Status: In progress but looking for feedback. The Prologue has been trimmed! More chapters coming soon :)

Always Anyways...

Return of Taggart

Aryness fit in like a missing puzzle piece. There was little I needed to instruct her on, for she seemed to know so much already. And if she did not, she was confident enough to ask and carry through without needing endless detail. Yet at the same time, the girl had a keen eye for recognizing things that needed to be handled. Instead of bothering and fussing over my eating, she realized how busy my title as Regent kept me. My midday meal quickly changed and became small pieces of meats, cheeses and breads that would be placed on a plate at the side of my desk. It allowed me to nibble while not preventing my work from continuing. When Aryness would answer my door, instead of handing me scrolls directly, she began to remember the servant's positions and create piles of similar scrolls. This eliminated my need to be constantly organizing my desk, and sped up the efficiency in which I could handle a section of the castle. What was even better, I could have Aryness read scrolls if I was searching for one in particular or check my sums when I needed a second eye. Then as the day would wind down, she would begin filing the scrolls away that were already managed. This was a great weight off my shoulders, and made the ache of missing Kenrick ease just a slight bit.

It was quiet night, and I had finished in my office at a reasonable hour. I still had numbers and sums bouncing in my head and I feared that I would not be able to sleep. Yet I must have, for I awoke from a gentle caress to my head. It was a wonderful feeling making me smile, as it slowly brought me to life. My fire was low but still burning and I saw the long shadow against the wall before I turned. On the edge of my bed sat Taggart, and he was leaning down close to my face. When my eyes met his, he smiled, “My beautiful dove.” I instantly threw my arms around his neck, and our lips were drawn together in deep passion. But he just as quickly withdrew and I could see his eyes looking me over concerned, “Your brother Nicolous is well and Lord Kenrick is doing his best. But both insisted I return to check on your welfare. I have gotten disturbing reports of your brother Eadgar.” I did not try to deny it, “I am fine....there is no reason to worry.” Taggart's eyes drew dark at my response, “Do not lie to me to protect him. He does not deserve protection.” I reached up, rubbing his face gently, “I would never lie to you. I am fine. Do you not see me with your own eyes?” Taggart's face softened again, “I got reports...he threatened you. I can end his life tonight, erase his sway over your life.” I quickly took his face with both hands, “No...no Taggart. Please do not for it would help neither of us.” He nodded to me, for I knew deep in my heart if he truly wished it done, my brother's life would have already been ceased before anyone could have known otherwise.

But I had my own questions that needed answers, “What of the progress of freeing Nicolito? Is he coming home soon?” As always Taggart is vague, a man of few words, “Yes...all is progressing.” But this time it was not enough to sway me, “What can I do? There must be more I can do to help his position!” Taggart shook his head, “You are already doing it, by staying here and staying safe.” I sighed, but before I could protest more Taggart continued, “I had to come...I had to see you were safe.” His hand reached out, curling his fingers under the collar of my nightgown, pulling out the necklace carrying his ring. Without a word, he unclasped the necklace, sliding the ring from the chain and placing it back on the very finger where he once left it. He placed his opposite hand against mine, pressing our palms together. Our rings matched, softly clinking together as our fingers entwined. Taggart gazed into my eyes, and his other hand pulled me close against him. “Say as I do...” he whispered and I answered with a nod. “Heart of my Heart...Love of my life...Now and Forever.” Our voices tenderly echoed the other, as our hearts seemed to beat in unison. When my last whisper faded, he leaned forward kissing me lovingly. How I had missed him, how I had ached to have him return to me. My skin tingled, my body yearned to be every closer, my mind surged with all the emotions I have been carrying. Tears started to seep from my eyes as we kissed, and Taggart slowly joined me on the bed, pulling himself ever closer to me. “Shh....shh...tonight I am here. We are one and you are safe.” He whispered in my ear. Tonight was not one of frantic overwhelming emotions, but one of tender longing. Our bodies again pressed against one another, moving as one, entwined together. Our kisses were never ending and I could feel him on every inch of my skin, as if his love had infected me and spread throughout my body. We did not rush, and he caressed my hair, pressing his fingers tight against my skin as if our bodies could melt together. I curled my hands into small fists around him, before they would peel open like a flower and slide down his back, tracing the line of his tight muscles. When we finished, he continued to hold me close and I buried my face in his chest, “Do not disappear again. My heart cannot bear it...Please!” I felt his head nod as it rested atop mine, “I will wake you before I go.” I tried to fight sleep, wanting to hear every breath, feel each beat of his heart and the touch of his hands against my skin. But the comfort of being with him overwhelmed me, and I drifted for a while.

This time I was awoken with a soft kiss as he whispered my name. I could see that the sky was just beginning to lighten, and his time of shadows was ending. “Remember our words...our pledge...I will return.” I nodded, swallowing back a cry as I felt him slip from my arms to gather his clothes. As he pulled his shirt on last, I lunged for him, wrapping my arms and legs back around him. He sighed, “My Dove...I will return.” He kissed me deeply as he lifted me up, placing me back in my bed. He withdrew, but was lingering as he rubbed my cheek one last time when it happened. I had not heard the sounds, so lost in my desperation to have one last second with him. Perhaps even Taggart missed the first few himself, but his instincts took over as he spun and caught a dagger midair. My eyes barely caught the form of Aryness at the end of my bed. Her eyes were wide with shock when he managed to catch the dagger she had thrown at the middle of his chest. Before Taggart could release the dagger in return, my hand reached for Taggart's arm as I cried out in a hushed tone, “Stop...no!” Aryness was firm, “Get away from my Lady!” She threatened, but I could see uncertainty and hesitation growing already in her eyes. Taggart stood up from my bed, his eyes narrowed, taking in her form. “You must be Lady Aryness...” He responded but then paused, raising an eyebrow. I realized there was another dagger still in her hand, but she has not raised it to throw yet. The moment passed, “Consider yourself lucky...” and in a sign of trust Taggart tossed her dagger away carefully. “Keep her safe,” he asked and without a second look, he climbed into my window and jumped.

Aryness ran after him, but by the time she looked out he was already gone. “My Lady....where did he go??” I could only smile sadly at her, “He is gone.” She ran back to my bedside, “Is that your Lord? My Aunt told him there was a dark one who claimed your heart. Is that him or do I call the guards?” I nodded slightly, “Yes that is him, but he is no Lord.” Aryness seemed confused, but believed my words nonetheless as she quickly put down her dagger. “I came to raise your fire before dawn. When I heard a man's voice in your chambers, I just reacted. Please forgive me my Princess, I thought I was protecting you!” I shook my head, already knowing those facts in my heart. In fact, I was touched by her devotion to me. “Forgiveness is not needed..but tell me how did you learn such skills?” I asked her in return. Aryness smiled a little embarrassed, “It is one of the skills my father taught me for hunting.” She quickly checked me over, not at all embarrassed to find me in such a state. “Do you need anything? You are well?” I nodded, but hung my head as tears started to roll down my face. It was no easier seeing him leave then to awake and find myself alone. I needed more time, I needed Taggart here with me like it once was. Aryness bit her lip, “Oh my Lady....I am so sorry...” she climbed into bed with me, and rubbed my back as my face dropped in my hands. It was never going to be easy, and my heart stuffed full of love strained under the weight of holding up such a love alone.