Status: In progress but looking for feedback. The Prologue has been trimmed! More chapters coming soon :)

Always Anyways...

Renewed Faith

Madge helped me straighten myself up, and then I headed down to Kenrick's chamber first. Outside the door were stationed four royal guards which seemed a little ridiculous. Respectfully they nodded to me as I stopped and without question, they opened the door. I was shocked to find Lord Kenrick shackled by his one wrist to a ring at the fireplace. As I carefully stepped inside, he looked up sorrowfully as he sunk to his knees before me. “Unchain him, that is completely unnecessary.” The guards exchanged worried looks, “Are you certain my Princess?” I narrowed my eyes at them, “You have already taken his sword. This man did not threaten me, this is completely outrageous treatment!” The guards did not hesitate another moment, in unchaining his hand. But instead of standing, Kenrick slumped forward, remaining on his knees. “Leave us.”I ordered sounding much like my brother in that moment. The guards closed the door behind them, leaving Kenrick and I alone in his chambers.

He could not even lift his head to look at me, everything about his being spilled out sorrow and anguish. I stepped forward slowly, as if I might frighten him away, and reached out to tenderly rub the back of his hanging head. At my touch, he leaned forward, pressing his face into my skirts, “Jane, forgive me....forgive me,” his voice cracked with emotion. “What do I have to forgive Kenrick?” I murmured quietly as I continued to caress his hair. He answered in a broken tone, “This happened under my watch...” His hand curled carefully around my skirts, “I cannot understand how she got hold of my seal. I have failed you.” His shoulders were shaking and his body seemed unable to hold up his own weight. I sighed at seeing my faithful and honourable Kenrick so broken. So I joined him, kneeling down in front of him, taking his face in my hands. “You have not failed me” I whispered to him. Finally his eyes met mine, and I could see that his cheeks were wet with tears. “It could have killed you,” he whispered back. I blinked at him solemnly, “But it did not. It is I who owes you an apology. I should be stronger, I should have more faith. I panicked.” Kenrick shook his head, “You never have to apologize to the likes of me.”

My voice was soft as I moved to the real issue, “Aye, I do. This is not only an affront to me, but also on you.” Kenrick paused as the idea had not occurred to him. “On me...” he repeated slowly. I nodded, “You had no reason to give her money for such a purpose, for you knew the truth between us.” Kenrick nodded slightly, “I would never have such purpose as to harm you.” I smiled sadly, “I know.” A deep sigh escaped as his head grew heavier in my hands. “I could have suffered a naïve girl who took bad advice from those who wished to cause her trouble. But this is much worse,” he murmured as his mind started to think about the series of events. I could only agree, “Aye…and it pains me to list the names who would wish harm on me, disgrace on you and create a great wedge between us.” His eyes blinked a few times, as the surprise of that thought settled into the realization that I had already come to. “To go to such lengths….such deception…it would be treason.” I tilted my head, afraid to use that word myself, “Revenge at the very least…taking something dear from me that mirrors what they had taken from them.” Kenrick squeezed his eyes closed, taking the blow of this discussion hard. I was quick to continue, “But it pains me to say there could be another possibility or at least another factor. Eadgar.” Kenrick was confused, “Eadgar? But what role would he play in this?” I sat back on my heels, “He came to my chamber as Madge was comforting me. He was extremely angry…with me and all I have done since returning to the castle. His dislike for me has only grown.” Kenrick pursed his lips, “His hatred for you is well known Jane, do not protect him even now with such a choice of word.”

I quietly told Kenrick how my brother had threatened to solve this problem and he was shocked, “Hang everyone…on what grounds? With what evidence?!” I bit my lip, “For no reason other than to see me broken, in pain and suffering. Such is the way between Eadgar and I.” Kenrick ran his hand over his face, “I did not realize his feelings took him to such lengths.” I sighed, “I am embarrassed to admit that they do. You tried to warn me, but I fear it is even worse than I thought.” Kenrick nodded, “For a Prince would have no trouble entering into locked rooms, or passing guards without questions and having possession of such a thing as a Privy seal. Oh Jane…this is more sinister then I could have thought. I was sure I would find lingering servants of Alaric, not this.” He reached out, gently taking my hand, “I have failed you and I will fail you again because I cannot protect you from a Prince. It is beyond my power. I do not think I can watch you suffer even more.” I shook my head, “Do not use that word…A Princess and a Prince are equally matched and my father is still King. Despite how much Eadgar wishes it otherwise, I am well loved and protected by my father, who charged one of the noblest and bravest knight of the realms to be at my side.” He took my hand, kissing the palm, the second time he had done so today, “You always think me more than I am Princess.” Kenrick pressed my hand to his cheek as I smiled, “I speak the truth, as always. Have you not heard any noble tales Lord Kenrick? The knight always slays the dragon to save his Lady.” He chuckled at my silliness, the first time a smile has crossed his lips since this bad news was realized. “I would slay a thousand dragons for you my Princess.” I nodded solemnly, “I know my Lord, I have always known.”

Renewed in our faith of each other, we sat quietly as we devised an approach to move forward. There was no way to accuse Eadgar of involvement, and neither Kenrick nor I wanted to see his family implicated in trying to harm the princess. The punishment could be only death for such a crime. Plus there was no clear way to prove who in his family were involved. Even worse, Alaric’s potential could not be ignored. It was possible that Alaric and his father were setting up others to take the fall for their attempts on my life, which would mean even more danger was awaiting this castle and its lands. The only course was to do nothing. There was one thing we disagreed on, what to do with Lady Jess. I felt she had learned from her mistakes, but Kenrick could not excuse them. Kenrick felt the only way he would be settled with the idea was for Jess to be assigned to another Lady, and for him to seek a new maidservant from outside the castle, someone who was not tainted by the politics and the whims of those who have served for generations. But that task was not easy to accomplish. We approached Madge and she felt there were a few local girls from her manor that might serve me well. When she returned home, she would find the best suited and send them back with the guards. Kenrick was pleased with this solution and it was the best compromise that could be reached. As much as I hoped to move forward from this and regain a sense of normalcy, again my peace would be short lived.