Status: In progress but looking for feedback. The Prologue has been trimmed! More chapters coming soon :)

Always Anyways...

Lord Gannon lives!

When I woke up, I could not ignore how much my head was throbbing. It was swimming in foggy pain, as I tried to gain my bearings. I could not tell the time of day because it was raining with the clouds clearly hiding the sun. When I looked down at myself, I nearly recoiled in horror. Even with my black fabric, I would tell the sleeves and the front of my dress were soaked in the blood of dead men, of my father's men. I quickly remembered all the twisted faces in agony that I had helped ease to death in their final moments. Then my last memory came to me as well, Lord Gannon. In reaction, I reached up and touched my lips, there was some grit still there. Had I really kissed him? Did all of that really happen or was it just a twisted nightmare? My blood stained hands told me it must be otherwise.

I managed to get to my feet, and pushed back the flap of my sleeping area. Around the burning firepit was Lord Kenrick and one of my brother's knights. They quickly jumped their feet turning toward me. "Let me get you something to wash up..." the knight murmured and quickly headed out. I just looked toward Lord Kenrick with weary eyes, trying to gauge by his look if Lord Gannon was no more. He smiled back sadly. I couldn't even bring myself to say the words, "Is he...." Lord Kenrick shook his head slowly, "No...no he still with us. Thanks to you." I tilted my head, feeling I had little to do with the matter. I simply couldn't take credit, "No...no....Despite the chaos, I should have seen him sooner." Lord Kenrick walked toward me, as he spoke softly, "He never told anyone he was wounded...he was helping to carry back worse men. No one gave him a second look because they thought he was exhausted. Only you stopped to see the truth. You saved him." The realization hit me as tears started to roll down my cheeks, "Will he live?" I murmured. Lord Kenrick paused before folding his arms tightly, and turning away, "With his strength he should...It seems you helped with that." I felt strange for a second, as his tone of voice carried something I couldn't quite place. But I continued anyway, "Then I am glad." Lord Kenrick turned, "I should get an update from the commanders," he said abruptly and headed out of the tent.

I remained standing there a little confused until my other knight brought in a bowl of water and some rags. I cleaned up the best I could, and changed into my only other gown I had packed with me. I feared the gown from last night would never be wearable again, if for no other reason then the memories it carried. I had clearly not prepared for a trip such as this. I couldn't bring myself to eat, as the echoes of last night rung in my ears. It was a tiny voice that stirred me next, "Pardon me....Princess...." I slowly turned from my deep thoughts and saw the same paige boy from yesterday who brought me furs and food from Lord Gannon. I smiled at him gently, "Yes dear boy, what message to you bring?" He relaxed and smiled in return, "My master, Lord Gannon, he is calling for you. He is calling you to his bedside." Without hesitation, I scrambled my feet and followed right behind to boy to his master's tent. He pulled aside the flap, and I was immediately struck with how high the fire was and how hot the tent was. I worried what this could mean. His squire motioned toward his sleeping area, and I timidly entered in.

There in front of me, was Lord Gannon, sitting up, bare chested with his ribs bound in fabric. I could see some blood starting to soak through the bandages, and he still looked pale and weak. But upon seeing me, he smiled widely. "My Princess...." I could not help but smile back as I bowed before him, "My Lord Gannon, it pleases me to see you sitting up." He chuckled, "It pleases ME to be sitting up!" But then he got a little more serious, "I owe you a sincere debt of gratitude, as my cousin was all too determined to tell me, I was nearly stubborn enough to kill myself," He chuckled again. I smiled sadly, "I believe he deserves far more credit then I do." Lord Gannon shakes his head, "Indeed not...your comfort was unmatched. My men have told me how the word of your deeds have spread. The angel of the battlefield." I quickly shook my head, "I am no such thing my Lord...there were other nursemaids tending to the wounded." Lord Gannon smiles, "But none with the face of an angel." I blushed brightly and looked down at the ground. He did not let me go so easily, "My cousin tells me that you would honor me by accepting me at your dinner table. I fear I am unable to travel, but would be pleased to host you here. Will you give a man his dying wish?" I looked up at him and saw a slightly roguish smile, "I would..." I murmured softly, feeling like a girl again. He nodded, "Then I best rest up, so I can be worthy company." I bowed again to him before leaving his tent.