Status: In progress but looking for feedback. The Prologue has been trimmed! More chapters coming soon :)

Always Anyways...

Alaric's Demands

The following morning, I was dressed in all the trappings of my station. I had nearly forgotten how time consuming and exhausting it is, just to be dressed in such a fashion. My head felt unbalanced by the heaviness of my formal crown, for I so rarely wore it. When I appeared from my dressing chamber, I found Lord Kenrick dressed to match. He was in the finest brocade tunic, with a fresh sweeping cloak around his shoulders. The satin royal sash worn proudly against his chest, as his family's noble crest hung glittering around his neck. Kenrick smiled upon seeing me, and walked over to finger Gannon's medallion that hung from my neck and was pinned to the front of my bodice. “You are a sight Jane,” he murmured to me quietly. I smiled in return, “We will give him only the best show Kenrick.”

I was never told, nor did I think to ask of where Prince Alaric was being held. It gave me a small sense of relief to know that he was not in my father's dungeons, but instead in an isolated and nearly abandoned tower on the west side of the castle. However, when I saw the room for myself, it might have been better that he was in fact in the dungeons. The room was drafty and the windows shuttered over only with wooden frames, from which wind whistled through the breaks in the wood. The fireplace was small as the room held a simple straw bed with one blanket and no other furniture. It felt damp and cold despite the fire burning, and smelled like mold mixed with a sour air. Lord Kenrick himself unlocked the door, and the guards filed into the room, leaving me the last to enter. Alaric scrambled to his feet at all the visitors, scowling at each face. My guards parted and I was left to stand at the center of them, facing Alaric directly. He looked suffering, and not in good health. No longer did he seem the large imposing giant that I first met. Now his face was gaunt, his body deflated, as his tattered and stained clothes made him appear no better then a town drunk. I can not deny the guilt that I felt upon seeing him because my accommodations, while meager and small, were far better then this.

Alaric set his eyes on me for a moment and I bowed formally before him, “Greetings Prince Alaric. I have been told that you requested to see me.” His continued silence worried me, as his eyes grew colder at my presence. Kenrick was immediately seething at my side, “Speak to your Princess, prisoner!” he growled. Alaric's eyes moved toward him, and his lips twisted into a crooked smirk, “Lord Kenrick, is it not? As I have learned, you are the Princess's Privy Councillor. How...wonderful.” His voice dripped with darkness, “Are you the next to crawl into her ever popular bed?!” Kenrick withdrew his sword with a dramatic swish, “Perhaps you might try insulting me without your tongue!” Calmly, I reached out to Kenrick, laying my hand against his arm. “Prince Alaric, did we come here to be insulted? Or is there a reason you have been so determined in your requests?”

He turned back to me now, “You....you are to be my bride! I am a noble Prince of my land, my father's honored son. Yet see how I am treated!” he roared with a sweep of his arm. I nodded simply, “You are not well thought of by my father. There is little I can do to change the mind of a king.” He laughed at me which was quickly ended by hard coughing. It was clear that he was even more unwell then I first realized. “I will not be forgotten. I will not be left here abandoned like some lost dog, Princess Snow Fox. I can not be contained so easily by your father's stone walls!” I nodded in agreement, “No one has forgotten you, my Prince.” He took a step toward me, which caused my guards to flinch, “Has my bride not forgotten me?? You have never once seen to my needs!!” I smiled sadly, “Then I apologize and beg for your understanding, for I am in a terrible position. I must please my father the king as well as you. And as I have stated, he does not think well of you. But speak honestly with me, and I will personally see that your needs are met, if possible.”

He seemed to soften at my offer, but only a little as he nodded. “Repeatedly, I have asked for a more suitable location, or my basic needs to be met. Even I did not dare treat a Princess like a common criminal.” I looked around the meager room, “I will have my personal maids gather provisions to make this room much more comfortable. Tapestries for the windows, more blankets and some furs. Perhaps a table and chair, a candle and books if you prefer also.” My offer brought a smile to his face, “This is my bride...the one I have come to adore!” I tilted my head and with the sweetest of smiles responding to his compliment, “Do you adore me, my Prince?” He nodded as a longing filled his eyes and he reached out a dirty hand to me, “I do, my Princess...I long to make you my Queen, and gift you with all your heart's desires.” I reached out in return, and placed my hand in his. I had a feeling his loneliness might be tamed by my presence, and I was determined to find the cause of his threats against Nicolito. He lifted my hand, kissing the back of it with dry lips, “My Princess...” he cooed. I turned back to Kenrick, “Has my Prince been fed today?” Lord Kenrick looked at me wearily, worried about my proximity but played along enough to answer me. “Last night,” he grumbled. I shook my head in mock disapproval, “This is not to my standards. I wish Prince Alaric to be fed as any man in the castle. Three hot meals a day with common ale.” Kenrick narrowed his eyes at me, but again the game needed to be played. “Were you treated any better? Besides, this is not the standards for criminals my Princess.” I tilted my head, “Criminal? Has my father branded him a criminal??” Kenrick grumbled as he looked down, “Not yet, my Princess.” I smiled winningly, “Very well then, see he is brought food immediately!” Kenrick spun around to one of the knights, “Go! Get what the Princess commands.”

