Status: In progress but looking for feedback. The Prologue has been trimmed! More chapters coming soon :)

Always Anyways...

Unseen heros

When I finally saw the tents of my brother's war camp, I could not contain my urgency to finally get there. My horse broke into a gallop as we got near and dashed up to the first set of guards outside the camp, "Help us!! You must help us!!" I called out as I grew near. The guards quickly drew their swords, "Stop there!!" they demanded. But Taggart pulled ahead of me, and pointed his sword back, "Answer your Princess fool!" His voice angry and commanding. The guards looked back at me as I quickly pulled back my hood, "Take me to my brother! We were ambushed on the road...my knights were left behind!" The guards looked wearily at Taggart, "And who is this rogue?" Taggart knew to let me speak, "This is my personal guard, now bring me to Prince Woosley!" I said back angry as they wasted my time. I felt like each and every second that I was delayed was costing the life of my men.

Quickly a squire brought us to the war tent, and I leapt down from my horse, flying inside, "Brother!!" I called out desperately. My brother was sitting with 3 other captains looking over maps as I came in and he quickly stood up, "Dear sister?? What is all the trouble?" I rushed toward him and quickly put my arms around his waist, "I was ambushed on the road. I broke away, but my men were left behind. You must help them! You must send more knights after them!!" Woosley looked from my face to Taggart, who was standing stiff and grim behind me. "I know you...." Woosley murmured. Taggart just nodded, "Good Day my Prince." Woosley smirked, "Ah yes....my brother's man. His hired guard dog." His voice dripped with contempt. I looked up at Woosley, "He was hired by Nicolito to personally protect me. He alone saved me from an horrid fate at their hands." My brother and Taggart had locked eyes and Woosley just raised an eyebrow, "I am sure he did...he is well known for the art of taking life." Taggart just replied back, "Indeed I am...a true artist my Prince."

Woosley shook his head, "Nicolous has put this creature on your trail? And he felt that was safe?" Taggart shifted, resting his hand on his sword, "She is safe by my hands, not a knights." Woosley nods, "Indeed, so she says...no doubt you crawled out from some unholy shadow." Taggart just smiled slowly and I watched as it curled in an evil way, but he remained silent. "Brother!" I said insistantly, "My men!! My knights!!" He finally broke the gaze with Taggart and looked down at me, "Thank goodness you are safe dear sister...indeed that is most important to my heart. I do not want you to fray your nerves any further. I will see your men are brought back." He kissed the top of my forehead and passed me on to of his Captains, "See her back to her tent and personally guarded by you and your most talented men." The captain stood up and smiled curtly at me, "And him?" He motioned with his head to Taggart. Woosley could barely hide his sneer, "Give him a few pieces of gold and send him on his way." I blinked in shock, "NO! No...." Taggart looked down at his boots before looking back at me for a moment. Only then did he answer my brother, "I am well paid already my Prince. There is no need." With that, he spun and strode out of the tent.

The captain waited a long moment until the sound of Taggart's horse faded into the distance, before motioning his hand to me, "Please my Princess...You will be safe until the return of your men. This way..." I quietly went back to my tent, but felt uneasy and restless at the loss of Taggart. I did not understand the animosity between him and my brother Woosley. But it was clear they knew each other fairly well.

It seemed hours and darkness had already fallen by the time I heard any sounds. I refused food or rest as I paced anxiously for news of my noble knights. Finally there were sounds outside my tent, and I could wait not a moment longer. I burst out and saw a group of men dismounting from their horses. "Is there word?? Did you find Lord Kenrick....and my other knights?!" I pleaded desperately. But from behind an unknown man, I saw Lord Kenrick, bloodied and filthy dismount from his horse. I cried out in joy as I ran to him. He smiled weakly before dropping to his knee before me, "I failed you my Princess....I beg your forgiveness!" I shook my head as I placed my hand on his shoulder, "Never Lord Kenrick....you kept me safe. You all did." They were bloody and bruised, but all my men returned. I personally ushered them to the medical tent to see that all their wounds were tended, and hot stew and bread was brought to them immediately. I insisted that they rested inside my tent tonight and recovered from the terrible day. As I covered Lord Kenrick with a fur, he gazed up at me sadly, "I failed you, yet you praise me a hero. Why?" I smiled back at him, "For you are my most bravest knight and I knew you would fight to the death for me. That makes you my hero. But I could not see you put in danger because of my foolish wishes. I had to do something." He shook his head, "I would have died for you my Princess...I thought they had taken you." I smiled, "I arrived safe and remain so because of you. Now rest your head tonight my Lord." I could tell that choice was not one he would choose, but he laid his head down despite himself.

As I was resting in my private section, my eyes were closing as I saw something shift in the darkness. I sat up slowly and tried to discern if my eyes were playing tricks on me. But soon a figured stepped into the dim light, and I would know him anywhere. Taggart had found a way back to me. I smiled softly, "You came back...." I whispered. I could not see his face, but I could tell that he nodded, "Rest now...tomorrow comes soon." I laid back down, and it was easy for my eyes to drift closed.