Rockaway and plans for the rest of the summer. Jake doesn’t seem satisfied with my “let’s see” approach. He knows that I am holding something back but I am not sure I am ready to explain just yet. I attempt to pacify him with a kiss but he is not so easily deterred. My but he is one stubborn Irishman. I can remember his Gran saying to mine that his very own Uncle was “thick as shite and twice as ugly.” While Jake might be thick he is not ugly by any means.

He cajoles me just a little; “C’mon Bern, do you think we will end up as a summer fling or maybe (he puts his hand over his heart as if his is wounded) we can be more than that?” I sigh again as I reply “Jake, there is nothing I’d like more than to spend all the seasons with you but to be honest I am hiding out down here.” “Hiding out? What exactly does that mean Bern?” he asks nervously. I give him the condensed version as I explain that I am trying to put Zach behind me once and for all. “The beach has always been my place of refuge and I was hoping to get him out of my system for good.” Just as I finish that last sentence I feel uneasy. I know this feeling – I can sense him before I see him. How is that possible? Zach has just shown up to bring me home.

When I finally see him the first thing that crosses my mind is “How dare you?!” but there is no time for that because he has already parked and is approaching the porch. “Hey Bern, I know where you’re at – Surprised?” he shouts at me as he makes his way over. Surprised doesn’t even begin to cover it. Jake already realizes who this is and I can tell that he is less than happy right now. I reach over for his hand and brush my fingers over his knuckles as I mouth the words “It’s OK, I’ve got this.” He nods and squeezes my hand in silent approval.

“Zach, what on -- how did you find me?” I bark at him. He is not fazed in the least by my tone. “Well Bern, as it turns out, all of those times when YOU thought I wasn’t listening I actually was.” I frown as he continues “I put the puzzle pieces together, figured out where you were, knew you wouldn’t miss Easter dinner, and here I am!” Boy, that’s a lot to digest.

“Well, I won’t say that I am not grateful to have a ride home instead of making the trek on the subway. Zach please meet Jake.” I conveniently leave out a title before Jake’s name because I am not exactly sure what Jake is to me just yet. We had been discussing that when Zach appeared. He has an uncanny ability to turn up at the worst times. Just then I can see Zach notice my hand in Jakes and I can see it bothers him. Good enough for ya! As they shake hands I pray quietly to myself that this doesn’t end up being a pissing contest. As they exchange cool pleasantries Zach takes a seat and helps himself to some toast.

“Bernadette, I love this place!” Zach exclaims “I hope you will show me some hospitality this summer.” Not on your life Zach! Jake bristles at his words and begins to clean up the breakfast dishes to distance himself. Once Jake is out of earshot I grab Zach’s hand. “I don’t quite know what you are up to Zach, but I can tell you with great certainty that this is the first and last time you will see any sort of hospitality from me this summer!” I hiss at him. “Well, we will just see about that Bernadette!” he says icily as he licks his lips. UGH! “Zach, you can wait here while I finish cleaning up and gather my things to take home – feel free to check out the beach as you probably won’t get another chance.” I say coldly as I make my way inside to Jake.

“Jake, - I don’t, - I’m sorry” – He quickly silences me with a kiss. I wrap my hands around his neck and pull him close to me. Tears prick behind my eyes because the last thing I want is to hurt Jake in any way. As my tears give way, Jake steps back. “Hush now mo chroi, tis nothing worth your tears.” He wipes them away with his thumbs and kisses me softly. “It’s just a lift home Bern.” He assures me. “You’ll be back for the weekend in a few days and we can finish our conversation then.” I have no words so I mewl. “OK, I’ll be back Friday.” “Of course you will- now go get your things – I’ll finish cleaning up and will lock up behind me. The sooner you’re gone, the sooner you’ll be on your way back to me love.” His words cause me to melt into his arms on the spot and whisper “You’re too good to be true, Mr. McCrory.” He smiles at me and places a chaste kiss against my lips before pressing his against my forehead.

When I finally pull myself from the embrace, I gather up my few laundry items to take home and shove them into my bag. I can hardly bear saying goodbye to Jake. I stall myself as I make my way to the kitchen, trying to convince myself that it’s just five days until we’re reunited once again. As I enter my tiny kitchen, Jake's eyes meet mine and I lose it. “Jake, the past week has been, well amazing. I am at a loss for words at the moment so I’ll just say bye for now.” I ramble on before he pulls me into his arms and nuzzles my hair. “Tis only five days love, and then you’ll be in my arms again. Now go, I’ll finish up here.” He says softly, ending with a kiss against my hair. I look up at him and he brings his lips down to mine, kissing me deeply. As I tear myself away from him I don’t know I’m going to get through the ride home, let alone the whole week. Touching the ends of his fingertips, the door closes behind me.