Status: In progress but looking for feedback. The Prologue has been trimmed! More chapters coming soon :)

Always Anyways...

A Trip to the Markets

After the disastrous feast, there was a certain fire missing from my eyes. I believe my Lady Ruth could see it, which was why she chose me for on a task at the nearby harbour market. I was to procure her a certain type of silk from a particular orient merchant who came but once a moon. I was thrilled at the prospect of a day of riding free and in the open day's air. It was something I often did at my nobleman's manor to pass the time. In fact, riding was one of the few things that could clear my mind, and bring a fresh perspective on the day.

With Lord Tiernan's return to the castle, I found the air to be very stifling. After the feast, I found the halls no longer as welcoming as I did before. Were it not for my Lady Ruth, I would have begged to be dismissed and consented to my father placing me in a quiet existence of solitude anywhere he choose, even if that meant a nunnery. Even if that meant never again having a hope of a genuine and true love again, no matter how simple life might have been.

Dressed in my usual black satin and the sash of my Lady's colours, I left with her change purse. But before I did, she stopped me. "Lady Snow Fox, please...I would prefer that you wear one of my cloaks. In fact, I insist." She said and motioned for another one of the ladies-in-waiting to hand me one. I nodded to her, "As you wish my Lady," and I promptly changed her cloak to around my shoulders. "I have also arranged for two of the guards to escort you. They should be waiting for you in the stables." I nodded to my Lady and she smiled softly, "Have a good and safe trip." I smiled back to her and next found myself in the stables.

The groom was preparing my horse, and I saw the two guards waiting impatiently for me to mount. However before we could leave, the captain of the guard came striding in to the stables. Pointing to the first guard, he barked, "You....you're on wall duty" then he pointed to the second, "And you, you've be assigned to the armoury." Both guards just smirked and were more then happy to dismount. At first, my voice faltered, but I knew my father would not stand for me being unescorted into a market. "Captain...these men are to escort me for a duty of my Lady." He turned and looked at me with black cold eyes, "Oh you," he smirked, and I had a feeling that Lord Tiernan was all too aware of my duties today. The horse beneath me danced with my displeasure, "I am a Lady of this Land and a daughter to the King. Shall I speak with Lady Ruth on this issue? She arranged this herself." He snorted, not wanting too much trouble, "Fine...you go with the girl. Try to make it back in one piece." The captain snickered before walking out. The one guard who was assigned my protection, unhappily remounted his horse, while the other guard strode out with pleasure. There was an unmistakable chill down my spine from the Captain's words. But I was determined not to disappoint my Lady.

I rode out with the one guard at my side and as the sun hit my face, I pushed my horse to his full speed. First because I was an excellent rider and I enjoyed the challenge of riding such a way. Aalso to offer a little protection to myself. Yet perhaps, in the less respectful part of my heart, I did it to give my unwilling guard a hard day's ride.

The market went smoothly, and I was able to procure exactly what my Lady Ruth wanted. I knew she would be both excited and very pleased. The trip was further then expected, and the day had turned to afternoon. With the hard pace of my horse, I could tell he was tired. We stopped at a well known way-station to properly water the horses and have them rubbed down. It was a busy place and there were all sorts of people taking rest and refuge at this station. I dismounted and passed my horse to a stable hand so that he could be cared for. However my guard, dismounted and immediately found a large cup of ale in his hand. I was not pleased with this notion, but I said nothing. I remained near my horse, just waiting quietly in the coolness of the afternoon shade. But a flash of colours caught my eye while at the same time they seized my heart. There were four knights from my former King, their armour shining and their cloaks unmistakable. I quickly pulled up my hood and lowered my eyes, praying that I would go unnoticed. The knights sat down and also found cups of ale in their hands. With the busyness of the location, it took long for my horse to be handled. Too long in fact because my former King's knights found their way over to the guard who was to be assigned to protect me. I watched as they bantered but nothing more. I was relieved at that.

Finally my horse was ready, and I clung to his reins as the stable hand informed my guard as well. The guard tossed back the rest of his ale before striding over to our horses. However eyes followed him, and my former King's knights saw him return to my side. It was at that point they stood up and made their way. I was frozen with fear when eyeing me curiously, they said to my guard, "Who are you escorting today? A nun?" It was the first time I cursed my black gown, for it did, in fact, stand out noticeably. My guard, a little tipsy from the ale laughed, "Hardly! That is supposed to be a Lady." The knights walked past him and came up toward me, "Good Day Lady." One of them reached up and pulled down my hood before I could duck, "Or should we say our Queen?" I knew they would immediately recognize me and they mockingly bowed before me. But I did not return the gesture, "Let me be on my way good knights," I said before biting my lip. One knight laughed, "Look! Ever the Queen she is! But now she is nothing more then a common whore." I heard my guard laugh along with them, and my face burned with embarrassment.

The way-station however was noticing that something was happening and many eyes were upon us. "Let me be on my way in peace," I said again as my guard remained mounted and silent. One of the knights pulled out his sword and lifted up the edge of my gown, "I remember when you dressed in much different colours. Do you fancy yourself a widow now?? Because as I recall my King is very much alive, when in fact it should have been you who were hung for your treachery." I pulled my skirts back and they easily tore along such a sharp blade, "Leave me be, my King allowed me to return home in peace. Do you go against the word of your King now??" The knight smirked, "My king is not here and perhaps I would be rewarded for such a service," he said taking a step toward me. I reacted and from inside my cloak, I pulled my dagger, "Do not come any closer to me!" I called loudly. He batted away my dagger, but from nowhere, the stable hand came charging forward and shoved back the knight, "Leave her be and let her be on her way!!" The young boy stood in front of my protectively. I heard someone else call from the crowd of people watching, "She is a Lady...put away your swords!" My guard, just smirked and said nothing. The stable hand picked up my dagger, handing it back to me, "Be on your way my Lady, and ride fast. For their horses are not ready." I smiled gratefully at the boy and nodded, as he lifted my foot and put me quickly on my horse. Without even looking back for my guard, I kicked my horse hard and rode through the trees, back to the main road. I could feel my horse breathing heavy as I pushed him to the limits of his speed. But when we finally flew through Lord Tiernan's gates unharmed, I was never so relieved.

Stopping at the stables, I begged the groom to give extra care to my horse, for he was now drenched in sweat. He was a little surprised to see my horse in such a state, but nodded obediently. My guard was a few moments after me and when he dismounted, he was a little out of breath. "That was some ride 'my lady'. Is that how you always are?" He mocked me with such a sickening smile. I stormed up to him and smacked him hard in the face, "I will tell my Lady of your disservice and I will see you punished for it." He took the strike and laughed in my face as I strode back inside the castle. But I did not even make it to the second floor before I crumbled in the stairwell in tears.