Status: In progress but looking for feedback. The Prologue has been trimmed! More chapters coming soon :)

Always Anyways...

The "Accident"

The following morning, the sun was already streaming in when my eyes opened. Immediately they shifted to the fires, but I saw the seat there now empty. My mind was still foggy, but I was certain I remembered most of the events from the following night. However, in my room was young maid that I only partly recognized. She came over to my bedside, and rubbed my face down with a cool rag. "How are you feeling my Princess?" I blinked back at her, "I need to know the well being of my Lady Ruth" I answered instead. The maid continued to rub down my face, and she looked into my eyes, "The Lady Ruth is being tended to by her maids and Ladies. She will heal nicely, you were so very brave my Princess." I looked back into her eyes, "I was not brave...I was loyal. And please, do not call me Princess. It angers Lord Tiernan." The young girl just nodded obediently. "I am to send word for the Lord as soon as you are awoken. Should I let him know now?" I shifted myself in bed a little, "Yes dear girl, do nothing to upset your Lord." She slid off the bed and poked her head outside the room and spoke to someone before closing the door again. "Do not worry my Princess...Lord Gannon insisted I stay here and tend to you." I just nodded to her silently as she stoked the fire and we waited for Lord Tiernan to appear.

It did not take too long and there was a knock before he stepped into my bed chamber. I could tell he did not look well despite trying to appear strong and healthy. His eyes were darkened and his skin was slightly off colour with a greenish tint. He strode in trying to appear confident and stopped at the foot of my bed, "It is good to see you awake my Lady." I just nodded in return because I knew there was more he would say. "I wanted to thank you for serving your Lady so loyally last night. I was told there was nearly a terrible accident, but that you hurried to protect my wife as best you could. For that I am most grateful. You are indeed a worthy maid to be serving your Lady in such a fashion." I tilted my head, "An accident my Lord?" He narrowed his eyes at me, "Yes...an accident." He said most purposefully, "I am grateful that you served your Lady. I will be writing your father the King to alert him that you were nearly hurt in care for my wife, but are quite safe now. I will be sure to express my sincere gratitude for him sending you to my court." I quickly realized that this event was to be easily covered under the guise of an accident. I bit my tongue because I was not in a position of power to do anything otherwise. "The guards that allowed this terrible mistake to happen will be punished severely. I assure you. Steps have been taken to see that this does not happen again." I swallowed and immediately thought of Lord Gannon and my stomach dropped. "Do we have an understanding, my Princess." He looked at me most firm. I forced myself to look back at him and nod silently. "I will see that you are properly rewarded for your service. Name your prize." I felt bile rise in my throat. Was he actually going to bribe me for my silence? "A necklace mayhaps? Or a new colourful dress? Do you like horses? I could find you one in the stables of excellent breeding." He offered. I knew that I needed to name something to appease him in my silence. "A horse would be a worthy gift my Lord. I thank you" I hated even hearing the words pass my lips. He smiled slightly, "Very well, I will see my Horse Marshal picks one of our very best riding horses for you. Consider it done. Rest today good Lady and see that you are well again. I know my Lady would want that for you." He nodded to me and was gone.

As soon as I heard his footsteps disappear down the hallway, I immediately scrambled from the bed, and my knees buckled beneath me. The maid rushed to my side, "My Princess, what are you doing?? Where are you going??" I looked up at her, "You heard the Lord's words. Lord Gannon is in danger....he could be hanged for this!!" She easily placed me back in bed, "You must rest....Lord Gannon left in the early light of the day." I weakly fought against her, "No! No! See me dressed, I am going to the stables!" The girl was confused, "The stables my Lady? For your new horse??" I looked at her, "Take me to the stables. I am ordering you to dress me!" The girl was stunned when I was so firm, and did as I requested. It took her help, but I was down the stairs and eventually made it slowly to the stables. A stable hand ran up to me, "How can I help you my Lady??" He looked nervously at the maid as I know my appearance did not look well enough for riding. "The farrier...I must speak with him" The boy nodded, "Which farrier my Lady?" I paused because I did not know his name, I never asked. "The....the one with green eyes. Dark hair. I must speak with him." The boy shook his head, "He is not here right now my Lady." I nearly shouted at him, "Then find him!! Bring him here now!!" The boy's eyes widened and he rushed off. The maid who was barely keeping me on my feet looked over at me, "Why do you need to speak with a farrier, my Lady?" I looked over at her, "God bless you for your kind treatment of me. But now you must go. Return to your duties this instant." The girl attempted to protest, "But my Lady...." I shook my head, "Go...your princess commands it." The girl carefully left me near a stable door and hurried back inside the castle.

It took too long and I was barely keeping on my feet when I finally saw the farrier come rushing around the corner. I smiled in relief to see him, but his look was grave indeed. "My lady...I have already seen to your horse." He said, but his eyes motioned in a direction to the side. "No you have not!" I played along, "I insist his shoe is not right." He huffed with his hands on his hips, "Fine, then I will show you." He quickly strode down the stable aisles and I struggled to follow him. Finally when we were out of all sights, he pulled me into an empty storage room, "Why have you called for me my Princess. We cannot be seen together like this." I looked straight into his eyes, "Lord Gannon...he works as a guard of the Lord. He is in grave danger. My Lord is threatening to see all the guards from last night punished severely." He sighed deeply running his hand over his face, "We expected this and sent him away already. He has returned to the royal castle for his own safety. It took much convincing for him to go. He was insisting that you be taken in the cover of darkness as well."

I blinked back at him, and start to feel the world spin. This was all so surreal to me yet the farrier caught me and held me tightly against the wall, "Princess you should not be out of bed. You are lucky to not be harmed even more. What you did last night was insanity." I shook my head, "It was not....it was loyalty." He sighed deeply and I felt his hot breath on my face, "Loyalty?? You owe loyalty to your father and no one else. Prince Nicolous will not take kindly to our reports. Do not be surprised if he comes for you himself." I looked back at him, "Lord Tiernan is sending a letter to my father, telling him of an 'accident' and that my service protected his Lady. He is offering me a horse in reward." I saw the farrier's face turn bright red, "Then our messenger must travel faster. I will see he is given the best horse. It is good you told me of this. Now I must see you returned to your bed." I tried to protest, but my weak body betrayed me as I was lifted in his capable arms. He carried me all the way back to my bed chamber and laid me down in bed. "Princess...do not be so stubborn and let your brother's men do their job." I looked up at him defiantly, "I am not stubborn." He chuckled slightly as he headed toward the door, "Oh indeed you are. Rest well, my Princess" He bowed to me before leaving. It did not take long for my eyes to close once again as there was no energy left in my body.