I turned my attentions back to Alaric, “Now, my Prince. I am glad I finally came to see you. It has been too long. What else do you need?” He held my hand, rubbing the back of it admiringly. “Dear Jane, how I have missed you. Might you keep me company, if only for a little while?” This was a dangerous proposition as I did not dare trust him but needed information about his threats. So when I hesitated in my response, Kenrick quickly spoke, “You are either a madman or a fool if you think I will let the Princess be unescorted and left alone with a deviant such as you.” However Alaric's response surprised me, “Fine...even I kept my bride well guarded. See then she is brought a proper chair.” I turned toward Kenrick and I could see him seething at being ordered by Alaric, yet I added to his insult, “And bring me my bible. For I so enjoy reading it in the morning.” My lie was obvious to anyone who knew me, and Kenrick played our game despite himself. “As you command, my Princess,” barking at a guard to fetch the very items.

As we waited, Alaric kept hold of my hand, just caressing it softly, which is the exact opposite of how he once touched me at the manor. It was disconcerting, but I forced it from my mind as Kenrick was standing a mere arms length away from me. Even in the corner of my eye I could see how angry and imposing he looked, leaning his hand on his unsheathed sword in front of him. Soon all was settled, and I sat into the chair flipping through my bible as if I was looking for an exact page. I found something mind numbing to read, and read in a gentle voice until Alaric's eyes began to fight against sleep. It was as if I had tamed a great beast, how still and relaxed he sat there on his straw mattress without a word. Despite his docile appearance, I was glad to have Kenrick standing at attention just by my shoulder. I finished the chapter and softly closed the bible. “My dear Prince, perhaps I should let you rest.” His eyes quickly opened wide and he gazed at me, “You have brought me great comfort today Jane. Can I expect continued visits?” I tilted my head, “As often as my King allows them.” I hesitated for only a second, “It is such a shame that my father thinks only the worse of you. He was talking just this morning how you were threatening the kingdom and even my brother. I will be sure to let him know that I see otherwise,” which I ended with my sweetest smile to Alaric. He took my bait and sat up straight, “Lies my bride, those are all lies!” he stated firmly. I nodded, “They must be...for how could you harm a soul in this room.” He reached out for me, repeating himself, “Then you will come tomorrow?” I let him grasp my hand, “Again, if my King allows me.”

That's when he tightened his grip, and jerked me closer. His temper got the best of him and I could see in his eyes that he was now losing control over his emotions. The game was afoot indeed, for it was clear we were both playing each other. “Do let your father know it would be in his best interests to not let me be forgotten. There are those who rely on my word, and if my word is not forthcoming, it could mean dark days ahead.” I refused to be frightened, and played ignorant, “Whatever do you mean my Prince?” He ran his hand down the soft satin of my dress to the edges, as his fingers played with the trim. “Do you think that MY father has forgotten me? That he does not await word from his son as your father once did from you?” I smiled at him, “Of course not...” Alaric's anger finally boiled over, curling his hands into a fist, balling up the edge of my dress, “When you next visit me, my beautiful Jane, it would be wise to bring me a writing desk, ink and parchment. For if my father does not receive word from me by the end of the month, his worry might boil over and who knows what he might do or think.” I continued my naïve innocence, “Of course, what an excellent idea. I will be sure to bring it.” Alaric tugged at me to drive home his point, “Tomorrow?” I nodded, “Tomorrow.” He finally released my gown, smoothing it out gently. I bowed before him, heading toward the door. Just as my hands reached its edge, he called out, “Dear Jane, what is the date?” I turned back, looking at him leaning against the wall with an evil smirk, “Why the 21st of the month.” He folded his arms, “Ah...a mere 10 days left. And here with my kingdom over a week's journey away. It would be a shame if my message arrived late.” His glare was cold and heartless and while we were both playing each other, I had the most to lose.