Status: In progress but looking for feedback. The Prologue has been trimmed! More chapters coming soon :)

Always Anyways...

Return of Alaric

It was two nights later, as I struggled to keep my eyes open and my feet moving after another long day of work. I heard the sound before I knew what happened. There was unusual noise coming from outside the dining hall, and soon the main doors burst open. A great cheer rose up among the men, as they jumped to their feet. It took a moment, but I heard the name Alaric in their cries and knew immediately what was happening. In strode Alaric, covered with dirt and grim from the road, over a fine layer of blood and gore from battle. Even his boots were stained slightly from the blood of many men and I feared how many more of my people died at his hand. Once he reached the center of the room, he gave out a great battle cry, which his men answered. I knew there was only one thing I could do, and perhaps it was an angel that whispered it in my ear to give me the clarity of mind.

I quickly poured a large mug of ale, and walked quietly through the men. When Alaric's eyes settled on me walking through, I met them. Once I was before him, I offered out the mug and bowed to him, "My Prince..." He took in my form for a moment, perhaps a bit surprised at my presence, as he drank a huge mouthful of ale. "There is plenty of rabbit stew, still warm from tonight's meal, my Prince, if you are hungry." I continued to meet his eyes as the rest of his men filtered in around us, finding places at the tables near the fire. He remained quiet and only nodded to my question. I returned to the pot, and scooped out a huge plateful, twice what I normally give the other men. I also broke off nearly a third of a remaining loaf of bread, bringing it back when he finally took his chair at the fire side. I passed it to him, quiet and humble in presence but my eyes meeting his as an equal. I bowed before him once he took it, and he continued to hold my eyes, "Princess..." he finally said.

There was nothing more spoken as he ate his meal with great hunger, while his eyes watched my every move. I quickly served the rest of his men, bringing stew, bread and ale for them as well. But in the men's jovial celebration from battle, they did not mind themselves well. As I served, they continued to taunt me, grabbing my skirts or my hands. I have learned ways to dodge their grasp, but it did not go unnoticed by Alaric. After yet another unwanted advance, Alaric's voice boomed over the normal singing and arguing of his men. "Princess!" The hand dropped from my leg and I lifted my eyes to meet his. He needed to make no gesture, for my feet took me directly to his side, with no impediments by his men. "My Prince," I bowed before him. He took hold of my eyes and offered out his mug, which I generously filled. "Let my men get themselves drunk, sit with me," He offered. Without any place to sit, I curled up at the side of his chair, sitting on the warm stones of the large fire place. He said nothing more to me the rest of the night, and seemed simply content with me there and now untouched.

Perhaps a few hours later, he personally returned me to my room, "Princess, I would request your presence tomorrow that we might speak in private." I was in no place to refuse him, so I nodded, "As you wish my Prince." With a nod, he closed the door closed behind me. I hurried to build a fire for Taggart before checking over his wounds. Tonight, Taggart did not fight me and I looked sadly at him as I checked the wound on his shoulder. "Taggart..." He opened his eyes through the pain and looked at me, "Yes my Jane?" I smiled sadly, "Alaric has returned." He nodded and lifted his other arm to caress my face, "Then tomorrow I return to service and you must remain here." I shook my head, "It is not that simple. He has requested to speak with me tomorrow." Taggart carefully pushed himself up into the sitting position, "That is fine, but I will return to his service because I must watch out for you. Once you both have spoken, you will return here. No more of this working for the men." I began to protest and Taggart looked at me, "Jane, I see how you've suffered. You are pale and feel small in my arms now. I know how your body hurts, I can feel your aches. I know them well. This is enough, you have done enough now. You bought me precious time to heal."

I started to protest once again, and he took my face in both of his hands, "Hush now....it is time for you to rest." Tears immediately tumbled down my face from his touch, "I never told you, Beremud....he...tried to take me 3 nights ago. But I stopped him and I was afraid to tell you." Taggart's lip pursed into a thin line, "Do not worry about Beremud. He and I have an unsettled debt." I blinked back through my tears, "Will you kill him?? You cannot kill him without angering Alaric." His lips curled into a smile I have come to know is saved for only very dark occasions, "Do not fear, my ways are many. He will suffer for each misuse of your body, for each finger that touched your gentle skin. He will know all of his crimes and I will watch the life drain from his eyes for it." I felt like a small child when the words tumbled from my lips, "I do not want to bear Alaric a son!" Taggart quickly pulled me into his arms, hushing me gently. "No one will ever take you against your will Jane, no one." He whispered in my ear as he rubbed the back of my head.

I do not even remember falling asleep but next it was morning, and Taggart was already dressed and kissing my head, "Gentle Jane, sleep now and I will be with Alaric when he comes for you." I reached for him, "Please, stay!" I begged him one more time. Taggart covered me over with my cloak, "Rest." I knew I could not stop him, and watched desperately as he slowly walked out of my room with a limp he tried to hide.