Status: In progress but looking for feedback. The Prologue has been trimmed! More chapters coming soon :)

Always Anyways...

The Prince's Arrival

It was a few days later that my brother came riding into the castle of Lord Tiernan. We were feasting in court and a messenger quietly walked up to my Lord to whisper in his ear. I knew something was important because it was rare that Lord Tiernan would be interrupted while eating dinner. I saw him wave dismissively as he just kept eating. Lady Ruth looked down at me with a smile so I took a sip of my wine while I waited to see what would happen. Only a few minutes later, the banquet hall doors opened, and in front, strode in both a knight and a prince of only the highest caliber. In he strode with shining armour of the best quality, a long sword made of the finest steel, and the colours of the King, my father, swept around his shoulders. Behind him, he was escorted by four knights who seemed like pale stars, mere squires in my brother's presence.

Lord Tiernan barely looked up as my brother the Prince, with the unmistakable crown on his head, bowed before him, "Evening greetings Lord Tiernan. I apologize for my late hour, but I was riding all day." Lord Tiernan swallowed his meat before wiping his mouth. "Greetings Prince Nicolous. To what do I owe such a honoured visit from the royal family?" My brother smiled sweetly at me before looking back at him, "I had hopes of visiting with my long missed sister, for she is quite beloved to me and I wished a few days of time with her before I was sent off on an royal errand for my Father the King" I could tell Lord Tiernan was not pleased with this request, but did not dare refuse it. "As you wish of course, my Prince. I believe you will find that your sister has been given the most respectful and considerate care in my castle." Nicolous tilted his head, as his hand rested on the hilt of his blade. His smirk contradicted his words, "I am sure she has, but I have come to see for myself regardless. She is a most precious daughter to my father and Princess to the realm." Lord Tiernan smirked back, "Why of course. Enjoy your time with your sister, and please find an honoured seat at my table. See that only the best meat and ale are brought to the Prince." He waved to the servants before immediately going back to stabbing his knife into the fowl on his plate.

The smile on my face could not have been larger, for Nicolito and I have a most special bond. Before sitting down at a seat that was far from an honoured place, he waved to me, and I immediately sprang to my feet. I rushed around the long banquet table and threw myself into his awaiting arms. "My dearest Janie" he whispered in my ear, kissing my cheek softly. "Nicolito" I whispered back, "How I have missed you!" He hugged me tight before he swung me around a little and set me back to my feet. The entire court watched our reunion and the point was well made. I was not a disgraced outcast from my father's castle, but well loved. Most importantly the point was made right in front of Lord Tiernan. My brother, ever the type to drive home a point, motioned to the servants, "We will take our evening meal in the Princess' chambers. See that it is all brought in with plenty of her favorite wine." With his hand tenderly holding mine, we walked out of the banquet hall and up to my chamber. At the last moment, I snuck a look back at Lord Tiernan and his eyes were a fire, as he slammed down his cup of ale. "He will be so angry with you Nicolito" I whispered in the hallway. He slid his arm around my waist, and squeezed me tightly against his side, "And let him....he is a brute. And little birds have been watching you and I do not like what they have been telling me of late."

Once we were inside my chamber, I spun around and took both of his hands, "You have spies in this castle?" He chuckles, "Only in the castle? Why they follow your every move!" He shakes his head like I should have known better. I smiled gratefully back at him, "Oh brother....you know I do not deserve that." He tilts his head, "Don't you?? You are a damned Princess of this land. A Queen once, and will be a Queen again. This is just a place to keep you safe and out of the eyes of others who would wish you harm. Tiernan is known for being merciless. Who better to see you safe?" I sat down at the fire, "Father said I needed to come here and redeem my honour, to prove myself once again." Nicolous sat down with me, "To future Kings, not to him. Father has always loved you, faults and all. Your King quickly showed how unworthy of you he was, but the deal had been struck. As for that little....peasant...I will be sure he never puts a finger on you again." I hung my head sadly, "But he loved me Nicolito....he did. He loved me so dearly." He sighs, "I cannot speak to that, for only you know your own heart, but how he was at the end will never be worthy of a Queen like you. He reached beyond his station and now he has fallen. I will be sure he stays down, far below, as he deserves." I just nodded, still saddened that my once beloved Lord has been so corrupted and reduced to a peasant in my brother's eyes.

We ate and drank together and it was a wonderful time. My head rested in his lap at the fires, as he gently rubbed my hair and told me of foolish gossip from my father's court. Those were my last memories, before I have the vague recollection of being carried to my bed and kissed on the forehead. "Sleep well tonight my sweet Janie..." were whispered to me. I smiled and felt at home for the first time in a long time.