Status: In progress but looking for feedback. The Prologue has been trimmed! More chapters coming soon :)

Always Anyways...

The Message is sent

It was hours later when Kenrick finally returned. I was relieved when he entered, but he collapsed into the chair next to me. “It is done....the messenger has just left.” he says rubbing his hand over his face. I turned toward him, “It took all this time to write the message??” Kenrick nodded, “Your father the king supported our idea. However your brother the crowned Prince felt otherwise and wanted a debate among every single royal adviser, from top to bottom. I am nearly certain we consulted the head chef and livery steward as well!” It was unusual for Kenrick to be so exasperated, so I could only imagine the heights this meeting had taken. I called for Jess to bring a goblet of wine before closing the office door behind her.

Kenrick took a large mouthful then leaned back in his chair. With a sigh, he lowered his voice, “Perhaps you are aware, but it still pains me to tell you. Your brother Eadgar, the crowned Prince, does not think highly of you.” I hung my head in shame, knowing this truth all too well, “Yes...indeed I know. He enjoys reminding me.” Kenrick took another big mouthful of wine. “I also feel you should know that your....brother actually suggested we gift you as a peace offering to Alaric and ship him immediately back home with you as his prize. I drew my sword on him for the suggestion.” I gasped, both for my brother's suggestion but also for Kenrick's bold response before the king. He looked over at me still weary, “But your father did not hesitate in refusing with absolute words. His look toward your brother made it clear not to suggest it again.” I leaned forward, dropping my head into my hands, “Eadgar was the most angry when I was returned to my father's house. He could only speak of the ruined trade agreements and loss of revenue. He hinted that I was a traitor for actively going against my King's wishes in the matter. I heard him roar that I should be sent back to my King for punishment or tossed from the walls for my insolence.” Kenrick shook his head, “Nicolous would never have seen your father agree to that!” I sighed sadly at the fresh memory that came flooding back, “Nicolous promised to squire me away and hide me in some manor house all the while risking his brother's, the future king's, ire. I refused him.”

Kenrick just drank at his wine quiet for a moment, “Jane...I do not dream to know your heart on this matter. For you keep it quite private....but being unwed will make you an easier target under your brother's future crown. I do not presume to rush you on such a decision, but your father will not always be king.” I felt a cringe in my heart when he spoke those words, as my mind went to a distant place. Taggart was so far away that he seemed now almost a dream. My time in his presence, his words whispered in my ear, his arms tightly around me...all images now had creeping fog in my memories. I was lost in my thoughts, as I struggled to clear away the fog and refresh all that I held so dearly. It was then that I felt Kenrick's hand against my shoulder, “Jane....Jane, please do not be upset over what I said. I said it because I wish only to see you safe.” I touched my own cheek unsure if tears were flowing, but they were not so I lifted my head, “I know...” I murmured back to him. Kenrick smiled slightly and sipped more at his goblet, “I must ask....Madge charged me with this duty. Do you wish to entertain suitors?” I stood up quickly, and just as quickly shook my head, “No...no absolutely not.” I responded firm, walking to the window.

I gazed out through the tiled glass and wished this conversation quickly over. Kenrick turned back to look at me, “Do you wish me to make any thoughts on the matter known to the court?” Again I shook my head, my voice edging with anger, “No, they do not need to know anything of my wishes! I am not to be bought and sold. I am not to be won in a contest. I am not to be bribed and chided. I will not be locked away again to whither and die as a bird without the sky, slowly suffering as I watch from out my tiny window. No!” Kenrick put down his goblet and walked over toward me, “Dearest I did not ask this to challenge you or make you upset. For that is the last thing I would ever want. I ask so that I can do my best to aid and serve you. My answer will continue to be a resounding no.” I thought of my short time with Alaric and it unnerved me. “I would rather drop myself into the seas, then be given to that man.” Kenrick closed the distance, and I could feel the heat of his breath upon my neck, “Who?” My voice cracked with emotion, “Alaric.” Kenrick nodded, “It will never be so...never...not while I am alive.” I turned toward him, my eyes brimming as wet emotions seeped out. “My father is not a young man. What if we were to lose him sooner then we think? Eadgar would not hesitate to dispatch me from his sight. He always blamed me for my mother's death. He hated me for taking any attentions away from him. As my father's only daughter he adored me and doted on me. Eadgar has always been jealous because he could not hold my father's complete focus. Always!” Kenrick laid his hand against my cheek, rubbing away the large tears, “Do not think of these things...shhh. Do not upset yourself over events that have not happened.” I nodded to his kind touch and he continued, “Try to calm yourself. It has been a very trying day. Our message is away, and will quickly secure Nicolous' protection. Alaric is safely locked in a tower and I will have him told that you will not visit tomorrow. Let worries be far away for now.” I murmured, “You are right...it has been a long day.” He smiled at me, “Perhaps tomorrow we can go for a ride. I know how it helps to clear your head.” That certainly caused my smile to return, as I whispered, “I have not ridden in so long.” Kenrick nodded firmly, “Then tomorrow, we ride! Come now, Jess has already fussed at me. It seems you would not eat your evening meal until I returned.” I nodded shyly and Kenrick threw open the door. “And I am starving!” he announced stepping back into our main chamber, sending the maids buzzing. I could not help myself in following after him with a wider smile.

Kenrick kept his promise, and before we even looked toward the office the following morning, our horses were saddled and wait for us to depart. Kenrick allowed only two guards to follow us at a distance, to give me the time and space to be as I wished. He let me follow the pathway I wished, and we stopped our horses atop a hill that allowed a wide view of the sweeping farmland below, crops high and waving in the gentle breeze. I smiled over at Kenrick, “Can I dismount....and stay here. Just for a short while.” Kenrick nodded, “As long as you wish my Princess. These are your lands.”

He was so giving and gentle with me, as he helped me dismount and allowed me to wander for a bit. The sun felt warm and restorative, itspowers reaching all the way deep inside of me. I daydreamed of walking hills like this with little worries in my mind, only the beautiful day before me. I saw small figures walking in and among the grains, so I sat and watched them for a bit before leaning back and letting the sun pour down over my face. I heard Kenrick settle down next to me with a content sigh himself.

After a bit, I opened my eyes, gazing over at him, taking in every detail of his features as the sun illuminated his face. I could see that his hair had slight blond streaks in it, and his short beard held the same colouring. In the middle of my study, he turned toward me and smiled, “My Lady...” I blushed at being discovered, “My Lord.” I murmured back. He chuckled as he held my gaze, “What do you command?” he asked quietly in jest. I raised an eyebrow at his challenge and commanded “To stay here forever with this moment frozen, and never leave.” Kenrick leaned back on his elbows and joined me in staring up at the fluffy clouds of sky, “I would be a happy man if I could follow every word of that command.” I heard his voice relax, and saw the tense anxiety ease out of his shoulders. Finally he flopped on his back with a soft grunt, “I have always thought these lands are beautiful.” I shifted over, resting my head on his stomach as I used to do with Nicolito, “They are...” I agreed. Kenrick began to rub the top of my head, “Almost as beautiful as their Princess.” I giggled and peeked over at him, “You tease me!” He looked back at me serious, “Never my Princess,” he answered with a wink. The peace of this moment allowed me to close my eyes, warmed by the sun and comforted by the gentle caress of Kenrick's hand.