Status: In progress

Back to the Beach

Chapter 9

Zach is waiting for me at the car, looking smug with his thumbs in his belt loops. “Bern, the beach is fantastic! I didn’t know you could actually surf down here.” He says to distract me from my thoughts of Jake. “I’m glad you’re impressed Zach, now please just take me home.” I mutter at him. I throw my bag into the back and get in the car, sitting as close to the window as possible in an effort to distance myself from Zach. He seems amused by me and I’m getting angrier by the minute as he gets in the car and begins to pull away from my little haven, away from Jake.

“Yo Bern, where you at?” he says as we drive towards Beach 94th street to make our way to the bridge, “You seem very far away.” I roll my eyes. Seriously? He’s going there? I think to myself. “Very observant Zach, I intend on being very far away for a very long time so get used to it.” I snap at him. He smirks and reaches for the radio, turning it on. “They say music calms the savage beast.” He says smugly. I am SO not in the mood for his games. The radio is a welcome distraction as we reach the first toll. I fish around in my purse to cover it. I don’t want Zach to feel like he is doing me any special favors. “Relax Bern, I’ve got it.” He says. “Ok. But I’ll get the next one.” I replied before handing him $10. After passing the toll, we return to the awkward silence that had filled the car, with the sounds of the radio filling the void where conversation would normally take place.

As we drove, the silence between us is overwhelming even with the radio playing so I ask how his family is to break the ice. Thankfully we are able to chat about mundane issues. At the very least it will make the ride go faster. We continue to amicably catch up on each other’s lives while we drive towards home. Then that damn song comes on the radio. I quickly reach to change the station, but Zach catches my hand. “Don’t Bern, that’s our song.” He chastises me. “Well, I’m not in the mood to hear it Zach.” I replied. He still has a hold of my hand and it’s beginning to make me uneasy as the song continues to play. Steve Tyler’s voice is echoing through the car… I just wanna stay with you in this moment forever, and ever and ever. Zach strokes my hand as he begins to softly sing along with the band. As the song ends, we are stopped at a red light; he reaches for my face so I can look at him. I don’t have the will to fight and suddenly I am staring into the eyes of my first love; the same chocolate brown eyes that looked me in the eyes and broke my heart.

All of my emotions come crashing back to me and my breath hitches. Zach reads me well and leans in to kiss me. I don’t have time to react so it just happens. He feels so familiar – like coming home. How apropos! But then I am reminded of Jake and I pull away quickly as the light turns green – thank God! “That was sweet Bernadette, I knew I missed kissing you.” He says ever so sweetly, almost too sweetly and it makes my stomach turn. “Who are you, and what have you done with the real Zach?” I ask quizzically. “This is the new and improved Zach 2.0, don’t you like him?” he teases. “I don’t know yet. I’ll have to get back to you on that one.” I reply and I realize he’s still holding my hand so I gently pull away and place my hands in my lap.

Our carefree chatting continues the rest of the way home, that brief moment forgotten. I tell him about my students as he tells me about his clients. My third graders sound much easier to handle than his well-to-do customers. The more I discuss teaching, the more interested he seems. “Hearing you talking about school and your kids reminds me of my Mom.” He says quietly. Zach was always his Mom’s favorite child; it nearly destroyed him when she moved away. I can still see the hurt in his eyes; he misses her. I quickly change the subject and ask about his little brother. Little Man, as we always called him, is headed into high school, preparing to take on advanced courses as a freshman. Zach is so proud of him that the light is back in his eyes.

We finally arrive at my Grandma’s and the relief washes over me like a wave. I made it through without killing him or actually arguing – it’s practically a miracle. “Oh am I in luck! Here’s a spot right in front!” Zach says. “Um, why do you need to park Zach?” I ask. “Because, I’m coming to dinner Bern.” The day just keeps getting worse! Zach gathers a few items from the trunk and we make our way upstairs. I’m so not ready to face my family and definitely not ready to face them with Zach! When I find out who invited him, there will be hell to pay!

We arrive at my Grandma’s door and before going in, I warn Zach. “No nonsense in front of my family, please?” He gives me a smirk along with a quick kiss on the cheek. “No promises where you’re concerned Bern; I’m just going with my feelings now.” Is he kidding me! The door opens and Zach already has his arm about my waist. Such a public display, especially in front of my family is not like him at all. What am I going to do about Zach 2.0? Well, it’s only a family dinner; my family, my territory so I should be fine. I’m just going to go with it and get through the day.