Status: In progress but looking for feedback. The Prologue has been trimmed! More chapters coming soon :)

Always Anyways...

A plan

For two days I did not leave my tent. I did not attend to the sick men or serve in the medical tent. For two days, Lord Kenrick was the only face I saw as I seemed nearly frozen in time. Time did not seem to help, nor did sleep or quiet. Nothing seemed to make sense of the tornado that existed in my mind. How could this have happened? How could no one have told me? How could I not have been made aware? As desperately as I wanted the answers, I knew that Woosley would not entertain such a waste of time on old news. It would be frowned upon amidst all that was before him. Worse yet, he may send me away without achieving what I came for at my Lady's request. There was only one person who could answer my questions, Nicolito, and he seemed ever further away from me. I so wished for his soothing presence and guidance, but I knew there was so little even he could do.

I was long over due to my Lady's side. My schedule should have been at most a few days and I was nearly at the war camp for 2 weeks. While first I was more then happy to linger here, now all I wanted was to frantically escape. In a moment of weakness, I reached out to the only person that I felt still understood me. In the dim light of the fire, Lord Kenrick came to check in on me. I was where I always was, sitting curled up by the fire side. He quietly turned to leave, and a pathetic whisper came out of my lips. "Lord Kenrick..." He paused at the tent opening and turned toward me, "My Princess?" I reached out a hand and he drew near stopping before me, "Do you need something?" My hand curled around the edge of his tunic and I looked up hopelessly into his eyes, "Please....I cannot stand this place for another day. Please find a way that I can serve my Lady and go home." He smiled sadly and with understanding, "I am trying my Princess. Your brother is very determined on your safety and distracted by the battles." I leaned forward, and rested my forehead against his legs, "Please....I just want peace. That is all I ever wanted." I knew how small and weak I sounded, but I did not care. I wanted only to be free of this prison. I felt Lord Kenrick tense up when my forehead touched him, but slowly I felt him move, and rest a gentle hand atop my head, "I will do everything in my power to return you back. To that I promise my word and my honour." He softly brushed back my hair. Between his kindness and his words, he soothed me. I shifted back and curled up along the fire side. Lord Kenrick covered me over with another fur, "I will have word for you tomorrow, my Princess. I have a plan." He said nothing more before pausing a moment and slipping out of the tent.