Status: In progress but looking for feedback. The Prologue has been trimmed! More chapters coming soon :)

Always Anyways...

The Frankish Prince...continued

My Lady Ruth had a plan, and it was to hide away all her Ladies in a small sideroom of her bedchamber. It was not a perfect plan, but the Prince nor my Lord's knights would dare enter her bedchamber without complete permission of the the Lord. And I prayed that it would not come to that. Lady Ruth sent me to gather all the Ladies-in-waiting, which I did with utmost stealth and haste. I found all but one, for her bed chamber was empty at such a late hour. When I returned with the other 4, Lady Ruth inquired about Lady Desiree. "I could not find her my Lady, her bedchamber was empty." I responded simply.

Lady Ruth looked back at the others, "Where else could she be?? One of you must know!" Lady Myrna lowered her eyes, "She has caught the eye of one of the Captains of the Guard. And visits him often my Lady." Lady Ruth made a disapproving face, "This should have been spoken of with me." Lady Myrna nods obediently, "It was not my place to speak of it my Lady." Lady Ruth just nodded then explained what was transpiring tonight, "My hope is that Lady Desiree is safe with her Captain. All of you, into the side room. Try to get some sleep. If there are any knocks at my door, it is imperative that you are absolutely silent. I will handle the guards or the Lord." We all nodded and curled up together inside the small room. Personally, I could not sleep for this night reminded me of many other nights when battles raged near the castle, and my family would be hidden away for our safety. I feared being snatched in the night, or something far worse. I am lucky to say that my Father's army have always stood strong and our castle has never been breached.

It was a long night, but it was a quiet night. There were no knocks of any kind and my Lady Ruth managed to get about 4 hours of sleep when I last checked on her. As the sun finally rose, I rousted all of the ladies-in-waiting to send them about their usual chores, as I did with mine. However Lady Desiree was oddly missing until nearly breakfast. I knew it would be then I would have to face Prince Louis and I was still unsure what had been said to my Lord. But as always, together we walked in behind my Lady Ruth and took our usual places at the feasting table. Prince Louis was seated at the side of our Lord with a wide smile. He chatted cheerful, using his own personal interpreter this time. While I was completely ignored, I most certainly noticed glances exchanged between Lady Desiree and the Prince. It made my stomach turn and I lost my appetite for anything more then my poached quail egg. After breakfast, it was Lady Desiree who was invited to join the Prince on a ride of the countryside with Lord Tiernan and Lady Ruth. It was very clear what had transpired last night, and it was obvious that I had once again fallen from grace and would see nothing but disfavour from my Lord. I looked down quietly at my black satin and refused to feel guilty for keeping my honour. Even in the service to my Lord.

Before they left for their countryside ride, I was called into the private chambers of my Lord. He stood at the fires and turned to me angrily, "You refused the Frankish Prince??" He said most bold. I looked back at him directly, "I did." He took a most menacing step toward me, "Refused him?? After I told you to see he wanted for nothing?!" I continued to blink back directly, "I did." He reached out and slapped my face, far harder then a woman should ever be struck. I nearly doubled over, but forced myself to stay on my feet as I cradled my face. I glared back at him with sheer hatred, "I am Princess of these lands. I serve my father, not you. I will not be used as a courtesan to secure you better alliances. If I am ever asked such a request, ever demanded, or worse, have it forced upon me, my father the King will be made aware of your actions. And I can certainly promise you that him, along with my brothers, will seek retribution from you personally." I think he was stunned by my strong response as I continued. "I will do my Lord the courtesy of forgetting this strike, for it alone would find you in disfavour. This will also be the last." He leaned forward, "You are lucky you did not cause a war. Get out of my sight, you cursed witch!!" I spun immediately, with my skirts swirling and marched out of his chamber without the respect of a bow.