Status: In progress but looking for feedback. The Prologue has been trimmed! More chapters coming soon :)

Always Anyways...

My Day with Nicolito

The following morning I was awoken to maids bringing in large trays of food and my brother throwing back the curtains of my bed, "Janie! Little Janie! Wake up!" I giggled and he tossed himself on my bed, "Come little sister, we have a wide day ahead of us. We must make use of it!" I rolled over and put my head in his lap, "But I have responsibilities. I have duties for my Lady." Nicolito shook his head, "Today to have been given the honourable responsibility of showing the noble and most handsome Prince of the realms around your wonderful lands." I giggle and felt like a little girl again. "But Nicolito, you have been to these lands dozens of times!" He leaned over and rubbed his nose against mine, "And now it will be a dozen and one."

He kissed my nose before reaching over for a strawberry. "Besides, I cleared it with the Lord the very first thing this morning. He did not dare refuse me after our little private chat." I sat up at that point. "Brother, what did you say?" I asked with worry in my voice. Nicolous shrugged his shoulders in a very nonchalant way. "Oh nothing...just reminded him of the promise he made to Father and that he was paid handsomely for it." My eyes widened with shocked, "Paid for?" He nodded, "Lord Tiernan was paid in troops and supplies to take on the responsibility of looking after the youngest Princess of the realms. You do not think Father just sent you here like some lost lamb do you?" I just shook my head, "Father never told me." Nicolous made a face, "Well he should have. Lord Tiernan was paid well and that nonsense I heard about at the way-station was rubbage. My men nearly blew their cover to protect you. But I was told you did well for yourself." I shook my head and looked down, "Hardly. My guard did nothing and I could barely keep them at bay. I was lucky the stable hand was brave enough to step in." My brother smiled, "And he was paid well for protecting the Princess of the realms and he was even more honoured to have done so. So much so that he asked for work at the king's stables. I have him brought along." I smiled widely, "You did?" Nicolous nodded, "Yes I did, and in gold." I nodded, "Then I am glad."

Next my brother leaned in, "And the guard? It seems he insulted one of my men last night in a tavern and found a sword embedded in his stomach." I gasped, "No, you didn't!" My brother shrugged innocently, "Accidents happen when you have a big mouth. It is none of your concern." I reached across and took his hand, "But Nicolito. He may not be able to touch me, but he will punish my Lady." He stopped me, "Who? What Lady?" I shifted closer, "Lady Ruth. His wife! You should see the cruelty she endures each time he visits her bed chambers. Bruises and bleeding. It is terrible to watch." My brother frowned for the first time that morning. "I am sorry to hear that. Right now you are my first and only concern. I always heard that Tiernan was....well shall we say....rough. But I did not think it to such a level with his wife. No wonder he has no heir. He has probably beaten it out of her womb several times." I buried my face in his arm, "Please do not speak of such horrors!" Nicolous rubbed my head. "Shh Shh Janie. I am sorry. I do not mean to upset you on our special day. There may be a day that I can do something to free your Lady Ruth from Lord Tiernan. Or at the very least, give her times of peace. But for now, I cannot. I know you will find ways to make her days easier and kinder. I have heard she has a strong fondness for you and spoke on your behalf several times." I nodded against his arm, "Yes. It is true! I would wish her pain away myself if I could!" Nicolous leaned down and kissed my head, "My little sister. You have always been too kind of heart to be a royal."

He cuddled me as we ate breakfast before a vigorous day of riding with a picnic in the afternoon sun, far away from the castle. As we laid there together in the grasses, my brother fingered my gown, "When will you no longer wear the black of mourning?" I turned my head toward him, "When I am no longer mourning my shattered and abused heart." He nodded and looked back up to the sky, "I hope that day comes soon."