Status: In progress but looking for feedback. The Prologue has been trimmed! More chapters coming soon :)

Always Anyways...

The Ship's Arrival

As we approached, I saw a large ship already awaiting us. Its dark red flag with a thick black cross flapping from high atop the mast. It was an impressive ship, strong hulled and in excellent condition. In fact I would have almost guessed this ship was brand new on its maiden voyage. There were many crew climbing all over the rigging and deck, ready for us to come and aid in unloading. As we rode up, I remained atop my horse to have a better view of the work with Evandar and Gregor on either side. My servants knew their roles and sprung into action. As soon as one wagon was loaded it was sent off, allowing another to come alongside and the work continued. I watched carefully as I immediately found the Captain of the ship, who seemed to be commanding all below him from the wheelhouse. He looked very bit the Captain, dressed in a long, large-buttoned, oiled leather jacket with high black boots. As seemed to be the style of this land, on each man's head was some type of scarf for a head covering. Before this, I had only heard of men wearing such head coverings. These stories came from the Land of Neverending Sands, where men were covered head to toe in robes to keep out the hot stifling air and were often said to be wearing long head coverings to also protect their face and eyes. This Captain had something similar, yet smaller and brighter. The multi-colored material was wrapped around his head about 3 times, with the end of the fabric hanging down his neck by about 6 inches ending in short fringe. Seeing this with my own eyes made me both curious and interested in this new land even more.

Yet there was one figure who did not move during the unloading, and once I noticed him, it felt that he was watching us in return. He was the only one high atop the rigging, near the crow's nest lookout of the main sail. The man was just hanging in the ropes, doing nothing but watching all that was going on down below him, in particular our little party. Trusting her keen eyes, I murmured to Aryness, “Do you see that figure atop the rigging of the main mast?” She cast her eyes up and nodded, “A man Mi'lady...” I tried to see any detail I could but it was nothing but a faceless shape, “What do you make of him?” Aryness continued, “I do not see him carrying any blades or weapons. But his clothes are in excellent condition, not a single stain or tear like the men down here.” I chuckled, “You can see that Nessa?” She smiled back at me, “Well yes and no...sight in a tricky thing but I will try to explain. Do not squint or focus too hard, notice the shape and the depth of the colours. If his clothing was old, it would appear less rich in colour. If it was stained, the colour would appear less solid and thick. I can tell his clothing is not ripped at the edges because the block of colour ends in a clean solid line before the next colour of clothing. I must be honest, it is easier to see because his clothes are so colourful, and not one single colour.” I was impressed, “And the weapons?” Aryness nodded, “Any metal would shine in this sun, giving off a sparkle or glint of light.” Evandar could not resist joining the conversation, “Is she a handmaiden or one of your best spies my Princess. Her talents are endless.” I peeked over at him, chuckling, “Then you agree with Lady Aryness's observations?” He shifted in his saddle, “Oh Nessa is completely right but I saw him nearly a hour ago.” She narrowed her eyes at Evandar, but did not volley a comment in return.

The unloading continued and I could tell by how the boat was sitting higher in the water that it was nearly empty. Gregor shifted in his saddle, “Not much longer Milady.” I nodded to him silently and as if on cue, the man began to climb down the rigging before flipping onto the deck in a rather grand and somewhat impressive gesture. It was clear he was watching us now as he bowed to our small party before leaping the stairs two at a time to join the Captain. I leaned forward interested as the Captain actually bowed before the man. They exchanged words then the man turned back to us. “Greetings from the Sea, my most beautiful creatures!” He saluted to us as Evandar and Gregor both stiffened in their saddles. “Most alluring maiden in blue, I beg that you would tell me the name of your flax-haired Lady!” It was hard to know who was more shocked - myself for this man being bold enough to address me, Aryness for being addressed indirectly, or my guards who now guided their horses forward, now protective over us due to this man’s intentions.

Gregor moved even closer to the ship, “Do not address the Lady directly! She is not here for that reason!” he barked in response. The man leapt up onto the very edge of the ship, “Can a humble man not complement an encaptivating creature in your land?” he finished by flashing a most charming smile. Before Gregor could refuse him again, he serenaded us with the beginnings of a poem to his Golden Haired Beauty of the West. Aryness was mortified and ducked her chin down but I could only giggle in amusement. It was Evandar that spoke next, interrupting him in mid-sentence. “That is quite enough Sir!” There was an edge in his voice I could not quite place. Aryness peeked over to him, “Please tell him the truth Evan,” she urged but Evandar did not take his eyes from the man nor his hand from his hilt. “We tell him nothing for his type will only want more!”

The standoff lasted a minute before the man spoke again, “Good Maiden, will you not speak even a hint of how to please your Lady?” I smiled widely as I looked at him directly, “I cannot for she is not so easily won by nameless men from the sea!” He seemed to enjoy the challenge and bowed to me slightly, “Then I, Dmitri of the Cossacks will work even harder to be worthy of a whisper!” Gregor looked to his partner, “We have seen enough!” Evandar nodded in agreement, “Indeed...Milady, I beg that we return you to the castle. This boat is nearly complete.” I nodded more because I was not sure how much more attention Aryness could take. My guards were thrilled to be returning and once we left the docks, Aryness finally sat straight in her saddle. But an interesting whisper was caught by my ear, and I doubt Evandar realized he said it aloud. “Never while I am here...never.”