Status: In progress but looking for feedback. The Prologue has been trimmed! More chapters coming soon :)

Always Anyways...

To the coast

The early dawn found my carriage ready and waiting for me. I had requested that my personal horse be brought along for the trip, for carriage riding does not always appeal to me. As I stepped inside, Lord Kenrick smiled at me from his horse alongside. I returned the smile, and felt my chest ease to know that he was coming. However, there was a very noticeable absence, that was perhaps only noticed by me. As the last small items were being loaded on the carriage, I could not help myself to ask. "Has the farrier checked over my horse? Is he well prepared for the journey?" It was Lord Kenrick who answered me, "Just a few hours ago my Lady, all is ready." I turned my eyes back toward the castle, but unlike times before, I did not see any eyes looking back at me. Slowly I looked down, for I had known that this decision was of my choosing and I would not be swayed.

I felt the carriage lurch and my small entourage started to leave. I steeled my nerves to not look back one last time. But just as we rode through the castle gates, my body reacted without my knowledge. If he was there, watching me leave, he was well blended into the bustle of the walls. I settled into my seat and passively watched the scenery go by. My thoughts had lulled when the scenery started to slow down and I felt the carriage stop. I tensed because we had only just begun our journey and there was little reason to stop now. Through glimpses out of the small carriage windows, I saw all the men dismounting from horseback. My hands gripped the handle inside, for in my mind, this translated into a very few scenarios. None that would be good for me. I remember thinking that if Taggart was here, I would never had such fears.

I was on edge when Lord Kenrick stepped up to the door of the carriage and opened it wide, "My Princess...." He offered out his hand with another smile. I paused before I placed my hand into his. Perhaps he saw my worried eyes or felt my tense hand, but he immediately covered over my hand with his own and nodded reassuringly. I stepped out and saw all the men standing ready before me. Lord Kenrick released my hand and knelt down to one knee, to which the men behind him did the very same. Then he spoke, "My Princess, we would like you to know that we serve our King, and your brother the Prince. We pledge our lives and our loyalty to you, and hope that even in our deaths, we have served you well." Once my heart calmed and my eyes looked over this small group of men, all four of them had my brother's medallions hanging from around their neck, plainly for me to see. This gesture now became clear to me for the only face known to me was Lord Kenrick, while the others have been well hidden from my view.

My smile came naturally as I took a soft breath this time. They remained on their knee before me, in very way I have come to expect from the noble men inside my father's castle. "Rise good Lords....and know that I rejoice in having you on this journey." They all stood with proud smiles on their faces as I looked up at Lord Kenrick directly, "Thank you for this my Lord...thank you for putting my mind at ease." He nodded, "We are well aware of your fears my Princess, and we all felt it was important that you knew you were nothing but well protected like the precious jewel you are." His words actually made me a little shy and I looked down slightly.

Lord Kenrick continued, "We also wanted you to know that we have arranged something slightly different for you my Princess." I met his eyes again as I tilted my head, "I do not understand. I need to fulfill my duties to my Lady." Lord Kenrick agreed without hesitation, "Aye of course my Princess. We would never attempt to sway you from your duties. I speak only to the method we will protect you. We will ride to the coast, and we will camp on the ridge amongst the Prince's men. That way we will best protect you and when the markets are open, you will ride in with a full escort. Prince Woosley has already been informed." It seemed a reasonable compromise, despite how I knew it would be received by my older brother. He always fancied me as the spoiled child and I am sure this time will be no different. Lord Kenrick finished by asking, "Does that please you my Princess?" I smiled happily, "It does indeed...a most excellent compromise."

The men paused only to change their colors, which I cannot deny made me smile. No longer did I have to suffering through riding under the banner of Lord Tiernan, but instead under the flag of my Father, the King. It gave me pride when I saw their tunics reflecting such honour as well. As I was helped back into the carriage, I stopped Lord Kenrick for a moment, "My good lord, speak honestly. For whom do I thank for such a reasonable suggestion?" He shifted slightly, "It was my own my Princess...I am glad that it pleased you. If I may speak so openly, there has been a special request made of you when you arrive. My cousin, Lord Gannon is serving with the Prince. He would be honoured if you would receive him for dinner." I shook my head, "It is I who would be honoured if he would receive me for dinner, so that I may thank him personally for what he did that night." Lord Kenrick just nodded, "He will be inspired to know you will receive him. I will be sure he knows as soon as we arrive."

Enough peace was brought to me, that my body dozed off during the heat of the day. When I opened my eyes again, it was to see the sprawling camp of my brother Woolsey, with tents and flags spanning all along the ridgeline and the dim setting sun behind them.