Status: In progress but looking for feedback. The Prologue has been trimmed! More chapters coming soon :)

Always Anyways...

Saving my Lady

My Lady Ruth has been in the most sour mood since Lady Desiree left with the Frankish Prince. She is not happy that the choice was not hers to make, and how her husband's cousin was given such a high potential for a match in such a low way. It is clear that Lord Tiernan has no issue with it because he is happy with his newly minted trade alliance across the seas. There was an evening dinner where the two of them argued about it, which is unlike my Lady to be in such low spirits. The conversation was ended with Lord Tiernan throwing his cup of wine across the table as his wife. It was clear that he was finished with this conversation permanently. There was wine everywhere and the servants rushed to see it cleaned up as it got all over the food and even our gowns. Lady Ruth left the table in a huff and Lord Tiernan jumped to his feet, "Be lucky that witch of yours did not curse the entire deal or someone would have paid dearly!!!" It was clear Lord Tiernan was speaking of me but I kept my head down and followed my lady to her chamber. She wanted nothing and nothing appeased her foul mood. We saw her changed into a fresh night gown and she forced all of us out of her chamber.

However that night, from a deep and dark sleep I heard a sound that awoke me in an instant. I bolted in bed and heard it again. It was the clear sound of a whipping followed by the screams of my Lady. I was possessed and leapt from my bed, rushing down the hallway with such furry. The guards in front of my Lady's door stood in my way, "Let me pass!!" I demanded of them. One looked down and actually snickered at me, "No witch." Again, I heard the crack of a whip and the scream of my Lady. I was fully possessed now, and without thought, I reached to his side and drew his own sword, "Let me pass by command of your King!!" I shouted at them both. He snickered at me and I leaned forward pressing the sword against his neck, "Step aside or I will watch you bleed on these stones. I am your Princess fool!!" The other guard, grabbed me and shoved me back against the furthermost wall, but I held onto the sword. "I am well trained!" I bluffed determined to get into my lady. They just laughed at me.

But I saw a shadow move from around the corner. "Stand down men." The voice commanded and it was one of my Lord's guards. "The Lord requested that the Lady Snow Fox be allowed entrance. Did you not know that?!" He barked. They looked between each other, "But he said...." The new guard waved his hand, "He is stone drunk. Let the girl in, she aids them." I could not believe my ears and the guard turned to me, "The sword my Lady." He winked at me with in the most sly of moments. I carefully handed him the sword and he returned it to its owner, "Now let the girl in, so she can finish them already." The rouse worked and the guards stepped aside and I hurried into the room.

There my Lady Ruth was tied to the bed post and Lord Tiernan was barely on his feet, yet wielding a horse whip. He was just about to raise his arm and whip at my Lady's back again. She was already streaked in thin rows of blood as tears poured down her face. Lady Ruth turned when the door opened, but Lord Tiernan was too drunk to know what was happening. I grabbed his wrist just as he went to strike and I prevented him. He spun around like a wild bull, "You....YOU!!" he shouted madly as he stumbled back a little. He went to whip at me, but I dodged him easily and stood in front of my Lady protectively, "I will not stand by and watch this happen. I will serve my Lady and protect her with my life!!" I shouted back at him. He spun awkwardly and shouted angrily, "WITCH!!" He attempted to whip at me, but his aim was completely off. Frustrated with my interference, he charged at me and snatched me by my shoulders, and threw me with his entire strength. I knew my feet left the ground as I landed atop a chair that broke beneath me. I was dazed when I felt him grab me by my hair and drag me across the room. "You cursed witch!!I I will finally be DONE with you!!" I screamed and struggled to be free from his grasp.

But suddenly the room was filled with more men then were once in the hallway. My Lord was pulled away from me, and I collapsed onto the floor. There was much shouting, screaming and arguing but the Lord was finally removed from my Lady's chamber by several guards. The one guard from the hallway remained with a few others. The others untied the Lady Ruth, while he came over to me and knelt down. He brushed back my hair, "My Lady...." I was still dazed by my thrashing, but I managed to sit up and speak, "Yes sir." He tilted his head at me and pulled out a similar stamped medallion with the royal seal as the farrier had the other night. He just as hurriedly tucked it away and offered out his hands, "Can you stand?" I just nodded a little, "I think so." But I felt something tickling my neck and I reached back only to see blood on my finger tips. "I think not," he replied. Before I knew, he had me carefully drawn up in his arms, and was carrying me down the hallway. "But my Lady..." I managed to mumble in my haze and he just nodded at me, "I know, I have called the other Ladies-in-waiting. Right now I have to see that you are my first priority." He kicked open my chamber door and laid me down on the bed. "My Princess...." He knelt at the side of my bed in respect and lowered his head. Trembling, I reached out and touched the top of his head, "Thank you" I whispered. He looked up at me, "I will find a loyal servant to see that you are tended to. Do not attempt to move." I nodded to him and still felt the world spinning.

It was perhaps a few minutes, or maybe much more when I saw the door open and a young girl come in with a bowl and some rags, escorted by the guard. "She is the Princess, you must tend her." The girl crawled up onto the bed with me and attended to my wounds, which were not serious, but more then I realized. She stopped the bleeding in my head and the entire time, the guard stood at the foot of the bed watching every move. "My Princess...what is your command? Tell me and I will see it so done." I closed my eyes for a moment, "See that my Lady Ruth is well tended" He rested his hand on his sword, "She is....but you my Princess. Why did you put yourself in such harm's way. In such danger??" I rolled my head to the side, "Because I am loyal to my Lady. I could not just watch it happen anymore. No more....not that." The guard sighed deeply and began to pace at the fire. I whispered to the maid, "I am tired....please leave me to sleep." She looked back at the guard and he just nodded to her. Once the girl left, he sat down in a chair near the fire.

In my sleepiness, I realized he was still there, "Good sir...what is your name?" He smiled slightly, "I am Lord Gannon, my Princess." I nodded and attempted to say more, but sleep took me quickly.