Status: In progress but looking for feedback. The Prologue has been trimmed! More chapters coming soon :)

Always Anyways...

The Frankish Prince

The castle has been abuzz for the past few days of the arrival of a noble Prince. A prince coming to make an important alliance and set trade terms with my Lord Tiernan. Tirelessly, I served my Lady to see that all was prepared to her exact specifications. However the morning of his arrival, there was a messenger from the King at my chamber door, "The Lord requires you to dress in your finest gown, and be crowned at the right side of his Lady." I answered with only a nod, but I was surprised. I did not even know the name of this noble Prince so I could not imagine I was anything more then a show piece for my Lord. But I am humble enough to play my part. Once my Lady was dressed in her finest gown, I hurried to find myself prepared in time to be at her side. I nearly did not make it, and the scowl was clear on my Lord's face, "Do you have no other dress Lady Jane?" I shook my head because it seemed he disapproved more of the black colour then the dress itself. It was a fine dress of only the best material, and I was prepared in everywhere a Princess so there was little more he could complain for.

The Prince's carriage was quite luxurious. And when he stepped out it was obvious that he came from a very wealthy family. However as the Prince greeted my Lord in heavily accented English, (and I dare say a bit halted), there was clearly going to be a language barrier. A well dressed servant stood at his right, and it seemed had the purpose of serving as an interpreter. It was the servant who offered proper introduction of Heir to the Frankish Throne, Prince Louis the IV, of the House Le Mans.

However, as a royal daughter with only the best education, I happen to be fluent in his style of Frankish. My Lord attempted to greet him in return, and introduce his lady and then myself as Princess. It was at that time that I took the opportunity afforded me, and spoke to him in perfectly spoken Frankish. Of course I introduced myself as Princess Jane of the King's House of Snow Fox, and then introduced the Lord Tiernan and Lady Ruth of the noble House of Wyvern, to which I informed him I was their most welcomed guest in their court. A wide smile came over his face as he rushed to greet me in the Frankish way, a kiss on either cheek. He took me on his arm as he greeted the Lord and Lady. Lord Tiernan quickly grumbled in my ear, "See that he wants for nothing and is made happy in every way possible." I nodded respectfully and I ushered him into the awaiting feast.

I was to be sat at my Lady's right side, yet instead I was sat at a much more honourable position, to the left of the Prince. It was throughout the feast that I became the Prince's personal translator. This allowed a most healthy conversation to partake between Lord Tiernan and the Prince which seemed to please them both. Then in honour of the Frankish Prince, music of his lands began to play. He quickly turned to me. "Oh my favorite! Do tell me Princess that you would honour me at my side." I took his hand and smiled graciously, "But of course," I answered proudly. Together him and I dance a traditional Frankish gaillarde. It was not long before the court joined us and the night carried on in such fashion.

The feast was long and when I finally could retire to my chamber, I could think of nothing but sleep. I had high hopes that Lord Tiernan would be pleased with the night and perhaps think upon me more favourably in the future. But just as I was removing my crown, there was a knock at my door. It was a Frankish servant, who smiled politely, "Princess, the Prince Louis requests you to his chamber immediately." I feared something was not to his liking, so I quickly followed. The servant opened the door for me, but then closed it behind me immediately. "My Prince?" I called out and I saw him seated at the fire with a glass of our best wine. Everything seemed well in place, so I was a little confused. He turned to smile at me and I bowed in return. "What can I do to see that you are comfortable tonight my Prince?"

He stood up and approached me, not wanting to be rude, I did not step back when he came close enough to take my hand, "You are indeed a gorgeous creature." I smiled politely, "You are most kind my Prince." He sipped at the wine with his other hand, "I crave to see your ivory skin." Before I could speak otherwise, he released my hand, "Remove your dress and join me at the fires." I blinked stunned at his request, "My Prince, I believe you are mistaken." He turned back, "Mistaken?? I believe not! You are to see I am cared for in all ways possible are you not?" I nodded in return, but before I could protest more, he continued, "It would most certainly please me to share my bed with you this night." He walked over and offered out a cup of wine to me. This time I stepped back, "My Prince, I must politely refuse. I am a Princess of these Lands, the King's daughter." He nodded still holding out the cup of wine to me, "And I am a Prince of my Lands, a King's son. It is a perfect match." His smile unnerved me and I refused to be used in such a way, even at the expense of angering my Lord. "Prince Louis, with all the honour and respect, I must refuse." His smile faded and he put down the cup of wine, "Then see that another one is sent to please me. A lady....of noble birth. Preferably with a beautiful face." I looked down at the floor because there were no courtesan's in this court, and I would not ask one of the other Ladies-in-waiting for such a dishonourable request. He tsk'ed at me, "Go then dear Lady...see that I am happy tonight. For I am sure with the trade I will give your Lord, he will see I have whatever Lady is of my choosing" He waved his hand dismissively and I hurried out the door before my choice was taken from me.

I went to the only place I knew to go, and that was the chamber of my Lady. I whispered quietly to her of the Prince's request and blinked back sadly into her eyes. For if my Lady sent me back to the Prince, I could not refuse her, despite how it would shatter my heart even further. Lady Ruth rubbed her face, "I knew this would be nothing but trouble. His bedchamber will stay empty tonight. My Lady's are not to be used in such a way. I refuse it." I shook my head, "But my Lady, if our Lord is angered, he will see anyone the Prince wishes is delivered. If the Lord does not know already." Lady Ruth looked toward the fire. "It will be a long night indeed," She murmured.