Status: In progress but looking for feedback. The Prologue has been trimmed! More chapters coming soon :)

Always Anyways...

First day of service

The ringleader, whose name I know now is Beremud, realized that our arrangement put him in a tricky situation. For now that I had wiggled free from my cage, he had to deal with the risk of me escaping a number of ways. What he did not realize or even consider was that I would have never left Taggart behind. But that secret would remain with me. To solve his problem for the moment, Beremud shoved me into the large pantry kitchen of the manor before slamming the locked door behind me. "Food and be quick!" he growled.

I have seen dozens of large manor house kitchens in my time, but I have no idea how they actually function. I had always left that up to the head cook and their teams of undercooks, groups of servants and scullery maids. I bit my lip hard and refused the urge to cry and succumb to the feeling of being overwhelmed. With the lack of a place to start, I walked through aimlessly, opening cabinets, barrels and boxes. Most were empty or only a small amount of leftover scraps were inside. There was a stack of firewood and luckily having served my Lady Ruth, I knew how to start a fire. But honestly, I was not very good at it without a flint rock and I did not see one. No food, no fire in the kitchen, I worried how this would reflect on my promise to work, and Taggart's well being. I piled all the food I could find on the center block of the room, and stared down at it.

But before I could formulate any sensible plan, a back door unlocked and in swept a large round woman with huge baskets about her arms. As she pulled the door closed, she removed her shawl before realizing I was standing there. "Good heavens Child!!" She shook her head, "Who are you and what are you doing in this kitchen?!" She put down her heavy baskets before settling her wrinkled brown eyes on me. I fixed myself up straight, never more glad to see someone and smiled weakly, "Greetings good Lady." She shook her head, "Oh child, whatever you did to get yourself in this forsaken mess, do not imagine I am in a position to help you. I am simply the hunter's wife. I am grateful to cook for these brutes, if it means my husband and I are left in peace....for the most part anyway." I bit my lip again, and smoothed out my skirts, "Good Lady, do you know who I am?" She wrapped an apron around her waist, setting about to her work while we talked, "And how could I know that? I will tell you what I do know. You need a brush for that hair, a good hot bath and some needle and thread to fix that god forsaken dress." She eyed me quickly, "And frankly child, you need to start eating, your face is as thin as a ghost. I can tell that dress used to fit at one point anyway. Before it got stained with blood and filth." I looked down at myself and have never felt so self conscious before. But she continued, "Well come then, tell me your name child." I blinked back at her, feeling big hot tears welling in my eyes. "Jane....Princess Jane Snow Fox...." She dropped the onions in her hands and just stared at me, "Oh you poor creature, no wonder you look like a lost pup in the woods. You have no idea of the men in that other room do you?" I shook my head at her as she quickly went back to work, "The name is Madge. Well I ain't gunna courtesy and waste our time with all that noble nonsense. I imagine they put you in here to cook and serve, for your face has far less wrinkles then mine, even behind the dirt. Am I right?" I nodded to her wisdom, "My...my..." my voice hesitated on what to say, "My lord protector is locked away badly beaten, and if I do not work in his stead, they will starve the both of us." Madge nodded to me, "Very well then...So cook we will, and fill their bellies with food and enough ale to sleep. Which I hope brings you some peace tonight."

I felt like I was stating the obvious, but it clearly needed to be said, "Good Lady, I do not know how to cook." She looked up at me and shook her head, "Of course not. Can you even make a fire?" I felt my cheeks burn with embarrassment at how inadequate my offer to work really was, "With a flint rock," I murmured. Madge sighed, "Well child, then I have deal for you, and I don't imagine you will turn it down none either. But it will make light work for the both of us." I nodded in agreement for her to continue, "Each day I will teach you something important, and each day you must learn it well enough to do it alone. I will teach you how to make a fire, how to cook a stew and make a simple bread. Each day you learn, will give me less to do the next day. I will go to the markets and bring my husband's catch, but the rest will soon be left to you until they find another purpose for you. Either your protector heals or your father's knights come riding back with a wagon of gold." Any help she was willing to give me would only further me in helping Taggart and myself, so I willingly agreed. "Alright then child, come here now, prepare the fire and I will show you how to make a spark without a flint rock. Then you will be cutting up these roots into chunks before we set about getting you some fresh water to clean you up a little bit."

I have never been so grateful in all my life. Madge guided me through the work, my extra hands making it all faster. Leaving us enough time to let me wash clean, and her to sow a few larger rips in my only dress. But soon evening was upon us and she had to leave me, "Tomorrow, have the fire burning and the water hot with onions. I will bring the rest and show you how to clean a dead animal." I shivered at the thought but nodded as she set out the bowls to serve the men their stew. "If you keep moving, you will be a tougher target, and if that doesn't work, fill their cups with more ale. But not too much child, or it will only make them more hungry for you to warm their beds." I took in every word of her wisdom and nodded. "I will see you tomorrow child, but I will pray for you tonight." I smiled at her sadly as she left, locking the door behind her. I hesitated a moment before I brought out the large pot and started to feed the men.

They kept me up all night with their singing and shouting, fighting and arguing. Their hands grabbed at me, taunting cruelties but nothing to tarnish my virtue. Finally when they were starting to fall asleep at their tables, Beremud stood up and stumbled his way to me. "Come you....I am done with you tonight. I should lock you away before one of the men throws dice for your pleasures." He cackled before snatching my arm roughly. I managed to grab my water, rags and wood as he dragged me down to my room. With a final shove, he put my inside my room, locking the door behind me.

The room was cold and dark, but I had enough wood for a fire. I put everything down before kneeling at Taggart's side. He was so still I was almost terrified to touch him and feel him cold and empty. But I could not wait, as I brushed back some hair from his face. He was slightly warm, and he stirred at my touch. "Jane....my Jane." I smiled sadly, "I am back Taggart," I whispered to him. "I am going to clean your wounds and get you comfortable." Before I could move, he took my hand, "Leave me, leave me behind and run." I shook my head, "Never, never without you." He managed a slight nod, "Yes. Leave me here and run. Run west to your brother Woolsey. The men will find you." I had been fighting tears all day, and being reunited with Taggart was such a relief I could not fight then anymore. The tears quickly tumbled down my cheeks, "No, never! Do not ask me again." I laid my head down at his side and I heard him moan a little as he shifted to rub my head. "You! How you live to challenge me." A laugh escaped my lips despite my tears and I crawled up onto the tiny space in the bed next to him, pressing myself close. He wrapped a free arm around me, "Careful now..." he warned me softly. For the moment I did not care, I needed him close.

We curled together for a moment before he nuzzled my ear, "We need a fire Jane before you catch cold." I looked up into his eyes and nodded. Yes, I needed to make a fire for Taggart and then tend to his wounds. His clarity brought me back from the edge of my sorrow as I set to work. Soon a fire warmed us both, and it gave me light to care for his wounds, which were many. I removed his shirt and his pants, cleaning off any open wounds I could find, and binding the ones that were still bleeding. I was shocked that not a single bone appeared broken. It did not escape my eyes how many old scars were throughout his body, and it is clear this was not the first time he has been hurt. I took care with his face the most, as it was swollen, purple and bleeding. Finally he brushed away my attempts before pulling me back against his chest. "Quiet now....relax and let me keep you safe tonight." I nodded willingly as I buried my face into his neck and listened to his breath. My exhaustion took over quickly and I fell asleep in his arms. Somewhere in my dreams, I heard a voice calling to me, "My little dove, my brave, brave girl....you are a force that any man would be unworthy to call his own."