Status: In progress but looking for feedback. The Prologue has been trimmed! More chapters coming soon :)

Always Anyways...

Talk with Alaric

My mind spun once Taggart left and I could no longer sleep. I fretted endlessly about what Alaric wished to speak with me about. From my few impressions of him, he is little more then a warlord that had a reason in trying to make his family name legitimate. I have no idea of the negotiations between his father and mine, but all I know is my Nicolito hung in the balance. My tender, sweet, protective Nicolito. My brave brother, who would go so far away at my father's bidding not only for our family, but for our kingdom. I can only imagine what he found waiting there for him, with such pressures on his mind to produce an heir. It wretches my heart and makes me more ill then any other thought in my mind. So I knew I could not let my mind wander, I needed to keep focused and strong both for Nicolito and for myself.

It was several hours later, but before noon when the door opened and Taggart was standing there. "Princess Jane, come. Prince Alaric requests you." He said formally and I nodded to him. Taggart walked me down the hallway at my side, his sword once again hanging at his hip. As we walked, he murmured in my ear, "Whatever you have been doing, impressed Alaric. Be strong before him and speak like the Princess you are." I nodded to his advice before we walked into the chamber.

It was a large open room, that perhaps was a court room once, but now was mostly empty with only a few chairs and what looked like a war table. Alaric was sitting in the lord's chair, leaned over relaxing with his feet out. Beremud was standing at his side, along with several other men. Taggart left me in front of Alaric and stood on Alaric's other side. I bowed formally before him, "My Prince, you wished to speak with me?" I stood proud, despite my dirty presence and less then noble appearance. I summoned all the training my father ever paid for, and stood head up, chin high and back straight as if I was wearing my father's crown and a long expensive gown. He nodded to me when I greeted him and shifted to sit up a little in his chair. "Well met Princess Snow Fox. You have surprised me with your ways Princess. I had heard many types of stories about you, and I was not sure of the woman before me when I first saw you. But it seems you are unique." I nodded to him, "Your compliments are well received my Prince." He smirked and looked over at his men, "Can't say I have ever seen a Princess serving soldiers or heard of them cooking and scrubbing floors!" He snickered and several men laughed low with him. I remained unmoved by his words.

"How did you come to be serving my men?" he said quickly getting serious again. I answered honestly, "I have come to learn some of your ways my Prince. When your man was unable to perform as your laws require, I took his place." I paused settling my eyes onto Beremud, "The services I performed seemed more in line with your wishes, for there were other options offered." Alaric leaned forward, "What does that mean?" he asked pointedly. I remained stoic, "Well my Prince, I heard about my father's treaty that was made with your own King. And I intend to support whatever my father's wishes..."I could not finish my thought because Alaric interrupted, "Skip all that and speak plainly Princess." I nodded respectfully, "Plainly spoken my Prince, I either served your men as I did, or I would have to serve them on my back in their beds." I saw his face contort and his head whip toward Beremud. Beremud said nothing and Alaric quickly looked among the other men but no one spoke this time. Even Taggart remained quiet, so I took his cue and stayed the same.

Alaric slowly rose to his feet, "And tell me Princess, who offered that second choice to you?" I kept my chin high and did not flinch as I spoke, "Your Captain, Beremud, and two other men." He took a step toward me, "Point them out..." he ordered, to which I raised my hand and pointed at the two other men who burst into the room stepping over Taggart's beaten body. Without hesitation, Alaric spun around and grabbed Beremud by his throat, "You would dare taint her?? When I specifically said she was to remained untouched by anyone?!!" Beremud was gasping and struggled to breath, "It was a threat, nothing more. She was never touched." Alaric immediately started punching him in the face several times while Beremud did not even dare defend himself. When Alaric released his body, it dropped to the floor bloodied and broken. Again, Alaric did not stop as he drew his huge broadsword and stepped toward the group of men. The seas parted, and only the two men involved were left in the middle. Not a word was spoken as he drove his sword through the first and did the exact same to the second. Even I gasped at the swift cruelty of it, when the men did not even do more then taunt me with words.

Once he wiped off his sword on the second body, he resheathed it before stalking toward me. I know my eyes widened with fear and I took a single step back. But I did not dare continue as I was more afraid of my punishment if I ran. He wrapped his tough hand around my throat, but did not squeeze. I grabbed for his wrists as he held me there, "Answer me truthfully. Were you taken against your will?" I looked back at him firmly, "No my Prince. Never once." He promptly released my throat and lowered his hand, "Then I am glad because I have an offer for you that I want you to consider." I did my best to regain my composure, and lifted my eyes back up to meet his, "Yes my Prince." He searched my face for a moment before he continued, "You have impressed me and I find you quite worthy. I would like you to accept a proposal of marriage, to me. We are both of noble stock, and our union would further join our lineages together. If my sister cannot come with child, then you as my wife can bear a son in her stead." I did not dare move my eyes toward Taggart or falter in my answer. All that flashed in my mind was Nicolito, so I answered as the well trained daughter that my father would want me to be. "I could not accept a marriage proposal without the blessing of my Father. If this is what he wishes for me, I will serve my kingdom and gladly accept. My heart would open and welcome your kingdom and its people." He smirked, "Spoken like a true Princess. Very well then. I will send my proposal to your father the King. Until then, I hope I can make your stay at my manor more acceptable. I believe a new room is in order for my future bride, and perhaps a maid to tend to your needs. I know little of what women need." I felt my chest tightening, and my legs shaking, but I forced it all away. "You are generous my Prince, I thank you." I waited for him to continue, but I prayed this was nearly the end, as I did not believe I could continue this composed for much longer. "I will escort you to your new chambers, and let you freshen up. I want your company at dinner this evening." I bowed before him, "I would be glad to, my Prince."

He motioned at Taggart who fell in line behind us, and he led me to a different section of the manor house. Alaric opened the door to a large bed chamber, complete with bright windows opening to an inside courtyard. It had a wide bed, and a tall stone fire place. There were clearly no mice in this section, and the room was prepared with stacks of wood and fresh water and bowls for cleaning. He let me walk inside, "When the cook arrives, I will have her bring you some fresh food." I stepped inside and spun around, "The woman named Madge, who I believe is your cook, I would ask my Prince that she be allowed to tend to me. If that would serve your purposes." He waved his hand unconcerned, "Fine fine, Taggart, see that this happens." Alaric bowed slightly, "Until this evening Princess." I bowed in return, "My Prince." He handed Taggart a large key before walking out. The last thing I heard was his large footsteps walking down the hallway, as the room started to shrink and around me started to go white. I tried to mumble for Taggart, but my knees buckled and all went dark.