Status: In progress but looking for feedback. The Prologue has been trimmed! More chapters coming soon :)

Always Anyways...

New Trade

When the castle is abuzz with excitement, it means the office of Regent turns into controlled chaos. My father and brother Eadgar had secured a new trading partner from the East. The first time they were able to do so without the help of my former King. This was good news for our Kingdom and the joint trade would grow both kingdom's coffers. The first shipment of fruits and grains from the new kingdom were due to arrive at the end of the week, and coming with that shipment was the eastern kingdom's crowned Prince. He was scheduled to tour the lands and be introduced to our people so that trade might continue smoothly in any transitions. The very idea of a foreign Prince visiting our court made me squirm, but since trade seemed the sole focus, I tried not to worry even further about it. I had more than enough to worry over, between securing places in the royal stores, and preparing the ship to be loaded with our own barrels and grains, much less the preparations needed in the castle for a royal visitor and grand feasts.

I had full confidence in all our preparations, but naturally Eadgar did not. His late visit to my office the night before was full of threats if I did anything that would ruin this trade agreement. He insisted on knowing every single arrangement that was made for the Prince, including his chambers, food for the feasts and even questioning if a horse had been prepared for his personal use. When he was satisfied with every minute detail of the castle, he moved onto me personally. He set limits on what contact I would have, what I was to wear, even what conversations I was allowed to have with the Prince. It was clear he wanted me to stay as far away and unnoticed as possible. I listened to every word, keeping my eyes cast downward and my expression humble. I had come this far without upsetting Eadgar, I did not wish to do so now with something this important. For I feared if Eadgar grew angry, I would find myself stuffed in a barrel and tied to the mast of the Prince's ship when he returned home.

I could tell how upset Aryness was while he berated me for nearly 2 hours. Even Evandar stood stiff in the doorway of my office, his hand never leaving the hilt of his sword. At first neither reacted, despite how badly they may have wanted to. However Eadgar pushed the limits of his power, unable to help himself. I had softly spoken my hundredth “As you wish” when he snatched my arm, shaking me. “Are you trying to be smart with me?? Do you find this Kingdom a joke?” I quickly looked up at him, “No Eadgar, I am trying to do everything as you wish it!” I pleaded. He squeezed my arm tighter as his anger grew, despite how hard I tried to pacify him. “If only I had my wish....” I whimpered, “Please let me go...I am trying!” I saw Evandar take a few steps into the room, carefully closing the gap. At the first sign of any weakness from me Eadgar pounced, “Do not mock me Jane...” He shoved me away unexpectedly with great force, throwing me against the side of my desk. The pain to my back caused me to cry out, as I struggled to stay on my feet. Evandar and Aryness moved without hesitation to protect me, Aryness was at my side curling her arms around me with Evandar putting himself in front of both of us. Eadgar snickered, “If only I could have thrown you from the walls instead.” Evandar struggled not to draw his sword, as he glared back at his Prince, “My Prince, It is late and the Princess bids you a good night.” His words were only the most polite, but his tone carried a serious warning. Eadgar nodded to him before leaving the chamber. Evandar followed him out before pulling a servant boy aside, “Send for Captain Gregor, you will find him in the Red Rooster Tavern. Tell him his Princess requests him immediately.” The boy nodded and hurried off as Aryness quickly tended to me. “My Princess, did he hurt you? Should I call a healer?” I shook my head, “Just help me sit down....might only be some stiffness in the morning.” Aryness guided me to chair before pouring me a cup of wine. Evander closed the door, putting himself on the inside to watch over us. “Your brother is lucky he is a Prince. I have struck down men for less,” He grumbled angry. I looked over at him, “You showed great restraint, both of you. You have my thanks.” Aryness nodded silently before exchanging a look with Evandar but in his anger he avoided her eyes. Gregor arrived a while later and both men watched my door that night.

When the day finally arrived, I was relieved. Time had come to put on the best face for my Father and our Kingdom. My brothers Eadgar and Cadeon were to formally greet the Prince upon his ship's arrival. I was to meet his cargo ship and personally oversee the unloading to verify the shipment. This meant of course that I would have no formal introduction. But if it pleased Eadgar and put distance between an unwed Prince and me, then I was glad for the slight! Once I oversaw the final touches on the castle and the kitchens, I headed out to my small awaiting caravan. I would be riding alongside Aryness, Evandar and Gregor as wagons and servants would follow behind to transport all the goods into the royal store house. I could tell that Gregor was on edge, because he was barking at every single person who was within earshot. Evandar just perched on his horse with an amused smile, and finally could not resist himself, “We are unloading a ship, not leading two separate regiments into opposite flanking positions.” Gregor undoubtedly cursed him quietly in return as I could only hear Evandar chuckle before he turned to me. “I believe Gregor feels we are ready, my Princess.” I nodded to him before kicking off my horse and leading them out the side gate toward the docks.