Status: In progress but looking for feedback. The Prologue has been trimmed! More chapters coming soon :)

Always Anyways...

Reality slips away

The days continued to blend together until reality slipped through my fingers. I was adrift in my solitude, my endless dreams and prayers. It all blurred into one as my mind lost its grip on the position I found myself in. The deafening silence, the unknown, the lack of news and loneliness merged together, allowing my dreams to become more real then what was in front of me. There were days I felt as if I was indeed married to Jesus, a nun of the most pious state as my prayers were all consuming. Then there were days I fancied myself trapped in a tower of an evil sorcerer while I wished for my white knight to come save me. Other days I dreamt that I lived a quiet life of a commoner, in a tiny cottage with Taggart as my mate. How he would come to me after all the chores and fields were tended, and we would sit quietly together at the fire. With a haze over my eyes, nothing seen was real. Even Taggart drifted in and out of my dreams like a ghost, and there were days I barely realized he was there. Moments I envisioned him there in the daylight, having conversations with me, and times I would hear his voice through the crackle of the fire. When I dared, there were moments that I dreamed of Lord Gannon, as the white knight. Or moments when I rewrote the pages of my young life, where he claimed me in my youth, and I lived a happy and good life as his Lady and Lord Gannon my Prince.

I could not tell you how long I was kept locked in the tiny servant's chambers, but I do know that each night, in the darkness, Taggart would return to me without fail. Bringing food and more wood for my fire. I know his presence was kind and soothing, and there were times he would caress me in comfort and I would drift to sleep at his side. But I dare not guess on what other details were dreams or actual happenings between us. All I know for certain was the look he carried in his eyes. As if I was the most precious possession that his life could contain, and each day he was relieved to see me waiting for him on the other side of the door.

Yet one day, there was sunlight while I whispered a daydream to myself, and I heard the door open. Lazily, with foggy eyes, I slowly turned to see Taggart walking toward me hurriedly. I stood and smiled widely at him. I do not even realize what I said in greeting, but he shook me carefully but firmly by the shoulders, "Jane....Jane, come back to me. Focus on my voice! Jane!" His tone was firm, and I believe my body reacted out of fear, clearing away the clouds in my mind. I grabbed him back by the arms, and blinked, "Taggart?" I remember hearing my voice say, and noticing that it sounded different then it did a moment ago. Taggart released his grip on my shoulders, and took my chin in his hands, "Look at me girl. Tell me where you are." I blinked back at him simply, "I am together with you," I smiled. His fingers tensed a little around my chin, "Focus Jane. Enough dreams for today. Hear my voice and remember!" I blinked a few more times, and saw the urgency reflecting back in his eyes, "I am with you in a manor house. I am prisoner here." He nodded this time, "Good...name for me all the Princes of the Kingdom." I smiled hopefully, "Has Nicolito come?! Has he come for me??!" Taggart shook his head, "No Jane, he has not. Name the Princes."

I did as he asked and he nodded once as if convinced my mind was as clear as it could be in this situation. "Jane, I need to take you before a council of men. I need to retie your hands, and it would best if you do not speak, even if asked a question. I would have prepared you if I thought they were coming." He pulled out the rope again and I did not resist as he wrapped it around my wrists. "Do your best not to speak Jane. It would be best if you remained silent. Can you do that?" I nodded to him obediently. "I will be with you the entire time. Do not fear Alaric, I can handle any threats he makes. Do not fear." I nodded again and Taggart covered his hands over mine, "I need to hear you say it. Jane, do you trust me?" I smiled sadly, "I have always trusted you." He nodded before taking the rope and leading me outside the room for the first time in weeks.