Status: In progress but looking for feedback. The Prologue has been trimmed! More chapters coming soon :)

Always Anyways...

A dark ride

I was at the window that day, watching as Lady Desiree rode out with the Frankish Prince, escorted by my Lord and Lady. That day my chores were to oversee the weekly polishing of my Lady's jewels as well as the tailors mending any small repairs in all my Lady's dresses. I made sure they did not miss a single fallen stitch as I felt my face burn from the strike of my Lord. That night I was exhausted and asked to be excused from the feast a little early. Knowing they were all inside, despite my body's ache, I wanted only one thing. My feet found me at the stables, and the small stable hand jumped up. "How can I service you my Lady??" He said one step from sleep. "Bring out the white mare with the black feet, I am going for a ride. No saddle." He tilted his head and put his fingers into his ears and wiggled them around. "A ride my Lady? In the night?" I nodded to him simply, "And no saddle, just bridle." He stuck his fingers in his ear again, "No saddle? But how will you ride." I sighed a little at the young boy, "Just get the horse," I asked, "and a step stool." He heard my commanding tone start to edge in and quickly headed out.

As I stood and waited, I heard footsteps coming down one of the stalls. I turned slowly knowing the boy had gone the other way. One of the horse farriers was coming toward me with his trademark heavy leather apron on. "Good Evening my Lady" He nodded to me respectfully. I bowed back slightly. I did not recognize him yet there was something in the way he greeted me that made me keep his eye. His walk was familiar and when he stopped in front of me, he bowed in return, "Or should I say my Princess." Now I knew why he struck me so! I was nearly sure this was one of my brother's most capable spies. I smiled at him softly when he referred to me that way. "Not many use that title here." He smiled back gently, "Then they are fools for I...." When his sentence stopped so quickly, I saw the smile on his face fade suddenly too. He actually reached out and cupped my chin quickly, but with the utmost softness. "Your face...step into the light." I tried to turn away from him because I knew what he saw. But with one arm around my waist, he stepped forward like a swordsman would, and used his body weight to move me into the flame's direct light. The bruise on my cheek was clear.

Our closeness made me shiver as he looked directly into my eyes and released my cheek. Before he spoke, he pulled out a silver medallion. Stamped on it was the royal seal, matching the jeweled necklace my brother had given me on his visit. "Who gave you this mark my Princess. Speak the name." I bit my lip and he tucked the medallion back away, "Do not be afraid, for you know the reason I am here. Speak his name." I swallowed, "Lord Tiernan," I whispered back. His eyes narrowed a little, "And the reason?" I looked down slowly, but I knew the stable boy would be back soon. "I displeased him." I knew that was not the answer this knight wanted to hear, "Displeased him how?" His voice was very low and threatening, but I knew the threats were not in my direction. "I would not...." I paused and I could feel the knight ready to spring. He tensed against me as I continued, "...I would not give myself to Prince Louis." The knight's hand shifted to where a sword normally would be, but that side of his hip was empty now. "Give yourself....in his bed chamber??" I nodded embarrassed to be speaking of such improper things before a knight I barely knew. "Did that bastard take you against your will?" I quickly shook my head. "Did Lord Tiernan force himself on you?" I shook my head again, "He was most disagreeable with me for my refusal." The knight just nodded, "That is plain to see, and it will not please MY Prince to hear of it." I placed my hand on his chest, "Please, do not tell Nicolous!" The knight shook his head, "I cannot ignore this, my job here is clear. But I will mention that you did not wish the Prince to know."

A door opened and suddenly there were boot steps of a most commanding nature. The knight put his arm around me and pulled me into an empty stable. Putting his fingers to my lips, I listened as the Horse Marshal called out for someone. "Do not move," He whispered in my ear and slipped back out of the stall. "Yes Marshal?" He said simply. "Where is that blasted boy?? Off sleeping again??" The 'farrier' disagreed, "Oh no sire, he is fixing some bridles for me." The Marshal must have been pleased with that answer because he stepped around a little more, "Make sure the Prince's horses receive only the best hay, he will be staying 2 more days." The 'farrier' nodded, "Of course sire." and the boot steps faded away. I saw the stall door open, and he reached out his hand for me, "I do not wish you to go riding tonight my Princess, for the guard of these walls are not loyal to you." I took his hand and stepped out, "I am a good rider, I can handle myself." He sighed deeply as the stable boy came walking down with the horse. He looked back at me, "I will not stop you, but promise that you will not go far." I agreed so he checked over the horse himself, before putting his hands out for me to mount. "A safe ride, my Lady" he said before nodding at me. I nodded back and headed out into the dark night. I cannot be certain, but there was a time I swore I saw a figure on horseback in the horizon. But the light was so dim, there could be just tricks in my eyes. I returned home, safely but no less tired.