Status: In progress but looking for feedback. The Prologue has been trimmed! More chapters coming soon :)

Always Anyways...

A picnic

Our sweet days, filled with the whims and wishes of my Lady. The warm weather always seems to make the days easier and the hours sweeter. Today my Lady planned a grand picnic, complete with tents, blankets and musicians. She ordered food normally only prepared for a special feast, all to be bound up carefully in baskets. The women of her court rode in an open carriage out to a small grassy hill. The servants set up the scene as we slowly wandered through picking wild flowers and giggling like girls in the markets. It was a good day, when the demons felt so far away from my mind. Around us at a distance, the king's guard stayed mounted, looking in all directions for our safety. But I felt I had such little to worry about. The ladies made chains of wildflowers and weaved the tiniest of flowers into their hair like young maids. My Lady Ruth smiled and laughed as the cool breezes of the afternoon refreshed us and the musicians played some livelier tunes to dance with each other.

Yet still, there was something about this day, a weight I felt in my heart for I knew such happiness was so short lived. I cannot ignore the reality of life anymore, and I know that with every good day, bad ones come in their wake. I dreaded the return of Lord Tiernan and knew that such tender days would be squashed quickly as trivial wastes. I did not want my darkness to infect the others, so I stood up and decided to gather more flowers as we had so quickly ran out.

The space gave me time to think, as the music lingered through their air like a forest song of tree branches. The warmth of the sun on my black gown was actually comforting, like a warm hug. I never did mind the sun. Slowly I walked through, picking only the very brightest of flowers. And as I drifted a little too far, I noticed one guard took up as my shadow. At one point, I looked back at him and instead of the usual scowl, there was a warm smile and a respectful nod. I smiled back at him just as warmly, "I hope you are not too hot good sire, spending the day in the open sun." He shook his head back at me, "I do not mind my Princess" and as I have come to know, out from underneath his tunic, he slipped the silver medallion of my brother. My smile widened, "I will be sure that you get extra wine with dinner this evening good Lord." He chuckled back at me, "Tis not necessary my Princess."

I wandered a little more before I looked back at him, "Has there been any more news from my brother? I have only received one scroll." He tilted his head, "My Prince is doing well, and is safe. His business is taking much longer then expected, but he is regularly apprised of your well being. It is of utmost importance to him." I nodded, knowing this was only the truth. "And of my Father? Do you have any news?" The Lord nodded, "I have heard he is in good spirits and good health, busy working on trade alliances. There is peace at the castle these days." I sighed, glad to hear it. As we continued to wander further away, I became more brave, "Do you know of Lord Gannon? He served my brother faithfully." The Lord smiled, "Why of course, he is my cousin!" I quickly turned back, "Did he arrive back to my father's castle safely?? He is unharmed??" The Lord nodded quickly, "Indeed, we all saw to that. You have nothing to fear." I hung my head, "He risked so much for me...I feared that Lord Tiernan would find him. He put himself in such danger." The Lord shifted in his saddle, "My cousin is quite brave, I will not deny him that. But his loyalty is unwavering. He fought us all when some insisted that you stay behind. He even punched his own cousin when I tried to force him to mount his horse," he chuckled. I looked up at him and smiled sheepishly, "I have heard of his insistent concern for my welfare, but I am truly sorry for your treatment." The Lord quickly shook his head, "Do not apologize. There were others that agreed with him. It was a terrible decision that we all faced, making our work even harder. But we also knew it was what you wanted. Lord Gannon even admitted it himself." I nodded in agreement, "It was. I would not have left my Lady in such a state." He answered that with only a smile.

I took in his face for a moment, "Your name good Lord?" He pulled his chest up a little with pride, "Lord Kenrick, my Princess." I bowed slightly to him, "It is a honour Lord Kenrick. Can you do me a special request?" He nodded instantly, "Anything my Princess." I smiled softly, "Will you send a scroll to your cousin, and offer my most sincere appreciation. I want him to know how concerned I was for his welfare, and that I have not forgotten his devotion and kindness that night. I hope one day to thank him in person." Lord Kenrick put his hand to his chest, "I promise that he will receive every word my Princess. Have no doubts." I nodded, "It is important to me that he knows...He was not forgotten so quickly by me." Lord Kenrick nodded, "He will be honoured and touched by your words. I know this without question." I smiled softly in return and my heart felt lightened knowing this request would be fulfilled.

I gathered some more flowers before I returned to my Lady's side once more. But throughout the afternoon, I kept an eye on the armour of Lord Kenrick. My heart was at ease knowing that my brother's men were never far, never once have I been forsaken by them, even if unseen or unknown. When we returned back to the castle, I could not help but notice that Taggart lingered in the stable doorways, his dark eyes watching me carefully. Lord Kenrick nodded only once to him and I watched Taggart's eyes fall on me before returning inside the stables. The mystery of that man continues to grow, but I fight myself to not question it.

That night sleep did come easy, easier then most. I dreamt of Nicolito and I as children. I know that I am never far from his thoughts, and he will never be far from mine.