Status: In progress but looking for feedback. The Prologue has been trimmed! More chapters coming soon :)

Always Anyways...

Unrest

Suddenly there he was. The shock and surprise caused me to cry out quicker then my hand could cover my own mouth. It did not even bother me that I was only in a dressing robe, or that my hair hung lose, or it was far too late for Taggart to be inside my chamber. I do not even know how he managed to step inside the doorway without me hearing him. He quickly put up his hands, "Do not panic my Princess, but I must speak with you." Once again he was dressed in the dark leathers and high boots.

It has been days since I have seen Taggart. However I have heard of him...from the maids. It seems one of the kitchen scullery maids has caught the eye of the handsome farrier. When I went to return my lady's goblets, I overheard the young girls whispering excitedly to one another in a back doorway. It seems the young girl caught his eye, and she spent a rather enchanted evening in one of the stable's balconies. She described him as tender and kind, and she wondered when he would come to take her away again. I tried not to let my presence be known, but one of them turned and saw my skirts, "My Lady....apologies...." They both quickly bowed to me before hurrying off, giggling down the hallway. I went about my business that day, but there was an unmistakable burn in my chest. I have ignored it, to the point of obsession. For I am determined to ponder no more words on the matter at all.

Yet here he was, standing before me, this time in my own chamber. "My lord....what is wrong? Is there something wrong?" I asked breathlessly. Taggart sighed heavy, looking down at the floor, "I was sent tonight to ask that you do not leave tomorrow on the chores of your Lady." Lady Ruth has once again been anxiously talking about new fabrics. Since I was so successful the first time, she has entrusted that I once again to and retrieve her more. Except this time, she wants a larger quantity as well as some rare fruits that can only be purchased this time of year from the ported merchants. I eagerly agreed to go because I have felt nothing but suffocated in this castle. And perhaps, though I dread to admit this, there was a distance I wished to place on myself from something found within these walls.

"What do you mean....why should I not go?" I asked him. Taggart stepped toward me, keeping his voice low, "My Princess, there is unrest along the coast line. That is what has delayed the Lord's return. It is what has your brother's men stationed along the ridge lines." I tilted my head, "Why was I not told of this? Why is my Lady Ruth not aware??" He smiled sadly, "Lord Tiernan nor the Prince wished no one to know. You are all quite safe here." I quickly closed the distance between us, "Is Nicolous in danger? Are there battles being fought??" I asked immediately. Taggart shook his head, "Prince Nicolous is safely in another land, it is your older brother Prince Woolsey who is there." I paused for a moment to take in this information, "But Lord Kenrick told me there was peace in the lands." Taggart shook his head again, "With your father in the castle, aye, there is peace. But surely my Princess you realize there cannot always be peace in any man's kingdom. It is the way of the world." I nodded for his wisdom was true, and my father always had a way of keeping the women of our family from worrying unnecessarily.

"How can I refuse my Lady and have knowledge of such information? I gave her my word I am to go. Is there fighting at the Northern Port?" Taggart sighed, folding his arms, "A battle line, no. There is not. But pockets of men keep breaking out at unpredictable times. It is not a safe location for you my Princess. We have discussed it and we must find a reason you cannot go. That is why I am here." I folded my arms in return, "You discussed it?? Is this what my brother has entrusted you to do?" Taggart hesitated, "We are entrusted to see you safe at all costs my Princess. You know that." I nodded, "Then see me safe." Taggart actually faulted for words, "My Princess, I..." I interrupted him before he could finish, "See me safe my Lord...see that your promise is kept to my brother and your honour to me is proven. See me safe my Lord." I could see a darkness come across his eyes, "I am no Lord my Princess...do not call me that." I was determined to be, if nothing else, challenging tonight, "You are a Lord if I say it is so. Do you now argue with your Princess?" He threw up his hands, in a most unusual display of frustration, "We have decided that it is not safe for you to go. These would be the very words of Prince Nicolous himself if my pigeons could fly as fast. You are placing yourself knowingly in unnecessary danger for the sake of some fabric and foolish summer fruits!" His voice rose every so slightly at the end.

I paused and blinked at him, before I spoke ever so quietly, "Then take me yourself Taggart....you have never failed me." His anger was halted for a moment as he looked up at me, so I continued, "You are my protector, and you are the one that I choose." His face quickly looked away from mine, "I cannot be that my Princess," he said softly, striding back toward the door. I rushed after him despite myself, and touched him on the arm, "I want you....I want you protecting me and at my side." He actually looked pained when he slowly stepped back again toward the door, "I cannot....I cannot." I paused, before continuing, "I am leaving tomorrow regardless." He closed his eyes for a moment before he slipped out the door. He did not return that night and the morning sun came quickly.