Status: In progress but looking for feedback. The Prologue has been trimmed! More chapters coming soon :)

Always Anyways...

The Frankish Prince departs

The next few days were torturous. As the Prince was wined and dined in Lord Tiernan's best fashion, with Lady Desiree attending to all Prince Louis' needs, It was clear I was so very much in disfavor. Each day Lady Desiree would be at his side amusing him, and I am certain each night she found herself staying in his bed chamber. Each day it made the work for the remaining Ladies-in-waiting that much harder and longer. Pleasing a Prince is no easy task and arranging rousing feasts each night added to the regular daily work load. The rest of the visit, I was utterly ignored. It was Lady Desiree who danced each gaillarde and many other dances, that I am much better trained for. I never did translate again, even when I heard his servant misspeak, I did not attempt to correct the mistakes. Everyone would dance, and I alone would be sitting at the feasting table. I felt my heart grow darker and darker each day. I could not wait for this all to be over.

Two days later I got my wish, as Lady Desiree was selected to accompany Prince Louis back to the Frankish lands for a visit and an awaiting place in his court. No doubt that also entitled her to a place in his bed, but that would be crude for me to speak out loud. I was so glad to see them go, but my Lady Ruth was not. As Lady Ruth was dressed the morning of their departure, she was in a sour mood. "She was never good...my husband's cousin. Always looking to gain rank for herself. I would have never chosen her, but unfortunately the choices have never been mine." I cannot deny that it made me feel ever more the burden to her, for I too was forced upon her. I lowered my eyes and said nothing all morning.

We were all forced to stand watching as Lady Desiree, led on the Frankish Prince's arm, was loaded into his gilded carriage with the utmost care. But in my heart, I knew what would become of her. Her charms and beauty will fade with time. Soon another would take her place and she would be so very far from home. I have seen it many times, and I suppose in a way, I was a victim of the same. A mere passing amusement, and easy target in my gilded cage. I felt ever more darkness creep in my heart. I did not even lift my eyes as the carriage pulled away. Lord Tiernan barked orders to his knights before gruffly heading inside with haste. My Lady Ruth just shook her head and returned inside for a day of reading the bible.

The words of the bible did not reach my ears that day as my mind and my thoughts were so very far away. I felt the pieces of my heart digging against my chest as my thoughts went places they should not have gone. Places deep and dark that have no solace or kindness to offer. I felt the ache of losing My Lord's love all over again. The delicate pieces of my heart, that has only just begun to repair, were shattered once again. As I clutched my chest that night in my bed, I begged for peace. I begged against in the darkness to be released from such torture. Yet I fear my father's words will always be true and I will linger endlessly in darkness. I felt the old demons resurface in my mind, both the gentleness of My Lord's love, and the sheer destruction he reigned upon me. I was a mere rabbit torn to pieces by a rabid wolf.

I tossed and turned in my bed before I finally collapsed in sleep. I remember, so I am indeed bound to my grief.